You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Taking Care of yourself  (Read 6023 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Taking Care of yourself
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »
I've developed a habit of moisturizing my feet after I skate--or they turn into adobe bricks. So everyone must have some habit, observance, or technique of taking care of themselves that centers around their skating life, what's yours?  Ice your knees? Hot tubs? Massages? Beer?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Taking Care of yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
Stretching post-skating!  It really does a lot to help avoid sore/stiff muscles when I've pushed myself a wee bit too far.

That and there is the requisite banana after a session :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
I lose electrolytes like crazy, so I drink a quart of Gatorade (the one with the lower sugar so I don't trigger hypoglycemia). I used to eat a banana, but because of my hypoglycemia, it worked against me if I wasn't eating a meal shortly after.  I "premedicate" before I skate by taking Tylenol  ;D to take the edge off the pain. And I make sure I eat a high carb/high protein snack 1-2 hours before I skate.  This is in addition to my regular chiropractic treatments and massages.  I'm a mess lol!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »
I also drug myself to take the edge off the pain from skating. If I'm testing or competing I also rub Tiger Balm on my knees, as they can stiffen up and it keeps them warm.

Offline AliyahSk8

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »
a warm bath and stretching.  If not I am as stiff as a board before I go to bed and an absolute train wreck in the morning.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
I have to wear a patellar tendon band if I want to be able to walk the day after skating.  Ideally, I'd wear one on both knees, but when I spin they un-do each other, so my left knee is worse and I wear it.

It has helped immensely.

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »
Two things I do since getting pretty serious about learning how to skate:

1. Especially if you're over 40, I can't stress enough the benefit of getting regularly scheduled sports massage. Read Dara Torres' book "Age is Just a Number" and you'll discover that her massage regiment was key to her Olympic comeback in her 40s. I go once a week and my friend/therapist who does it is awesome--the best hands!

2. Also, as much as possible, I try to get at least 8 hours of quality sleep. Sleep is important for physical recovery and for assisting in the process of building mind-muscle memory, not to mention that being well rested helps you focus better in practice and lessons. I've recently started using this app to monitor the quality and duration of my sleep using my Windows phone: http://www.wpappshub.com/health-fitness/sleepmaster

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
Warm pants - ski pants are fine for me; the warmth really helps keep my knees flexible while I skate.

Advil before and after skating.

Off-ice workouts.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
Aleve and a hot shower afterwards.

I've got arthritis in my feet (and hands) that becomes unbearable after skating. If I don't take my Aleve, I'm seriously limping in pain the next day.

The shower is necessary for continued domestic tranquility.
Bill Schneider

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »
Bathtub and beer or any version of  heat and alcohol.  Then stretch.  I like the beer and bath version the best.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
a hot shower afterwards.

If I don't take a hot shower after ice skating, my butt is still frozen 6 hours later.  I think I have some blood circulation problems.

I'm also beginning to think, based on all the "my ankles, calves, knees, hips, butt, back, shoulders, neck, elbow and wrists have issues" posts I've made in the past few weeks that I have the body of a 70 year old. And not one that is in shape...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
Almost forgot - my car has heated seats and I keep a heating pad near bed in case I'm feeling the cold at bedtime.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »

If I don't take a hot shower after ice skating, my butt is still frozen 6 hours later.

I have the opposite problem. I'm soaking wet with perspiration when I leave the ice. In warmer weather (>50 degrees F), I even have to put a towel on my car seat because I'm still hot after unlacing.

Slusher: Beer is good! After my shower, I'll often have a brown ale and listen to some classical music in my "man cave". It helps me relax before dinner.
Bill Schneider

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
If my feet are cold I almost always blast my car heat on them after skating even if it's warm outside.

I also try to walk my complex in the mornings though I haven't had time bc I work my second job til almost midnight then I have to get up at 7:30 for my internship. So getting up any earlier to walk is a challenge. I live in a new complex as of yesterday and I'm on the third floor (yay buns and thighs) and the morning light goes into my room so maybe that'll help me get up earlier in the mornings. I have to lose some eight for my health and while skating has toned me up tremendously (my legs look fantastic from it) my tummy and arms need work and walking/running outside always gives good results. :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
I have the opposite problem. I'm soaking wet with perspiration when I leave the ice. In warmer weather (>50 degrees F), I even have to put a towel on my car seat because I'm still hot after unlacing.

I don't sweat a lot, but our rink is very warm, it's never until I get home that I realize how cold I am.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
I stretch after skating - this has helped a LOT.

I also do a lot of stretching, squats, leg lifts, etc., throughout my day, in addition to doing some yoga (not as much as I would like) - my feet are usually stiff in the morning unless I do some ankle rolls, etc.,, before I get out of bed.

I know that because of skating I pay attention to my posture when I am out and about - I see people who are my age or thereabout (56) and I see how slumped and out of shape they have become - necks sticking out, not paying attention to how they move, etc., and I am always trying to correct myself.  I know it's because of skating and probably more awareness from yoga.

I used to spend a lot of money on PTs, massage, chiro, etc., to help with issues related to skating but now I can't afford it so I do a LOT on my own, but I have to say I learned a lot from all of those people!!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 04:14:34 AM »
I also drug myself to take the edge off the pain from skating. If I'm testing or competing I also rub Tiger Balm on my knees, as they can stiffen up and it keeps them warm.
When I had ill-fitted skates that was the only way I could get through more than 15 minutes/session.

So glad I don't have to do it anymore.  That's not very a very good habit, and TBQH most pills don't kick in in enough time to really help much :P

I'd take mine an hour or two before skating...