You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Summer skating / training plans?  (Read 6526 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Summer skating / training plans?
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »
Well, summer means certain challenges to some of us. Rink closures, dramatic change in ice times, increased or decreased commitments, camp/clinic opportunities, competing outdoor activities... What do you plan to do this summer, on ice or off ice, to benefit your skating? :D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Re: Summer skating / training plans?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
I will join the kids ice dance camp for 6 days (3 hours per day per week) this summer. It's going to be a different experience than the ice dance class I've been attending. I hope it's worth the time and $$$, and that ice is not dangerously crowded.

I will also take one adult group class. Hoping that the 90 minutes class has enough people signing up so it does not get canceled (again). If it gets canceled, there is still an awesome group class with excellent coaching, its only flaw is studio ice. Nearly impossible to warm up and do MITF, but guess I could live with it.

There is also the 4 hour adult skating clinic in August which is usually a good deal, but somehow I did not quite enjoy it last year. Undecided at the moment.

Other than that, I don't know how often can I practice. The rink closest to me is closed for extended maintenance, and I have a hard time finding convenient time slots at home rink's summer schedule to practice dance / MITF.

Guess it's time to make an off-ice training schedule and stick to it... Cough cough.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:01:38 AM »
It's year round here.  She might pick up an extra freestyle and maybe see about more time with a coach.  I'd like for her to take intermed. moves by the end of summer.  Just to take advantage of school being out.  Then maybe she won't have to miss a day of school to test through spring.

It's club season so she has a comp every 3-4 weeks.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »
One night a week FS in addition to my normal schedule, but have to rearrange my normal schedule on some weekends, as it agilty trialing season and some weekends will be CRAZY with 7:30A first dog on the line when the trip is an hour away...

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
I'm lucky to have the summers off :) (I'm a teacher) I will still be teaching LTS a couple times a week, however the numbers have already greatly decreased due to the off season.  I'm fortunate to be able to skate a lot over the summer, lots and lots of ice time where I live, so I'm usually on the ice almost everyday, which isn't too much different than usual but I get to do more skating for myself, yay!!  I'd really like to go to a camp or clinic, however I'm really not sure which one to go to, and I know I'm running out of time...

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
I lose my set MWF 12 hour schedule to stupid irregular day off 10hour shifts.  I'll try to skate on my day off, but it's a crap shoot as to what rink I go to and it's harder to meet up with and skate with my friends.  I hope to skate the one day I'm off and also try to catch an occasional Saturday.  I have lined up an occasional private lesson to replace my inability to attend my regular Tuesday LTS.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
Well, all I know is it's mother's day tomorrow and I expect I will have the freestyle session all too myself.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »
Our adult ice time is getting cut nearly in half.. and even at that it's not a fully adult session - we are going to have 10 year old ice dancers out there too.  It will be interesting to see how that works out.

I have two more weeks of skating and then I'm off for 3 weeks for vacation, then I'll be preparing for the first test session of the new "year" later this summer.. whenever they get around to scheduling it.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 04:15:37 AM »
My last skate for the summer at my normal rink (5 mins from home) was on the 1st May as it is now shut for a plant change and other repairs. It is due to reopen approx mid July so until then my ice time will be much less and on much busier sessions than normal. My next nearest rink is also shutting nowish for an even longer summer break! 88)

We have ice time at 2 other rinks...

Rink 1
Olympic sized,
Miles away (3+ hours each way by public transport or 1hr 15 by car - no luck arranging a lift yet! :'( I don't drive...)
Only 1 2hr slot this month then a weekly 2hr slot starting from June. It will be really busy - full of competitive kids running programs. :-\

Rink 2
Curling sized rink (~45m by 30m)  :-\
Closer with better and cheaper transport links! (public transport = only 1hr 15 away ;D, Car = 50mins)
Running once a week until the start of July. Session split into 2x1hr 15mins slots so should be a little quieter. Might have to miss 2 sessions due to work...

Both are modern rinks... with... *gasp*... heating! :o This should be a novelty! Lol! My home rink is freeeeeezing! Off to rink 1 today...

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
Lots and lots of off ice because our rink isnt due to open until August.  However, there is a rink about an hr away, yet with my work schedule being all over the place..Im lucky to get their twice a month.  However when my family and I go on vaca last week in June, our condo does have an ice rink..so I will be able to practice quite a bit during that week(which I am looking forward to).   I will be also attending a seminar in two weeks in which the subject is my forte..acting and conveying emotion on the ice:)  Coach is running it and says she expects me to lead everyone else..so that should be fun.  But for right now..when Im not skating..Im trying to hit the gym more, work on my flexiblity and possibly a dance class(off ice).

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
Our local rink is closed til Oct, so I look forward to driving an hour plus in order to skate. hope to skate twice a week. goals--break in new boots, land a lutz, long term goal is the silver freeskate test, but that will take a while (next winter??)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
My rink closes mid-June to mid-August, so I'll be making the trek up north to Newark or Wilmington, Delaware.  If I can skate 1x per week I'll be happy!  With my schedule, we'll see (I start nights this week).  I'm more concerned with the fall, as I continue working nights, have 2 college classes, plus classes at work (I'll be in a fellowship program). Yikes! 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
My rink will be closed early June through (hopefully) no later than the first week of August. I'm competing and testing at the end of June, so that'll be challenging. I'm hoping to get to another rink about an hour away twice a week and get in at least 2 hours on my skates each time, but I'm concerned. As of now they never have freestyle after 6 p.m., and it's hard for me to get away from work before 4:30. Last summer, there was a late freestyle session one weeknight and then a quiet public right afterwards, so it worked out well.

At least gas prices are going down a bit...knock on wood.

There's talk of figure skating camp after my rink re-opens and before the kids go back to school. If that happens, I'm going to take a week's vacation then and do skating camp in the mornings. I just hope I'm not the only adult!

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
My main goal is to pass Adult 2 & 3 by the end of summer. I am going to try to skate 3-6 hours a week outside of my lessons.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
My rink just closed for the summer, and won't reopen until August 25th.  So, that means I can kick up more time at the gym building up some weak muscles AND head up north to the University of Delaware skating rinks (about 1.5 hour drive each way).  Because of my work schedule, skating will be very sporadic and lessons will be pick-up only (my main coach is spending the summer out of the country).  I'll live  ;D
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
Main rink has skate camp every day in the summer - it is like summer camp for recreational skaters so the kids are not exactly monopolizing the ice with programs, big classes, etc., they are on the ice for two hours in the morning and then two hours in the afternoon and the rest of the time they do regular day-camp things like crafts and lunch and stuff.  It is an interesting program because it takes place in the mall... kind of odd but is a good camp...

Anyway, I usually try to find out the week before how many kids will be in the next week's camp and what ages - if there aren't too many kids I will skate at my usual time at 10am in the morning a couple of days.  Otherwise, most of the adults end up skating at noon until the kids get back on the ice at 2... they will do an ice-cut before the noon session so I can probably do some figures...

Otherwise, Sunday morning dance sessions - I will probably pick that up again in the summer just to have quiet ice with just ice-dancers...

Will probably do a few sessions at some of the other rinks in the area - there is an adult session Monday at noon that is very poorly attended and a little pricey but is worth it so you are not fighting the summer crowds...

Must also meet with my coach so I can have some figures to compete at the end of the summer. I am thinking BI 8 and Front Serpentine - Left foot start (I have competed the Right foot start for the last two years and placed first both times - I think another Right Foot start and some might be calling me a sandbagger  :o - not really - the figures competitors are very forgiving!!!).

Keep thinking I will start more off-ice...  maybe later...
 ::>)

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
My ice time doesn't really change over the summer. My summer goal is to improve my level 2 field moves to the point where my coach isn't tearing her hair out at the RFO and LFI three turns, and the mohawk exercise! Also, to finally land a decent loop!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »
My ice time doesn't change in the summer.
Only difference is we lose club ice (but it converts to freestyle), so I don't have to pay $4 for that hour, and there is an extra 15 minutes from the zamboni break.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
I am going to pick up more ice this summer.  I am doing a 6:45-7:45 am session Mon-Fri.  Then I am going to do a group class in the evening once a week.  I'm going all out this summer.  May even pick up some more ice time after I get over the first week or two.  I plan to add in some off-ice stuff, but first need to get used to skating 5 days a week first.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
Pass. Canasta. Tango.

and maybe Rhythm Blues

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 03:20:07 AM »
No changes to ice schedule, and hopefully freestyle will be less crowded with the kids out (though as I do the 6:15am session it is usually empty!)

I have also discovered a 2hr public session on a saturday evening that is dead. The angry duty manager runs that one, so no "twirly stuff" (though apparently hockey races are fine? Ha). I'll be using those as an additional MITF session - actually better than most freestyle sessions!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 01:39:11 AM »
This summer my skating schedule has worked out much better than expected! Fingers crossed that the lucky trend continues. Dance and moves have taken priority at the moment over freestyle because I am finally skating on big ice with group coach. Kind of want to push moves harder to see if I'll be ready to test some of them in addition to dance!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
I plan I'm testing my Tango Romantica this summer so I signed up for the first 4 weeks of our program and will skate twice a week.  My pal will partner me on the dance so I guess we will skate at least once a week to work on that.  We will see how it goes tonight, I may have forgotten all the partnering. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
I plan I'm testing my Tango Romantica this summer so I signed up for the first 4 weeks of our program and will skate twice a week.  My pal will partner me on the dance so I guess we will skate at least once a week to work on that.  We will see how it goes tonight, I may have forgotten all the partnering. 

How great that you are planning to test this dance!  Congratulations!

I went back to look at this post to see what my summer skating plans were, LOL - I finally went to a dance - session - I get really frustrated because I can't do any of the dances by myself anymore and there are few men to skate with (the ones that used to skate are dead or don't skate anymore - wah!) - so one of my friends who is a coach at another rink helped me out- she did the Swing Dance with me and I shadowed her on some of the Preliminary Dances - it really helped!  I realized that I had been working on figures and doing small tight lobes, working on edge quality, etc. that I could no longer do bigger, longer shallower lobes like in the Dutch Waltz!

So I vowed to start with the first dances and just work on doing big swing rolls, longer swing rolls, work on doing nice, neat forward mohawks like in the Swing Dance AT SPEED until I get over my fear of doing that stuff!  Not sure what happened - I know as you get older your reflexes slow down but also I seem to have forgotten how to bend my knees which is infinitely essential to skating!!

So today went better - YES! ;)

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »
Yay Icedancer2 for today going better.  I enjoy working in basics like swing rolls, etc.

Today went well for for my first tango practice.  I think it should go pretty well, just have to work on my stamina for 2 patterns.