You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I need to find a skate fitter who has a machine to stretch the width  (Read 3060 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
of my daughter's skates-- somewhere in the Mass/CT/NY area.    She needs more than a punch out spot- she needs the whole boot stretched in width.  HELP

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: I need to find a skate fitter who has a machine to stretch the width
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
I used this: http://www.amazon.com/Justin-Blair-Co-Womens-Stretcher/dp/B002PHXMFQ/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_7 sort of stretcher on mine.  It did a good job of stretching them, more so when stored my boots with it in them.  Allowing the boots to get heated up (like a car trunk) seemed to cause them to shrink again.

Just make sure you get one that does width- most stretchers are designed for length only.

My coach has a shoe stretcher like this: http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-Medical-Assisted-Devices-Stretcher/dp/B001ANTRQ4/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_15  it does length and width, but it is very hard to use because the back doesn't hinge to fit down in the boot.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
Thank you!  My older daughter rides horses, so I may be able to come up with one of those through that.

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »
Have you tried getting them heat moulded?  It is usually the best way to get them stretched.  Because of the layers of support in most skates, the shoe/boot stretcher devices may not work.

Where I live, no-one does heat moulding, so I do it myself, but I imagine any decent skate place could do if for you.