You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Zuca bags?  (Read 50265 times)

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
Zuca bags?
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »
I put a post on the Uk skating forum too but didn't get much replies  :P

I have a zuca bag and love it, but take loads of unneccessary junk to the rink with me in it teehee...

...just wondering what the rest of you take in your zuca bags (or holdalls/suitcase bags) just the neccessary things or random things as well? How do you pack them, coz I have literally no space in mine (big feet means big skates take up all the room)
And those who have one, what do you think of them, good things, bad things?
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Zuca bags?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
I love my Zuca bag, but it does have shortcomings.  Because I also have big feet, my skates take up a lot of room....I place them heels down, blades to the back in order for them to fit better. This leaves room for my "soft bag" I can stuff inside (containing clothes, jacket, etc).  I found the top too hard and the "cushions" not soft enough so I obtained a squishy gardening cushion (square), covered it to match my bag, and put it on top. I hold it in place with a large velcro strap that I can also use to hold another bag on the top.

I find I stuff too much in the side pockets, and the netting tends to rip from the elastic. If I had time, I'd modify and replace it with collapsing side pockets that have an overflap, which would also protect that stuff from the elements. I'd worry about stuffing too much stuff, though, because sometimes my Zuca looks like a pregnant guppy!!!!  :o

Once, I had my skates, my son's hockey skates, and two sets of skating clothes (including jackets) stuffed inside....I had to lay it on it's back and really cram it all in but it held!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »
I love my zuca! I've had it for about 3 1/2 years now and it's held up great - same insert even because I'm too cheap to buy a new one. The only issue I've had is the mesh side pockets get holes in them - they probably get kicked with toepicks in crowded lockerrooms plus where I put my skates on at the rink tends to get crowded. I just take some embroidery thread and sew them back up, works just fine.
My skates do take up a lot of room but I can still fit other stuff in there. I love the little tiny pockets for punchcards, checks, car keys and hairclips. I probably have 50 pairs of gloves in the side pockets plus my knee pad, tissues and my bungas. Inside is for my skates, guards, skating "socks", mittens for winters, a couple towels to dry my blades and anything else that ends up there...I keep CDs in the side zipper pockets. I'm thinking it's probably time to clean it out since I can't find anything and honestly, I only use about 5% of that stuff on a regular basis....

I really really love that it's a seat - afternoon sessions at my rink get crowded and between parents and skaters, the warmroom runs out of chairs. Plus, it's the perfect height to have someone sit on and do hair at competitions where the locker room only has benches around the wall.

They aren't considered "cool" anymore by the 13-16 year old set - they've switched to fancy little rolling suitcases at least at the competitions I've been to over the past year (Liberty, South Atlantics). I'm not really cool anyway so I'll stick to my trusty zuca! I use a backback at school because I bike to skating but I love having the wheels at home - plus, the lights help me get safely to my car at 5am!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
Makes you think how johnny weir managed to fit everything in there when he promoted zuca. Or is there a large size?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
Makes you think how johnny weir managed to fit everything in there when he promoted zuca. Or is there a large size?

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »

I didn't know Johnny Weir promoted zucas..i've watched 'Be Good Johnny Weir' but i've never actually seen him using a zuca himself :P
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
I didn't know Johnny Weir promoted zucas..i've watched 'Be Good Johnny Weir' but i've never actually seen him using a zuca himself :P
I never saw him use one either, when he skated at The Pond....(he actually used a rather plain black rolling suitcase).

But promoting one and using one are two different things.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »

They aren't considered "cool" anymore by the 13-16 year old set - they've switched to fancy little rolling suitcases at least at the competitions I've been to over the past year (Liberty, South Atlantics). I'm not really cool anyway so I'll stick to my trusty zuca! I use a backback at school because I bike to skating but I love having the wheels at home - plus, the lights help me get safely to my car at 5am!

I know what you mean, there's only a few girls around my age who use the zucas and they all have the more let's say "mature" inserts - I have the 'pigs can fly' insert haha how childish :) I'm nearlly 16
Yeah everyones bringing little suitcases/wheeled duffel bags now, even the little kiddies are using them - their parents must freak at the price of a zuca and find an 'alternative'
Working on...

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »
I never saw him use one either, when he skated at The Pond....(he actually used a rather plain black rolling suitcase).

Yeah I know...just thought he might have been one of the few male skaters who used one (i've only seen girl skaters use them)
I think he used a green suitcase to take his stuff in - well on BGJW he did
Working on...

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »
Yeah I know...just thought he might have been one of the few male skaters who used one (i've only seen girl skaters use them)
I think he used a green suitcase to take his stuff in - well on BGJW he did
it was probably a big upgrade from his black case---that one was really beat up!

I have thought about using a suitcase, but I've been in situations where there are NO SEATS to be found at my rink (smart management removed 30% of the seating in the lobby)...so we sit on our bags. I saw another bag online (somewhere...) that was similar to the Zuca, but had some improvements; not only could you sit on it, the front opened up and lay like a carpet so you'd have a larger "clean" space to put your skates on. I don't think it was as heavy, either.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
I know what you mean, there's only a few girls around my age who use the zucas and they all have the more let's say "mature" inserts - I have the 'pigs can fly' insert haha how childish :) I'm nearlly 16
Yeah everyones bringing little suitcases/wheeled duffel bags now, even the little kiddies are using them - their parents must freak at the price of a zuca and find an 'alternative'

Mine is just plain green - I have a sparkly pin on the front though. The littles at my rink still all have Zucas (the 7-12 group loves them!). We even have one boy with a Zuca and I know another who used to have one but has switched to a duffle now that he is 18. We still have a couple teens/young adults with them...probably 4 or 5 of the 15-20 year old set. I don't really care what any one else thinks, so I'll use mine till it falls apart and then find something new.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
I have thought about using a suitcase, but I've been in situations where there are NO SEATS to be found at my rink (smart management removed 30% of the seating in the lobby)...so we sit on our bags. I saw another bag online (somewhere...) that was similar to the Zuca, but had some improvements; not only could you sit on it, the front opened up and lay like a carpet so you'd have a larger "clean" space to put your skates on. I don't think it was as heavy, either.

Wow that actually sounds better than a zuca!! Do you happen to remember what is was called, i'm interested now :)
There's nowhere to sit at our rink - well there is as it's a hockey rink as well, but we have to change/put skates on in the lobby area where, you guessed, there's just the cold floor to sit on.
One of the adult male skaters at the rink who I was talking to said 'i've never actually seen the point of bags you can sit on, until now'
Working on...

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »
Mine is just plain green - I have a sparkly pin on the front though. The littles at my rink still all have Zucas (the 7-12 group loves them!). We even have one boy with a Zuca and I know another who used to have one but has switched to a duffle now that he is 18. We still have a couple teens/young adults with them...probably 4 or 5 of the 15-20 year old set. I don't really care what any one else thinks, so I'll use mine till it falls apart and then find something new.

I don't think i've seen a boy at our rink with a zuca, I think coz the rink shop tends to just advertise the bright pink frames and brightly coloured inserts - not very appealing to young male skaters I reckon.
I have the black frame with my insert (probably one of the few people who has, everyones got pink!)

There's sooo many little 5 year olds at our rink with the zuca bags - and of course the plush keyrings covering every zipper on the bag! There are a few older ones with them though, it's just cute to see little kids pulling zucas that are only like a ft smaller than them :P
Working on...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
There's always this. The handle gives you someplace to hang your jacket or layout a costume at a competition. Just don't let your parents see the price tag. But if you ever fly through Narita airport, you'll have someplace to sit.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
The bag you're referencing with all of the "neat" components might be the one made by Grit; it's a Canadian company, and they started making hockey bags.  Here's the link. The Grit hockey towers have taken over the market for hockey players ... everyone uses them - b/c they are practical, sturdy and well made. I really like them - but, frankly, my DD loves using her LuLuLemon bag: it's pretty, practical, holds her skates and everything - and she doesn't like the wheelie bag b/c they are awkward to haul around behind her. And, yes, they are a "little girl" phenomenon in our area.

I don't care for Zuca's.  I especially don't like it when the little girls sit on the things and race each other up and down the arena screaming at the top of their lungs.

http://www.gritinc.net/skate22.html

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »

can't find weir's blog entry now, it was about him sitting on his zuca while people around him had to stand. about 2 years ago maybe.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 04:23:19 AM »
The bag you're referencing with all of the "neat" components might be the one made by Grit; it's a Canadian company, and they started making hockey bags.  Here's the link. The Grit hockey towers have taken over the market for hockey players ... everyone uses them - b/c they are practical, sturdy and well made. I really like them - but, frankly, my DD loves using her LuLuLemon bag: it's pretty, practical, holds her skates and everything - and she doesn't like the wheelie bag b/c they are awkward to haul around behind her. And, yes, they are a "little girl" phenomenon in our area.

I don't care for Zuca's.  I especially don't like it when the little girls sit on the things and race each other up and down the arena screaming at the top of their lungs.

http://www.gritinc.net/skate22.html

They look so cool, an a lot more organised and spacious than a zuca. Probably expensive though I reckon?
I think if I got one and took it to the rink everyone would eventually ditch zucas and go for these - especially since they're really only there as a fashion statement or to give you a "figure skating look".

When my zuca bag eventually dies (which I hope not too soon - one of the little feet at the bottom has already bend inswards slightly) i'll probably get one of these :)
Working on...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
The bags are listed in Canada at $139 for the medium and $149 for the large; the garment bags that zip onto them are $19.99. So, don't know what your pricing is for Zucas, but, it's higher than the prices on these things.

http://www.skatingboutique.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_480

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
The bags are listed in Canada at $139 for the medium and $149 for the large; the garment bags that zip onto them are $19.99. So, don't know what your pricing is for Zucas, but, it's higher than the prices on these things.

http://www.skatingboutique.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_480

Still quite pricey but probably worth it in the long run, I paid £132 ($210.79) for my zuca at the rinks shop plus £19.95 ($31.85) for the seat cover...total of £151.95 ($242.57) for the zuca
For the grit it'll probably come to.. $168.99 (£105.86)  providing i get the large bag and garment bag
...so its much cheaper :)
Working on...

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »
Can the Grit bag fly as carry on?  That would be important to me.

I used a backpack style skate bag for years, and really liked it, but it gets too heavy to carry around at competitions so I switched to a Zuca.  I once used cheap rolling suitcases, but they didn't hold up and the Zuca's been doing a great job in that respect.  I like that I can sit on it.  I do wish it was roomier, but it was very useful to be able to fly with it as a carry on.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
Can the Grit bag fly as carry on?  That would be important to me.

I used a backpack style skate bag for years, and really liked it, but it gets too heavy to carry around at competitions so I switched to a Zuca.  I once used cheap rolling suitcases, but they didn't hold up and the Zuca's been doing a great job in that respect.  I like that I can sit on it.  I do wish it was roomier, but it was very useful to be able to fly with it as a carry on.

Is it the zuca sport you have? I heard that most planes don't allow them as carry ons as the wheels are too big to fit. Not sure about the grits, I think the smaller bag might as it's not that big but not sure about the larger one?

I like that I can sit on it too...having to travel to the rink by public transport really takes its toll, especially when there's no seats left on the train - yey i have my own little seat (although i do get some rather odd looks from other passengers..probably just jealous as they have to stand :))
Working on...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
Of all the places I've skated at (including adult skate camps), I've only seen one adult with a zuca bag. It seems to be a little girl/teenager thing.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
Still quite pricey but probably worth it in the long run, I paid £132 ($210.79) for my zuca at the rinks shop plus £19.95 ($31.85) for the seat cover...total of £151.95 ($242.57) for the zuca
For the grit it'll probably come to.. $168.99 (£105.86)  providing i get the large bag and garment bag
...so its much cheaper :)

The zuca is not that expensive in the US...depending on the bag you get. Rainbow for example sells the frame for $105 and the bags range from $30 to $50.

The one US website I found with the grit bag so far had the small one at $150...so it is about the same.

Lots of skaters at our rink have zucas, little kids, teens, and adults. I still just use a back pack. But I kind of want one. It's not in the budget though. I just got new skates.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »
They Heys bags seem to be becoming popular among the more adult wheelie set.  They are sturdy; some can be used a carryons - and they protect the contents because of the hard shell.  They also have neat patterns on some of them.  Plus, if the airlines decides that you can't carryon your skates - which I have heard happen - the bags can be checked through and they will be safe in their hard plastic shell.

Our coach was quite directive about Zucas when they came out: she ranted on two topics: the cost (better spent on skates or lessons) and that the skates were just jumbled in with other stuff thrown on top.  As a result, neither of my kids ever asked for one when they were of an age when Zucas were used; now, in their teens, they would be highly unusual if they did have one. 

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »
They Heys bags seem to be becoming popular among the more adult wheelie set.  They are sturdy; some can be used a carryons - and they protect the contents because of the hard shell.  They also have neat patterns on some of them.  Plus, if the airlines decides that you can't carryon your skates - which I have heard happen - the bags can be checked through and they will be safe in their hard plastic shell.

Our coach was quite directive about Zucas when they came out: she ranted on two topics: the cost (better spent on skates or lessons) and that the skates were just jumbled in with other stuff thrown on top.  As a result, neither of my kids ever asked for one when they were of an age when Zucas were used; now, in their teens, they would be highly unusual if they did have one. 

I guess they'd be good for competitions and such abroad - I would hate to put my zuca in the hold, it would get bashed about to bits and my skates probably damaged :P
A lot of adults at our rink use the little suitcases - they're quite cute actually the little coloured ones.

I've heard of a few coaches complaining about the zucas - yes our rink shop does advertise and sell them but i've heard of coaches going against them for the same reason.
Paying £132 ($210) for a bag which could be used on 6 one-hour private lessons with your coach. I can see why they aren't the coaches favourite, I haven't seen a coach at our rink with one.
Working on...