You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you do with your shoes, phone, and keys while inline skating?  (Read 7609 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
At the rink I just leave them in the stands, where I can always see them.  When inlining, that is not an option.  What do you do with your things?  Assuming I cannot leave them at home or in a car.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Heh, I know that you probably aren't in a roller rink because of shutdowns, but I couldn't resist...

Note that I strategically placed my bags and shoes very close to the food table!

The few times that I inline skated outdoors, I was in a position to leave all items, except for my key, stored in my car. Without a description of your circumstance, I'm going to assume that your skating is done outdoors, and that you walk to where you skate. If you can't leave the items nearby, or hide them under a convenient bush, could you stow them in a backpack? It's not the most convenient solution, but with just a couple things to carry, it shouldn't be too heavy.
Bill Schneider

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
I think shoes belong in your car or at home. I think you will find that skating with a pack large enough to hold normal shoes is awkward - at least it is for me on the ice. If you must - I suggest a lightweight pack that has straps on top and bottom that will hold the pack tight against your body. I currently walk and jog with a small fanny pack that also has two water bottle carriers, for quick access to the water, that is adequate for everything I need. You may want a ziplock baggie, for your phone (and car key if it has a transponder), in case it rains, though my fanny pack is sufficiently waterproof without it. You could use a waterproof bag with a feed through for headphones, if you need that.

Could you walk to your destination wearing skates using wheel covers? I've not tried that, because I can inline from my home. But for ice, I often use plastic blade covers to get to the rink.

Another option, assuming the reason shoes are a problem is that you have to go through gravel to get to where you skate - get off-road inlines, which you can keep on over gravel.

Or get cheap  super-lightweight compact flip flops or watershoes you can walk over gravel, then stick in a small fanny pack or a coat pocket. You can probably buy the shoes for about a dollar at Walmart. At ice rinks, I usually bring cheap shoes I don't care about, and leave them under a bench.

In every other respect, outfit for inline the way you would for any other outdoor sport, where you may go hours away from home or car. Get top quality durable outdoor gear. If you do a lot of outdoor sports, top quality gear is worth it. What you carry is life-and-death survival gear, and must work.

I love coats with zippered pockets, for all sports when it isn't super-warm. Great for your phone and keys, and if you get the compact shoes I just mentioned, they could fit too. If the pockets are big enough, water bottles will fit. So will a Covid-19 cloth mask, in case it gets crowded. While you are at it, carry a first aid kit (cloth and paper tape rolls folded flat will do if you know what you are doing), a compass (I keep one on my watchband), sunglasses if they might be needed, some cash, a local map, and anything else you might need. Occasionally outside I carry a small roll of duct tape folded flat for emergency repairs, but that is probably overkill. OTOH, a tool to retighten your wheels if they come loose just might be useful - probably a suitable hex key.

In the early 80's I bought an Open Air Wear breathable and washable pile ski jacket whose entire front had big pockets, with lots of space. I often use it instead of a pack. I love it so much that when the pocket liners started to go bad, I had them re-sewn, and it's still my favorite jacket. Like a lot of high quality coats, it has long "pit zips" under the arms you can open up for ventilation when it gets a little warmer. When it gets really cold, I wear something over it that cuts the wind, like a good packable raincoat, that easily fits in one of the pockets.

I guess a good seamstress could add big zippered pockets inside almost any coat, but don't go too cheap on the coat - in addition to what I said about top quality gear, it has to take falls.

On the cheap, you could try a fishing vest, but it looks dorky, and will be warm. I tried one for backpacking and hated it.

I sometimes carry a phone and keys in a zippered wrist strap. (Note: the cheap ones aren't durable.) Or in a neckstrap mounted secure travel bag, or in a small fanny pack. But honestly, I usually leave my cell phone home, unless I think I might get lost, and need it for navigation. It's fragile, and might break in a fall.

Offline nicklaszlo

Flip flops are a great suggestion, thanks!  Especially in the winter here (it's never cold).  In the summer, thanks to the ozone hole, flip flops could lead to painful skin burns.

Skating around the city, a phone is the main survival gear I need.  My usual inline skating area goes pretty close to a hospital.  So leaving at home is not so great. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
At the rink I just leave them in the stands, where I can always see them.  When inlining, that is not an option.  What do you do with your things?  Assuming I cannot leave them at home or in a car.

I tuck my phone in my bra. And my car key in my pocket.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
Especially in the winter here (it's never cold).  In the summer, thanks to the ozone hole, flip flops could lead to painful skin burns.

The worst ozone holes are in arctic regions. Were you being ironic, or is there somewhere warm with an ozone hole?

Otherwise, wear sunblock to block UV, or even better, socks, which block both UV and cold.

There are some very compact lightweight water shoes (I bought some from Five Below; you might have to mail order now). There are also compact lightweight moccasins and sandals. But all of these only cover the bottom part of the foot, not up to the ankles, if you are worried about sunburn. So you might still need socks.

I'm not sure if any shoe stores are open now. I'd hate to shop for shoes without trying them on.

You you could tape a bag for your phone and keys inside or under a helmet rim.

I won't suggest temporally removing the wheels and bearings til you get where you skate, and using the skates like shoes. I think that would wear out the bolt holes if you did it too often. I don't think anyone makes strap-on inline skates.

The closest I know of (but have not tried!) are the rather expensive Razors Shift Skates (with a removable inline frames), which I have not tried - but maybe they would work as street shoes?? Various brands makes skates with interior "blank liners" you can walk on the street in. A cool idea, but you have to carry the outer skates when you walk. Would either meet your needs?

Offline nicklaszlo

The worst ozone holes are in arctic regions. Were you being ironic, or is there somewhere warm with an ozone hole?

Certainly not ironic; both climate and ozone coverage are not so simply predicted.  This region of the world has the highest skin cancer rates.  This is caused by a combination of low ozone, low latitude, behavior, and population genetics.  The relative importance of those factors is disputed. 

Everyone who lives here knows they are supposed to wear sunscreen. 

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
I hadn't realized that Australia was sometimes significantly affected by the ozone hole and ozone depletion. And I guess Australia has a varied enough terrain and extent to have many climates too.

Most people in the U.S. know they are "supposed to" worry about UV too, even if only parts of Alaska are AFAIK much affected by the arctic ozone hole and ozone depletion. But since Covid19, I have been taking most of my exercise outside again, and should probably worry about it more. It makes sense for people skating a lot outside.

My Pic skates, inlines and quad skates are all out of state, so I need to buy something to get my skating fix. (I was in the middle of a move aborted by Covid19.)

In my post above I mentioned skate boots with removable wheel chassis, or with "blank liners" you can walk in. I'm looking into them myself, as a more compact alternative to using a folding bicycle or bike rentals to get around when and where cars are inconvenient, and for current exercise, though none I have looked at have toe picks.

The problem is, it would look fishy to take either one into stores while shopping, though I guess I could carry the skates with a receipt copy in a backpack. Also, I'm out of practice, and need to relearn to stop quickly to be safe, especially on hills.