You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: "Chick Tails" Strike Again!  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
"Chick Tails" Strike Again!
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »
Remember the thread where someone asked about a move her (Russian) coach called "chick tails?"  We figured out the coach meant "choctaws."  Well, on Tuesday, after I finished teaching, I went over to say hello to a Russian adult skater I know, and she wanted to show me a move her (Russian) coach had just taught her.  She said it was called "chick tails,"  :laugh3, and it was in fact, choctaws!!!  So, I guess it is a common Russian mis-pronunciation, and a pretty funny one too.  I didn't laugh until I left the building.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: "Chick Tails" Strike Again!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
That is funny, lol.  

My first instructor was a former ballet dancer and she called one-foot upright spins "Pique Spins."  I just assumed it was a fancy name for it, but I seem to be the only who calls it that.  Well...except for my students. I've tried to remember to say "pick up spins" but old habits die hard.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:19:24 AM »
Remember the thread where someone asked about a move her (Russian) coach called "chick tails?"  We figured out the coach meant "choctaws."  Well, on Tuesday, after I finished teaching, I went over to say hello to a Russian adult skater I know, and she wanted to show me a move her (Russian) coach had just taught her.  She said it was called "chick tails,"  :laugh3, and it was in fact, choctaws!!!  So, I guess it is a common Russian mis-pronunciation, and a pretty funny one too.  I didn't laugh until I left the building.

That was me!   :laugh3  I still can't get them right - name or execution!  I keep calling them "Chicktaws" or "Chocktails" now.   
You did well not to laugh til you left the building, I still laugh every time I think about them.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
Today my Russian coach tried to teach me choctaws. He never gives me the name of something, and when I prompt with the name, he stares at me blankly for a second, then usually says "Yes that's it.' 

So he tries to teach me choctaws. I say "Dream on, I'm not gonna do that any time soon. That's a choctaw." He says "Yes, you will." Then (thinking of this thread) I say, "So I've heard some people call them 'chick tails'." He says, "No, they're choctaws."

MAybe it's a lady Russian coach thing.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 02:59:05 AM »
TeeHee  :laugh: We had a Russian coach here who taught "ROHKERS".  At first I thought he was talking about Al Roker (sp?) the weatherman, then finally realized he meant  ROCKERS !!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
MAybe it's a lady Russian coach thing.

Well, the coach in this case is a man, but maybe the skater is the one who got it "funny," since they are both Russian.
My glass is half full :)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »
speaking of different terminology, I find it really hard when u guys talk about swizzles (I always think twizzles when I hear that) - we call them 'fishies' I guess cause ur kinda trying to draw an outline of the classic fish shape...?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »
speaking of different terminology, I find it really hard when u guys talk about swizzles (I always think twizzles when I hear that) - we call them 'fishies' I guess cause yourkinda trying to draw an outline of the classic fish shape...?

Ummm ... we refer to them as scullies, and you are taught sculling by doing forward and backward sculls. 

Me, when I read swizzles, I think of swizzle sticks and cocktails.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
When I was a kid we called "swizzles" either sculling or grapevines. Sometimes I mess up and call the one foot pumps on a circle in basic 3 one foot sculling :) Oops!!

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
Here is the link to the youtube video - that's how I figured out what swizzles were :D

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
Skate Canada calls them sculls in the LTS (CanSkate) program ... then again, they also don't have Waltz Jumps or Bunny Hops anymore, then have Forward Rotating Power Jumps and Forward Power Jumps (which we all still call Waltz Jumps and Bunny Hops when nobody is listening  88) )

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
I've heard some coaches call them "fishes," others "lemons." 

Randy Winship from the ISI teaches swizzles as fish - literally!  He uses the tail of his blade to trace 5-6 in a row, then he puts eyes on them with a heel spike, lol.  Talented artist, he is.

They're called swizzles in both ISI and USFSA now, but when I first started skating, it was called "sculling."  That confused me because "sculling" is a swimming term as well - it's the figure-8 motion "water ballet" swimmers made to keep themselves afloat while doing leg lifts and back surface dives. 

The trick to this on-ice skill is to use your knees and keep your shoulders over your hips.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright