You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Fly and Harlick Competitor  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Ice Fly and Harlick Competitor
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
There has been a lot of interest here in the Edea Ice Fly, a very lightweight boot (with limited customization options), and in the Avanta boots, some of which are also supposed to use lightweight composites too.

A fitter just told me that the Harlick Competitor, using a combination of composite and leather materials, is about 1/2 ounce lighter than the Ice Fly, when ordered in the lightest form, and is available in custom sizing. Perhaps it is worthy of some consideration too, for those seeking a light weight boot.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare them on other basis.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Re: Ice Fly and Harlick Competitor
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
I have the lightweight version of the High Tester (with modifications). The uppers are leather but, as you said, use composite materials inside that keep the same strength while not adding weight. The soles are carbon graphit, and the heel is leather outside with some sort of epoxy foam inside to give the screws something to bite into again without adding weight. They are definitely lighter than my traditional Harlicks (noticeably, even while skating) but are holding up very well. Plus, the Carbon graphite makes the soles waterproof so I don't have to worry about the leather getting wet under the blade or Sno-sealing.

Can't compare to Edea, though, but wanted to share my experience with the Harlick materials.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
We'll be ordering the Harlick with carbon fiber sole when dd is ready for her next boots which will probably be sooner rather then later  :'(. She has the all leather Harlick now and the fit is spot on but they are heavy. TreSka8sAZ, I'm glad to hear that yours are holding up well, I wondered about that. I like that you can still have all leather uppers for stretching and foot health. DD's boots are spending the weekend at the fitters on the stretcher right now since she has grown AGAIN. These preteen years are killing our budget. It is nice to know you can get at least 1/2 size out of leather and I don't think you can do that as easily with composite boots.

Offline EricaDer

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
My daughter has been in the Ice Fly for about 10 months now and loves them (she's worn Riedell's and SP Teri's in the past) - never wants any other boots.  We've had several skaters at our rink switch from Harlick to Edea recently.  If the Ice Fly is suitable for the shape of one's feet, then I just can't say enough great things about the boot - they're awesome!