You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Oops - Ultima blades have changed.  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Oops - Ultima blades have changed.
« on: September 02, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
I previously claimed that Ultima blades are more difficult to use than similar MK blades, because they require more strength (longer spin rocker radius), and you have to control your motions more precisely because the usable blade length between the sweet spot and the toe pick is shorter.

That info was based on several Ultima runners made years ago, with factory ground edges. It is now out of date, by at least several years.

Ultima no longer sharpens blades at the factory. They add no hollow - sometimes it is slightly convex instead of concave. The factory profile is a lot different from what it was several years ago - for one thing, the toe pick is only slightly above the profile curve.

Virtually all retailers, even mail order companies, add a hollow to Ultima blades, and the good ones try to create a rocker profile that will suit the skater, especially up front.

One way of looking at this is that there no longer is a "standard" Ultima blade shape. Everything depends on the sharpener.

(Riedell doesn't sharpen at the factory either. I'm not sure about Paramount. MK/Wilson does, but many pros think they are more consistent than MK/Wilson, routinely reshape those blades too.)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Oops - Ultima blades have changed.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
Jackson/Ultima still gives a cursory sharpening to their skate sets, so that the skater can test the alignment.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
[See below]

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
Now I'm even more confused.

Just spoke to the Ultima customer service department. They say there is a factory grind, complete with hollow. You are right.

What I said is what the "expert" sharpener I've been learning from said. "Expert", because he is the best known sharpener in my area among the coaches, and charges the highest prices.  Signed pictures from famous skaters decorate his office walls. So surely he has to be right? But if what he says doesn't get manufacturer confirmation, he may be requesting unusual equipment from suppliers.

Where would you go to get accurate info about boots and blades and their care? Boot, blade and sharpening machine manufacturers don't provide much detailed info, unless I ask very specific questions. And when it comes to blade shapes, they handle everything like a trade secret.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »
You must be dealing with a different world than we are; our sharpener, who is a master by all references (including working for several skaters who are top World and Olympic level skaters) - is very happy to discuss everything blade related with anyone who asks, and has actually been to the Jackson factory and got tons of answers from them, and was given a full tour and everything.  He likes the Ultima blades, by the way, and really likes the Matrix ones due to the reduction in weight.

Maybe you should find another sharpener who is more collegial?  I would also be a bit - surprised - by a sharpener who changes the blade profile of a skate as a common practice as it would certainly reduce the consistency of the blades as well as the expected lifetime (i.e. you'd have to take off some of the sharpening portion to reshape the blade).

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:07:40 AM »
Sk8tmum, who is your wonderful sharpener?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:26:20 AM »
Query - it's not the Ultima blades that are shipped unsharpened, it's the new Riedell Eclipse blades.

http://www.eclipseblades.com/

Eclipse Blades must be custom sharpened to skaters’ desired radius of hollow (R.O.H.) prior to use.

I knew that sounded familiar, but I just saw a previous post about this.  At least they're honest.

My Ultimas' sharpening was really shallow and it felt very uneven, although I just used it to check alignment.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright