You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Yet another dress...  (Read 4023 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Yet another dress...
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
:) This one is the same dress I made a couple of weeks ago, using different fabric of coarse! It fits dd well and is actually slightly big, but not too big. The last dress was the same size, but I had issues withthe skirt and the shoulder straps so I ended up taking out about 2 inches in the girth(after fixing stuff over and over!)  My in-laws are in Korea and the pink fabric is fabric my MIL found for me. It's a bit sheer, so the bodice has candy pink lycra under it as well as swimsuit lining. The skirt is one layer. I'm not 100% happy with the neckline. I have issues using my serger on curves. I need to be taught how to navigate my serger on a curve! Those who use sergers, do you remove your cutter when you are sewing on a curve? I ran into my problem whils sewing on the curve. I should have used my standard machine for the sweetheart part of the bodice.

Originally, I was going to make this dress with pink mesh on top and with long sleeves. Hancock was closed and Joann's pink mesh was more purple, so I bagged that idea. I have never used nude mesh for the "strapless" look. I always use nude colored swim suit liner. I used mesh this time and I'm not sure if I like it. It is very stretchy and I don't like how the elastic turned out. It doesn't look too bad on her but off her, it isn't as nice looking as I would like it to be. Over all, I think the dress turned out cute. :) I still have a ton of the pink fabric left. I might try making the dress with pink mesh and long sleeves. I think I will opt to NOT make the sweetheart neckline and will make the rounded, "arch" neckline instead. :) Ignore dd's hair. She and dh had just returned from a 2 hour drive when she tried this dress on last night. LOL

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Yet another dress...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
To me, it's too low-cut, but I'm biased.  I think the sweetheart neckline looks better when it comes up at least as high as the underarms.  Otherwise, when they stretch their arms up over their head, I think it's too revealing.

Then again, I'm a prude.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
She is a beautiful girl!  I LOVE the fabric.  My dd is too young for that low of a neckline, but it is really, very, very beautiful.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
To me, it's too low-cut, but I'm biased.  I think the sweetheart neckline looks better when it comes up at least as high as the underarms.  Otherwise, when they stretch their arms up over their head, I think it's too revealing.

Then again, I'm a prude.

You know, I don't think it is supposed to be that low. I think it is the added length in it. She even asked me about it. I think it is the shoulder straps. They might be too long. Not sure. :) It does fully cover tho! I had her try a few things. :) I actually thought about making the straps shorter. That would bring the bodice up more. The mesh was/is really stretchy. I think that added in extra length, thus making the dress a little bigger. Thanks for the reply!

this is the one that is slightly too small. The straps are TOO tight on this one. I the fabric on this one is not mesh so it doesn't stretch as much. I might shorten the pink one. This one still doesn't come up to the under arms... but looks higher then the new dress.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »
She is a beautiful girl!  I LOVE the fabric.  My dd is too young for that low of a neckline, but it is really, very, very beautiful.

Thanks! I may adjust the straps. :) I also think a contrasting color would be pretty.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
Thanks! I may adjust the straps. :) I also think a contrasting color would be pretty.

I don't see straps in the photo - are they also flesh-colored, under the nude mesh?  That might salvage my DD's bodysuit.  My youngest is dying to wear it, but it's too low-cut for her.  If I jack it up with some straps, that would help.  Thanks for the idea!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Isn't the nude mesh the straps?  It goes over the shoulders.

I like the pink dress, but do think it needs to be a little higher on the torso. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
That's why I asked - I know I'm showing my age, but the sewing pattern-term for the mesh upper part of the bodice like that should be "yoke."  The OP said "straps," so I'm wondering if there are straps under the yoke that I can't see on my monitor.

Either way, hidden straps might be a solution for my DD's bodysuit.  I thought about adding a nude mesh lining to raise it up, but straps would be easier.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
That's why I asked - I know I'm showing my age, but the sewing pattern-term for the mesh upper part of the bodice like that should be "yoke."  The OP said "straps," so I'm wondering if there are straps under the yoke that I can't see on my monitor.

Either way, hidden straps might be a solution for my DD's bodysuit.  I thought about adding a nude mesh lining to raise it up, but straps would be easier.

Yes... straps are the mesh, nude part. Forgot about the term, "yoke". But yup, that is what I meant.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »

I like the pink dress, but do think it needs to be a little higher on the torso. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »

run a row or two of rhinestones above the material and on the mesh.  It will raise the bodice nicely and finish it off neatly.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:15:57 PM »
run a row or two of rhinestones above the material and on the mesh.  It will raise the bodice nicely and finish it off neatly.

I love that idea! I was wondering if rhinestones would help a bit too. It will also help hide the seam that wants to pop up. That is another thing I forgot about with the mesh. Thank you for the suggestion! I went and bought some pink mesh tonight(3.49 for a yard! YAY!) and I am thinking of remaking the dress with the pink mesh and long sleeves. Dd likes this idea. I thought about redoing this one, but I think I want to make it with a different neckline. Kind of nice that the dress only cost me maybe 5.00 to make!! I love the fabric. SO pretty and glittery. I'd like to find some artistic music that will go with this fabric! lol Un fortunately, her freeskate music won't match this dress AT ALL. Hee hee.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
It will also help hide the seam that wants to pop up. That is another thing I forgot about with the mesh.
You can press the seam down and then "stitch in the ditch" to hold it in place without it showing.
http://www.sewing.org/html/machstitch.html

My wedding gown had a sweetheart neckline and I remember using this technique to keep it tacked down.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
You can press the seam down and then "stitch in the ditch" to hold it in place without it showing.
http://www.sewing.org/html/machstitch.html

My wedding gown had a sweetheart neckline and I remember using this technique to keep it tacked down.

I would assume I would not serge that? Either handsew or machine stitch it? I was trying to figure out how I could get the seam to not show. Thanks!

Offline laurakate

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
This one is the same dress I made a couple of weeks ago, using different fabric of coarse!

Hey, i really like the dresses you have made and i think you're really talented! Did you have a pattern for it? If you did, please could you tell me which one. Thanks xxx