You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adjusting to new rocker  (Read 2712 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Adjusting to new rocker
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
I have been skating on a 7ft rocker for the last 12 years off and on. I got new skates 4 weeks ago and have been skating on an 8ft with hardly any problems at all. It was actually a pretty easy transition, my jumps are better as are most of my moves. However, up until 2 weeks ago I had my spins as well, then I fell on my face, and then a week later the back of my blade caught and I fell on my butt and my funny bone (which hurt way worse than falling on my face which required an xray to make sure nothing broke). But I've had so much trouble getting my scratch spin back. I think it's my thoughts getting in the way. I'm thinking too much about it now because I'm afraid to have falls like that again. So now I'm back to feeling like a complete beginner because I can't do my spins like I had them.

Any suggestions for getting over this? 

I should also mention I'm now very aware of the ruts in our ice left by hockey because of it. I won't try and spin over them bc we have teen guys that will purposely put ruts in the ice because they think it's fun. And on Fridays we have this very large guy who slaloms his way down the ice (sort of) and that alone leaves ruts from him (he's just on inside edges) and those are enough to trip someone... (I sincerely hope that that does not sound bad, it's just dangerous that he leaves ruts unintentionally because he doesn't know how to properly skate).

But it's so frustrating to not be able to spin. I probably need an empty session where I can just try over and over again to get them. I keep trying to lean to far back which is part of my problem... My internship ends next Tuesday and while my mom is going to be on me to find a job (nowhere is hiring and I haven't had time to send out many resumes between my internship and my part time job and last week housesitting for my boss) I'm probably going to take a few mornings and skate around to get some more practice in and then work on my freelance work and job hunt. There are thankfully two places that one will be hiring a junior designer as soon as they hire a senior one (though there's no indication on how long that will take) and another that said they're still moving offices but to contact them next month and they will hopefully know by then if they need another designer. I have a better chance there because I went to school with the art director.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Adjusting to new rocker
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
Good luck on the job hunt.

I am glad you posted this. I just ordered new boots and blades. I've been skating on a 7ft rocker also and now will have an 8ft. I am a little nervous, but since I've only just started jumps and spins, hopefully it won't be too much of an adjustment.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
Any suggestions for getting over this? 

Go back to plain vanilla one foot spins from a T push.  Do not put a lot of force into it.  More force is harder to control.  Get comfortable with it all over again, like you are just learning a one foot spin.  Go slowly, do not push yourself beyond your comfort zone.  You will gradually regain your confidence.  As you do, then begin doing scratch spins, also still from a T push to help you keep your momentum down.  When you are once again confident doing scratch spins from a T push, you can graduate to a wind up entrance.  It may take some time, but if you are patient with yourself, you'll get your great spins back.
My glass is half full :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
Go back to plain vanilla one foot spins from a T push.  Do not put a lot of force into it.  More force is harder to control. 

Agreed.. the difference is probably not so much the blades alone and adjusting to a new rocker profile, but the combo of new boots and new blades.  Stiff boots (even if they are comfy stiff boots) make it that much harder to "feel" where you need to be.  It's okay to take it slow... you need to learn where the sweet spot is on your new blades, and it's better to do that in a way that won't make you splat (as hard) :)

Have you had a skate tech or coach look at you on the ice and make sure that the blade alignment is going to work for you?  It could be as simple as needing to move the blade a tiny bit.

I do have to ask though - how are you liking your boots so far, aside from the spinning/rocker issue?  Which stiffness did you end up going with?

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »

I do have to ask though - how are you liking your boots so far, aside from the spinning/rocker issue?  Which stiffness did you end up going with?

Thank you everyone for the advice. :)

I love the boots, they're really comfortable, and sturdier than my reidells. I went with the 69 firm since I'm not doing doubles yet and won't be probably for a long time, but I also got the Jackson Elite Supreme because I figured if I have to get custom boots because of my width (and momma was paying as a present for my birthday) I may as well get the ones I wanted at the correct stiffness. (She agreed with me don't worry haha).