You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: question about "repeating"/competing learn to skate levels  (Read 3720 times)

Offline sleepyhead

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
question about "repeating"/competing learn to skate levels
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:42:32 AM »
None of the other mothers knew the answer to this - maybe my DD is unusually slow in progressing through the LTS levels.  :D
Whereas most skaters seem to pass a couple of levels from one competition to the next, mine will still be on the same level as last time. Will she be allowed to compete anyway, or is that not fair to the others who are new to the level??

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: question about "repeating"/competing learn to skate levels
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »
There's a "highest test passed" deadline on the competition entry forms.  Theoretically, all the skaters should have been at the same level on that date, making the month-or-so-later competition groupings more fair and even. 

I doubt anyone will make any sandbagging accusations.

Everyone progresses at their own rate, some faster than others.  Practice and lessons speed up progress.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:01 AM »
It's better for her to compete at the level her coach thinks she should be at than for her to be set up for failure in a higher level. Only the really fanatical mothers would dare say anything to you about unfairness in the LTS levels ;D

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
It is normal for kids to stay in the same level more than once.  Especially once they hit the freestyle levels.

The only reason other parents should complain is if it is clear your daughter has mastery of the skills and is being held back only to win.  If she just isn't ready to pass yet, then it's the right level for her.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
My littlest DD has the record for repeating LTS levels ... 2 years in a level that some kids whip through in a month or two. However, that's fine by us; she's enjoying herself, and doing well. We just let her go at her own pace.  Every kid develops differently, and has different physical coordination plateaus/gains.  Suddenly, this summer, she's starting to move faster and progress faster ... and we're seeing more progress. But, whatever she does is fine ... as long as she's enjoying herself!

IF it makes you feel better, my other child spent quite a bit of time at a particular LTS level, and is now well beyond the level of virtually everyone that whipped through the level (competitive track). Two reasons. The coordination to do a particular level wasn't there yet, and, also, the coach considered that level to be important and wanted to fully master the skill. It's paid off later ... as it was one that focussed one edges, turns, stroking and that, plus, the introduction to single jumps.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »
Very true about edge being a foundation for everything and that the better the skating skills are early, the better overall and the easier time a skater will (theoretically) gain more difficult skills.

Don't worry about it - if your skater hasn't passed the level, they haven't.  People will talk, that's the nature of things, you just go with the flow in that regard.   88)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with repeating a level. In fact, it is probably a good thing. Sometimes I think kids are passed up too quickly and don't have time to practice the skills they need to compete at that level. I know my daughter's coach did not want her to pass her LTS levels before she was ready to put her in that level for a competition.

Also, around here, it is not uncommon for kids to stay in a LTS level for more then one competition. Some will move up faster then others while others seem to stay in the same level for a bit. It's perfectly fine!

Most parents aren't going to say one word if a kid stays in a basic skill level for a few competitions. Those that do say something will probably always be the type to comment on other skaters... no matter what their child's level is.

Just trust your coach and enjoy your skater. :)  Sometimes it is a hard thing to just let things be... it's a lesson I am learning.  My daughter will be skating pre-preliminary for the first time, next week. When we sent the registration forms in, I was very concerned. My daughter was not only breaking new skates in, but she was also having trouble landing her axel consistantly. I was ok moving her up, but I wanted to try non-test first. Her coach said to put her in pre-pre. Her reasoning was that since dd has an axel, she should skate pre-pre. The last few weeks I have gone back and  forth, but dd is pulling it off. Her axels are there and while she doesn't land every  one, she is doing much better. Her programs are improving and while they aren't perfect, I think she will be ok! It will challenge her and that is good. Like I said, listen to your coach. He/she knows your child and wants her to do well. :)