You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Upcoming skaters  (Read 4691 times)

Offline sk8rchicky

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Upcoming skaters
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:04:50 PM »
Today I was watching the Senior ladies short program at the 2010 Colorado Springs Invitational. Rachael Flatt was competing against Agnus Zwadcowski(I didnt spell that correctly). I saw Agnus at a fire and ice show last year when she was Junior(she is the Junior national champ). Today Agnus to put it cut and clear kicked Rachaels butt and took first place no problem. Has anyone ever seen Agnus skate or ever heard of her? I am very interested in her because I truly believe that she will win nationals this year!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Upcoming skaters
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »
Agnes Zawadzki is a very talented up-and-coming skater.  This is her debut year on the senior circuit and I hope she does well.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Zawadzki

There's a lot of strategy behind the scenes that you may not be aware of: you can't put too much stock in pre-season competitions.  

This competition allows the competitors to try out programs in front of the judges and help fine-tune the programs for the GP and US qualifying competitions.  Flatt's goal may not have been to win this competition.  She does have a distinct advantage because of her extensive competition background at the Senior level.  (She was the World Junior Champion back in 2008!)

On Zawadski's part, she wants to impress the USFSA so that she receives more opportunities during this season and beyond, so she's got to lay down the gauntlet.  (Which you've noted in your post.)  Here's hoping Zawadski continues to perform well through the season. Otherwise, the boo-birds will say that she peaked too early with this pre-season win.  

Given their shared coaching staff (Tom Zakrajsek), I'm sure there was a lot of strategic planning that went on during the pre-season.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sk8rchicky

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
Thats a really good point!!! I never really thought about the strategizing that goes on before the competition. I was impressed with Rachael because even though she fell on her triple lutz and changed her triple flip-triple toe combo to a double flip triple toe she stuck through the program and from what I saw was very gracious to her friend Agnus. I am very excited to watch thier rivalry grow because they both have become such good skaters.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
I don't think you'll see much rivalry until the US qualifying competitions begin because they aren't assigned to compete against each other during the IJS Grand Prix season.  If there's a need for a substitute, or if both qualify for the finals, they'll go head-to-head.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44732&type=media
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sk8rchicky

• Rink Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »
Oh I understand. I keep forgetting that they both don't have to do regionals either.

Offline sk8rchicky

• Rink Rat
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »
So today in the long program Agnes got a total of 123 points in her long program and beat Rachael with her 117 points. Agnes beat Rachaels Olympic points in the long program by 5 points. I felt bad for Rachael because she was crying. I guess she will get over it eventually after all its only a local competition...

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »
Agnes is with Tom Z.  She used to skate in Chicago with David Santee and received a very solid base (Juv, Int, Nov levels - did well while working with David). 

Other skaters to watch for: Jason Brown (Jr Men's National Champion, 2nd at JGP Courcheval a couple weeks ago) and Gracie Gold (Novice Ladies Pewter Medalist, JGP alternate, landing 2A+3T, working on 3+3) from the Chicago area.  Mikenzie Daniels is now out in the CoSprings area and did fairly well at Nationals last season as a Junior. 

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
Agnes is with Tom Z.  She used to skate in Chicago with David Santee and received a very solid base (Juv, Int, Nov levels - did well while working with David). 

Other skaters to watch for: Jason Brown (Jr Men's National Champion, 2nd at JGP Courcheval a couple weeks ago) and Gracie Gold (Novice Ladies Pewter Medalist, JGP alternate, landing 2A+3T, working on 3+3) from the Chicago area.  Mikenzie Daniels is now out in the CoSprings area and did fairly well at Nationals last season as a Junior. 

Adding to that list, Mary Beth Marley.  She is Rockne Brubaker's new partern at Sr. Pairs and I believe will also be skating Jr. singles.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
Just saw this thread but I will add....I was at that competition too.  Agnes Zawadzki is a fabulous skater with a ton of potential!  She's just amazing to watch.  I saw her at the Broadmoor Open as well.   I've never been a fan of Rachel's skating but I have to defend her a little.   Agnes has had her programs since the summer - competed them in late june.  Rachel has just gotten hers.  Rachel is putting a triple lutz, triple loop combo in her short...landed it a couple times in the warm up.  Apparently no lady is trying this combo to date.  During the short, she fell out of the triple lutz so she couldn't obviously pull off the loop.  With that said, ignoring the fact she doubled her flip in her short,  her choreography was upbeat this time.  I think her programs are still works in progress.  I'm sure she'll pull it together soon. 

With that said....Agnes will be a force to be reckoned with, not just from Rachel but from all senior ladies.  This girl is amazing - a little more speed and she'll be right up with the rest of them!

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
Say,could somebody please fill me in? What competition are we talking about here? In response to Rachael. I have never seen her cry.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:22:14 PM »
2010 Colorado Springs Invitational in OP, a summer club competition.
Season starts sooooon, I have great hopes for NHK!

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »
Add in - Barbie Long - Novice Ladies.  Landed 2A+3T at UGL!  WOW

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »
Yasmin Siraj - she's very young, got silver last year at US nationals in the junior ladies' division, behind Agnes.  I think her success will depend on if she can stay injury free and survive growth spurts and puberty.  She'll be competing at the senior level this year nationally, did the junior GP and qualified for the final (6th), by getting 2nd in both of her assignments.  She's 14 years old, very tiny!

I've seen her skate practices and in shows for a few years.  She's fast, has all the flexibility of a Cohen and Zhang, and rotates pretty neatly in the air.  She actually made Cohen's skating look rather pathetic at Ice Chips a few years ago, IMO.