You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Zuca bags?  (Read 50264 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Zuca bags?
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
Yeah- the jumble of stuff in the Zuca bag does seem to be a design flaw.  Of course, my backpack is a jumble of stuff, but the thing cost me $30 and was used as a book bag for 8 years first!  

I'm going to look into the Grit bag, as it seems to be designed to actually have stuff go in a certain place a little better.
I don't really like the "carpet"-  I think one of Zuca's design changes was that it used to have the door fall open, but they changed it so that it would open sideways.     It also doesn't look big enough to sit on, but someone said you could...will have to check it out further.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »
Is it the zuca sport you have? I heard that most planes don't allow them as carry ons as the wheels are too big to fit. Not sure about the grits, I think the smaller bag might as it's not that big but not sure about the larger one?

Yes, I think so - it's the one normally carried by skate shops, anyway.  I flew with it to US Adult Nationals this year, and it was accepted as carry on - I measured to be sure.  If I remember right, the wheels were a little wider than the width allowment, but this airline defined carry on as either x height, y width, z depth, or all measurements added up together had to be less than x inches.  It fit by the 2nd definition.  As it was, this plane didn't allow anybody to actually bring the carry ons into the cabin - they were taken away from us as we boarded and loaded in with the rest of the baggage.  When we landed, we got the carry ons back as we left the plane, and then had to go pick up our other bags as usual.  I hadn't flown in 20 years, so I don't know how typical my experience was.

At Nationals, quite a few adults had Zucas, and it's pretty common where I am.  As I said earlier, the big advantage for me is not having to carry it, and it's a lot more durable than my past rolling suitcases.  I'll check out the Heys bags for next time and see whether I like that better.

I don't have an issue with stuff being jumbled up.  I put my skates in the main compartment, along with my Bungas and socks.  My gloves and dance skirt go in the mesh pocket at the top.  My test book goes in the big pocket inside the door, my towels and rinkside carryall in one mesh outside pocket and my CD case in the other.  My guards get tucked in the back.  All the other little pockets hold various small things like extra laces, screwdriver, bandaids, etc.  I can cram my jacket in, but don't usually do that.  My old backpack had a little more room to stuff clothes in, but things were more jumbled up inside it.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
I guess you got lucky with the carry-on, I wouldn't risk putting my zuca through with the rest of the baggage - probably get lost or stolen :( At least you know who's handling it and are certain it's gonna be safe when you have it as carry-on :P

I try to keep my zuca as organised as possible but as it was not originally designed as a skate bag it's not so easy to keep in order.
I have my skates in the main compartment (my hoodie is folded up on the floorpiece, and i put my skates on top of that)
In the door bit I have a 2 halves of a car sponge (which I use as padding for my knees when I do jumps) and little kitchen sponges which I put in my socks to prevent blisters. I have a little first aid kit (bandaids, paracetamol, gel blister pads etc.) in the top pocket on the door and many pairs of nylon socks in the bottom pocket.
In the mesh 'shelf' thing at the top I keep a little towel, hairbrush, gloves (about 4 pairs :P)
In one ouside pocket I keep my guards, a notebook/pen and a tea towel to dry skates
In the other outside pocket I keep deodorant, water bottle, snack, ipod
I keep my money in one of the really little pockets on the outside (it has about 3 plush keyrings hanging from it :D)
I don't tend to keep anything in the outside mesh pockets as I travel to the rink on public transport i'm afraid stuff with fall out :P

I love not having to carry the zuca, my old skate bag gave me bad shoulder pain (I did stuff a lot of stuff into it :P) the only bad thing is trying to get the zuca on and off buses and trains...bit of a hassle

Another thing, I thought the zuca wheels were meant to mean you could wheel your zuca around quietly...you can hear me miles away with mine it's so noisy on normal paths :P
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
I don't really like the "carpet"-  I think one of Zuca's design changes was that it used to have the door fall open, but they changed it so that it would open sideways.     It also doesn't look big enough to sit on, but someone said you could...will have to check it out further.

I don't mind the carpet but it would be handy if you could sit on the bag...what's the point in having a carpet for your feet when you have to sit on the floor to tie your skates? :P
I saw the old zucas with the old doors, I prefer the modern ones that open like a door, it would have just gotten really dirty if I had one like that :P

Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
The custom-made skates that go in our backpack bag cost $1,700 a pair, including blades.  There is no way that they are going to be put in anything that doesn't wrap them in soft-cozy, well protected breathable comfort  88) 88) 88) - and the skate guards get tucked into a seperate pocket so no nasty, gritty unpleasant stuff gets into them that could wreck the sharpening or the $700 blades. 

All that goes inside the bag is skates and a chamois, and deodorizer ball. Guards, spare laces, and screwdriver for emergency repairs are in a side zip pocket. UltraCrash gel pads are zipped into another side pocket. Price, with monogram:  $75, Lord Bless LL Bean! Includes ergonomic padded shoulder straps, and waist belt if necessary ... but, it's not too heavy as there isn't too much in it. Definitely carry-on sized.

Skating clothes, if necessary for changing into, are carried in an UnderArmour gym bag with the running shoes, water bottle and warmup clothes used for pre-skate warmup. Said gym bag also goes to the gym on the way to or from skating - meaning that we don't have to off-load skates.  Price $39.99

Our less expensive pair of skates ($1,200) are in a nice LuLuLemon gym bag with a bottom zippered compartment that holds skating pants and tights. Guards slide into an inner pocket with the chamois. Outside water bottle pocket holds water bottle.  All in price:  $79 on sale (Yay!!!), and seriously trendy in our area, and doubles for an overnight bag for travelling.

When it comes to competitions, all of the attire is carried in a seperate dress bag ...

The carpet, IIRC, is designed so that you sit on a bench, then, with the bag placed in front of you, the carpet extended, you place your skates on them to lace them up. I don't think you are supposed to sit on the carpet thingee itself - ! 

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
oooh expensive skates, you'll definetely want to protect them. I wouldn't risk putting skates that valuable into the hold, oh no :P

Is it not a pain to be carrying two bags around, I myself prefer the wheeled bags, if I didn't have a zuca it would probably be a wheeled duffel or something. I've had a look at the LuluLemon bags and they're really pretty, I haven't seen anyone at our rink with them though as I think they're more designed for yoga am I right?

Haha I know, I just think the carpet thing would be a bit pointless if your rink didn't have seats. Unless you tied your skates standing up :P
Working on...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
I looked at the LL Bean bag, but I carry a lot more than just my skates, and don't want two bags.

I thought about getting a rolled bag a few years ago, but I used to bike to skating a lot- the backpack was handy for that.

The Zuca does have a cover that goes on it if you have to check it (Clarice, I think you got lucky- even Zuca says it is not meant for a carryon- just the "pro" which is a lot more expensive).  I think they are pretty hardy...I wouldn't worry about checking it anymore than I normally worry when I check my skates.

Around here the planes are too small for carry-ons, so everything is gate checked. I don't think that luggage is treated with anymore TLC than regular checked luggage, it's just placed on the plane last and moved out gateside for you to pick up.  

Looking at the Grit further, it doesn't look like it would work for me.  The "sit on" is the main part I like about the Zuca.  Without that, either of them are just expensive suitcases. (The hard-shell one someone else mentioned also just looked like a suitcase...anything that makes it a skate bag, other than marketing? It's also $150...that seems to be the designated fancy skate bag price point...)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
Skate bags are as personal as boots. Everyone has different needs. Pockets or no pockets. Enough space for a jacket, or just enough space for the boots. I've tried three or four over the years and for local use I keep going back to a beat up old simple gym bag with pockets on the ends. When I take my skates on travel I take an underseat Victorinox roller bag.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Yeah I agree, there's skaters at our rink who just take with them a normal skate bag (like a risport one) which probably holds skates, guards, soakers and that's about it.
but when i'm travelling 1 1/2 hours to the rink for a 2 hour practise I like to bring a bit more than just that :)

Skittl1321 - I know what you mean, even though the zuca looks cool and that if you couldn't sit on it I wouldn't have bothered buying on. Sitting on its one of the best things about it, when there's no seats on the train I'm already equipped (i get a few strange looks from people but they're probably just jealous teehee)

I used to ride to the train station on my bike but since i got my zuca it's pretty much made that impossible. So it's a 15min walk to the station which would have taken about 5mins on the bike...they should have like a strap for them, although I think the metal frame would be awkward to carry :P
Working on...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »
I wonder if this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000G1KTMM/joshgarcia-20/

$30 and you can sit on it, plus you can fold it up when not in use.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
(All those spiral patterns on the Grits make them pretty girlie too!)

Zucas are still "in" here. Outside the ice surface during a freestyle session in Cabin John, MD, it looked like a Zuca convention. So Just as are the little "phones" the little skaters pulled out of their Zucas, to play video games and surf the web.

Zucas suffer from an obvious defect. They don't breath, so skates rot and rust.

So, my suggestion, if your DD needs a Zuca to carry her skates, get her a $1 breathable mesh bag from the supermarket. If they don't want to sit on the dirty floor, throw in a schmata. Any proper :angel angel will appreciate the practicality, and be well satisfied.

;D I'm not missing something, am I?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
I wonder if this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000G1KTMM/joshgarcia-20/

$30 and you can sit on it, plus you can fold it up when not in use.

In my experience, this wouldn't do the job.  I'm the music librarian for my community band, and I use these things to haul around the music folders and extra parts.  They're convenient, but not really good for heavy use.  I have to replace them pretty much annually, and that's only dragging them around once a week.  Although, at that price, maybe you wouldn't care?

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
(All those spiral patterns on the Grits make them pretty girlie too!)

Zucas are still "in" here. Outside the ice surface during a freestyle session in Cabin John, MD, it looked like a Zuca convention. So Just as are the little "phones" the little skaters pulled out of their Zucas, to play video games and surf the web.

Zucas suffer from an obvious defect. They don't breath, so skates rot and rust.

So, my suggestion, if your DD needs a Zuca to carry her skates, get her a $1 breathable mesh bag from the supermarket. If they don't want to sit on the dirty floor, throw in a schmata. Any proper :angel angel will appreciate the practicality, and be well satisfied.

;D I'm not missing something, am I?

You're exactly right, my old pair of skates stunk out my zuca as they were not getting any air. What I do now when I store my skates in my cuboard is after i've dried them thoroughly, i put all my skate clothing in the main compartment and stick each boot on the outside mesh pockets of the zuca, that way they are at least getting some air for the boots to dry properly and not stinking out my zuca again! :P

If I was to get a grit i'd probably get the black one with the black spirals, so it's not as obvious. It's bad enough getting on to public transport with a 'pigs can fly' insert zuca bag, if i had a wheeled swirly whirly bag i'm sure i'd be the centre of attention on the bus :P
Working on...

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
You're exactly right, my old pair of skates stunk out my zuca as they were not getting any air. What I do now when I store my skates in my cuboard is after i've dried them thoroughly, i put all my skate clothing in the main compartment and stick each boot on the outside mesh pockets of the zuca, that way they are at least getting some air for the boots to dry properly and not stinking out my zuca again! :P

If I was to get a grit i'd probably get the black one with the black spirals, so it's not as obvious. It's bad enough getting on to public transport with a 'pigs can fly' insert zuca bag, if i had a wheeled swirly whirly bag i'm sure i'd be the centre of attention on the bus :P

Hmm may have to try this...however my current boots are two years old (the blades are 5 1/2!) and seem to be doing ok in the Zuca - not to smelly. I do use my stinkeez religiously and usually leave the top 1/4 of the bag unzipped. I am not a good model for skate care - my skates currently sit in a hot car 5 days a week for 5-8 hours while I am at work. It's just not practical for me to bring them into the office...They seem to be doing ok. I am sure that I will have to replace the boots within the next 6 months but that was already in the plan.

Regarding the folding cart - I don't think it would work for skates. I have one at school and use it when I need to haul stuff around campus - great for that but no way to secure skates inside, they break easily and the plastic is very cheap feeling.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
In my experience, this wouldn't do the job.  I'm the music librarian for my community band, and I use these things to haul around the music folders and extra parts.  They're convenient, but not really good for heavy use.  I have to replace them pretty much annually, and that's only dragging them around once a week.  Although, at that price, maybe you wouldn't care?
The wheels on this one don't look terribly sturdy or durable.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 05:55:26 PM »
Regarding the folding cart - I don't think it would work for skates. I have one at school and use it when I need to haul stuff around campus - great for that but no way to secure skates inside, they break easily and the plastic is very cheap feeling.
Don't be so quick to dismiss the little carts - quality varies, so shop around.  I had two really well-made ones from Creativity that I used for swimming meets/practices to carry all the team gear and they lasted four years.  I agree that the cheap plastic ones don't hold up, but this one says you can stand on it, so it must be more durable. 

I'm thinking about putting a few open grommets in my DD's Zuca bags to let the air circulate.  Hopefully, that will help.  Part of the problem is that Jacksons' insoles reek if you don't air them out.

The only unique advantage to the Zuca bags are the seat, right?  So why not bring a chair or try a variation.  Here's another option:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Shopping-Storage-Folding-Chair/dp/B003HEUPDS

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
DO kids race around on each others' Zucas? Picture coming back after an exhausting skate to find pieces of your precious bag and its contents strewn around the floor!

With the extra large model, you don't need a locker room.  8)

Everyone gets what they want. I carry my skates upside down, by the blades, in my hand.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
DO kids race around on each others' Zucas?

Yep. They put their little selves on top of them, straddle them and then pushing with their feet careen up and down the arena screaming.  They do use their OWN Zucas of course.  Some days, it looks like a bumper car setup ....

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
Yep. They put their little selves on top of them, straddle them and then pushing with their feet careen up and down the arena screaming.  They do use their OWN Zucas of course.  Some days, it looks like a bumper car setup ....
The girls at one rink here do it even bigger-- one sits on the zuca holding onto her jumprope, which a friend than uses to pull the "horse cart" around the lobby at full speed.  I have to admit, it does look like fun if it were not so reckless!   :o

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »
Oh wow, someone needs to post some of those races on youtube for those of us at low-zuca-saturation rinks.  :laugh:

I carry a cheap Champion duffle from Target for now, but it's falling apart and I'm considering this rolling duffle as a replacement.  If it lasts a year, I'll consider that pretty good.  I'm just not ready to drop much more on a bag just yet.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »
I've never seen anyone at our rink riding on zucas, I didn't know you could. Do you wheel them on their back so all 4 wheels are on the floor or something?

It seems like fun, yeah i wonder if anyone has posted any 'zuca bag races' on youtube yet :P
Working on...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
I carry a cheap Champion duffle from Target for now, but it's falling apart and I'm considering this rolling duffle as a replacement.  If it lasts a year, I'll consider that pretty good.  I'm just not ready to drop much more on a bag just yet.

That's a nice looking bag!

My backpack is getting a wash tonight.  I decided my gorgeous new skates cannot go into that yucky bag.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 04:53:24 PM »
Ooh i like that rolling duffel, especially the one with the red on :)

Haha I should really wash my zuca insert, its filthy :P I just can't be bothered to take everything out, remove it from the frame and then hand wash it...too much effort teehee :P
Working on...

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
This is really the same thing as an older thread on what people keep in their skate bags. I do have one of those. I use my skate bag to store gloves and boot covers (though both also go into my jacket pockets), sharpening equipment, screwdrivers and other boot maintenance stuff, first aid stuff, and books (e.g., ISI Skater's Handbook, USFSA Instructor's Manual - I'm not an instructor, but it has lots of useful info, ice dance patterns.) Also pencils, pens and paper. While I'm skating, sometimes my shoes and boot covers, when there are more than a few people on the ice. Upon occasion, I've stuck in a snack.

I.E., everything but skates.

P.S. Do hockey kids get Zuca envy?

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
This is really the same thing as an older thread on what people keep in their skate bags. I do have one of those. I use my skate bag to store gloves and boot covers (though both also go into my jacket pockets), sharpening equipment, screwdrivers and other boot maintenance stuff, first aid stuff, and books (e.g., ISI Skater's Handbook, USFSA Instructor's Manual - I'm not an instructor, but it has lots of useful info, ice dance patterns.) Also pencils, pens and paper. While I'm skating, sometimes my shoes and boot covers, when there are more than a few people on the ice. Upon occasion, I've stuck in a snack.

I.E., everything but skates.

P.S. Do hockey kids get Zuca envy?

I'm not sure about hockey kids, I don't think i've seen hockey kids with zucas, I don't think they're big enough to hold all of the equipment and gear needed.

I should really put a screwdriver in my zuca for my skates, I have lot's of extra screws, just no screwdriver...useful :P

Working on...