You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFSA Membership - Advice needed  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
USFSA Membership - Advice needed
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
I renewed my daughter's full USFSA membership through the club portal (in entryeeze) earlier this season. The club shows the membership as fully updated (and paid in full). It was brought to my attention recently when I signed her up for a competition that USFSA does NOT show the membership as active - it shows it  expired 6/30/15. I checked online, and sure enough, her test from February shows on HOLD as status, b/c it's not paid. I'm rather annoyed, as I've now contacted the Club President and Membership Chair and have gotten a bunch of "oh, sorry, I don't know why it's doing that". If it isn't resolved in the next few days I'll have to resubmit her application to USFSA and pay the membership fee again (which I'm not happy about), and I'm not sure if they'll give her credit for the test! Very upset with the club and considering where else I may have her join that will still have test sessions.

We are only a 90 minute drive from University of Delaware, but I'm afraid as a recreational skater she'll have a more difficult time passing the tests there (yes, I know silly, but still something I worry about). Any other ideas?

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: USFSA Membership - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
Do you have any proof you paid it on time?  Like a receipt, confirmation e-mail or a screenshot?  If you do, I would contact USFSA and just show them you DID pay and on time and ask them to update their system as it was your club's error.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »
I would give the volunteer membership chair a few days to resolve it before politely reminding them. 

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 05:53:23 AM »
Yes, I would continue to work with your club membership chair.  When you paid through entryeeze, your payment went to the club, but they still had to send the USFS portion of the dues on to them and it sounds like they didn't do that.  Your membership chair should send payment to USFS and call them to resolve the situation.  You could also call Member Services yourself (I probably would), but they're going to have to deal with your club too. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
I'm with Clarice - give the club membership chair the opportunity to fix it. 

However, with that said, DO NOT give them the opportunity to just say "we're working on it" - because it doesn't take that long on the USFS side, once it's paid for (by the club) on their site, your membership is active again, and all the membership chair has to do is log into the USFS member site and pay for it, it is really not a more involved process than that. 

When she tested in Feb, was it with "your" club?  I ask because as test chair, I've run into this situation a few times when a skater signs up for a test and isn't a current USFS member - and there are several steps along the way where the USFS site warns you about this.  It would be just about impossible to overlook.  As test chair I always reach out to our membership chair (or the president/membership chair of another club if it's not one of our skaters) and I also let the skater know as well.  I can't imagine how that could just be ignored.

If your club isn't responsive about fixing this, I would contact USFS Member Services - send them a copy of your email receipt (or a screenshot from inside EE) showing that you paid, and explain that your club has NOT renewed your membership - that will escalate it up the chain and your club will have some explaining to do to USFS.  You should not in any circumstance be forced to pay for your membership again.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 05:06:38 PM »
I got a receipt from the club and USFS within a day of each other.

You'll generally need a letter of member in good standing to switch clubs so be careful not to ruffle feathers.

Curious to what club this is because our skaters go to UDel often.