You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Klingbeil Skate Options  (Read 2923 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
Klingbeil Skate Options
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
I read someone post that they got all the bells and whistles and it was all included in price.  I looked online, is there more options than listed?  I have a feeling we need customs.  She was measured and her wide foot has a super narrow heel   :sweat

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Klingbeil Skate Options
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
All Klingbeils are pretty much custom-made.  I don't know what you mean by "all the bells and whistles" but AFAIK the flat price includes everything except NY sales tax.  The best part, to me, is that Don will do whatever he needs to to make the boots fit - and service them after the sale.  If at all possible, I recommend going to him for the personal measuring and fitting processes.  Seeing the shop itself is worth the trip.  :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
Actually, Klingbeil does offer stock boots with the size/width on them - the custom skates don't have a size note. 

You should either go to their shop in Jamaica, Queens (NYC) to be measured/fitted, or use a local fitter to act as a middleman, rather than DIY.  Make sure the fitter is good.  You said she was measured, but every manufacturer has their own measurement scale.  (At one point, Riedell and Jackson can be as much as a full size different for the same foot.)

ITA about the Klingbeil shop visits being part of the experience.   (One for measurements, one for fitting)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
I agree too, the shop is great, Don is great-- my daughter's custom boots (she has wide feet) have been the BEST she ever had -- not ONE blister or anything during break in.   He was fast, efficient and they cost me the SAME as her last pair of Jacksons.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
Their stock boots are made to order and everything on them isn't free (flex notches cost me Xtra, e.g.).  The customs include more, but theirprice covers all that and they're called customs for a reason :)

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »
We went to Kling for my kid's last pair; we had done custom from a fitter previously. The difference in the fit was noticeable, even though the fitter is considered to be excellent by Klingbeil themselves.  We also got every single thing in terms of options included in the base price ... including some things that are not on the order form that are very useful due to some unique aspects of my kid. By looking at the old pair of boots, it was pretty obvious that some additional things had to be done, which were not "normal" options, to make the skates appropriate. With the fitter, we had to pay extra for all of the options ... which was annoying - and none of the other stuff we had put on by Klingbeil themselves were even considered. By the time we factored in the cost savings, it wasn't that difficult to justify a trip to NYC ... and we will be doing so again. Add to that that they could customize the strength to the height and weight of the skater ... having seen the skater in question.

By the way ... if you have a kid ... look at the growth insoles, you can get up to a full size "bump" in the skates by taking out the insoles later, and that's a huge cost savings with growing feet.

The whole visit there was so wonderful that they (nearly) convinced my other kid, who is a die-hard Riedell skater, to look at switching to Klings. 

I'm not a huge fan of the stock boots ... they are very basic ... and because they are not heat-moldable (Yes, I know there are different opinions on that, but, having had kids in heat-moldable Riedells for years, I will state absolutely that you cannot mold an all-leather boot the same way you can a boot that is designed to be heated and molded like a Riedell or a Jackson) there can be an old-school break-in period, and they don't necessarily fit as well as they could. Plus, they seem to break down very very very fast unless you get them a bit stiff ... which is unfortunate.

BTW: if you have a kid with a wide forefoot and a very narrow heel, Riedell and I think Jackson will make you a semi-custom split width for around $30 or $60 a pair, IIRC. Something to consider.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
sk8mum I think your's wat the post I read in the past...I can search for it now.  But that is what I mean, I really don't know what to ask for since there are some things that you mentioned are not on the form.  Would I be right to assume that if I go the NYC to the owners, I would probably have those offered than if I went to a representative?

Mod note: thread was locked unintentionally.  Apologies for the confusion - I've reopened it again.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
We didn't ask for stuff; they looked at the old skates, and they did what they felt needed to be done based on the wear and tear of the skates, and the dialogue with the skater.  It's not that there is any "mystery" additional list of features that are only available from the Klingbeils themselves ... they just proposed solutions for things that they saw happening on the skates. What they added might not have worked for another skater ... You might even have less stuff on the skates from them than from a rep; our rep liked to pile on the features b/c he charged extra for each additional "tweak".

However, before you go, you need to chat with your coach on what s/he wants for your kid in term of stiffness, etc; preferences for skate features; and so on.  You don't want to walk away with an S2 when the coach wants an S1. Look at the order form on the Klingbeil site ... those are the questions that need to be answered accurately for the fitting. You don't want to be guessing on the day.

Your daughter is still fairly young - yes?  In our case, we were working with older feet with quirks and bumps, that are pounding out doubles and now triples, and a 5'9" body - and that had damage from long ago badly fitted skates.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »
well she's young to me as she is only 10 ;D

Thanks for the advice I don't want to go in blind!  We are still keeping options open and getting some models brought in to see if they will feel good.
And damage to feet, that is what I want to avoid.  Some of these girls have really ugly feet and they all said because at one time or another they had a corner cut and had a bad fitting skate. 

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
You are smart to do what you can to make sure she has proper fitting skates. You are fortunate to be close to an actual pro shop! I would love to be able to take my daughter to one. It is hard to know what to look for and what will fit right when you have to order from a cataloge(sp). Skates are the most important thing you will purchase for your skater. Corners can be cut on dresses and other skating "garb" but IMO, cutting corners on skates is costly for you, for your skater and for your budget down the road when you have to spend more money to repair the damage later. *sigh* I cut corners once and will not do it again. Good luck!