You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Side zip warm-up pants  (Read 11565 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Side zip warm-up pants
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »
where do you find these pants? I know Mondor makes some and I have seen a few other brands as well(Se-ku sp??) but I am looking for better pricing or a pattern I can try so I can make dd some. The pricing is crazy! I check skate swaps too... but finding those pants used is not easy. Thanks!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Side zip warm-up pants
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
They're really expensive to buy unless you get a discount.  I picked up two pair for $20 each from a pro shop in Virginia that was having a clearance sale.  It was pure luck - I was visiting someone in the area and saw a sign that said "Ice Skating." I followd the sign and came in through their sale tent.  

My kids don't like them, I guess because no one else is wearing them at our rink.  

I had a friend who used to sew and sell these pants.  She also monogrammed them, so they were "custom."  They're made of fleece.  The tricky part is buying the extra-long, two-way zippers for the sides.  Very few stores carry them in stock, so she bought them mail-order.

Coats & Clark's 100" sleeping bag zipper might do: http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Sewing/Zippers/Special+Purpose/Sleeping+Bag+Zipper.htm

Jalie has a pattern that you could use: http://www.jalie.com/warm-up-pants-pattern.html
(It even shows a figure skater on the pattern envelope!)

Just a word to the wise: substituting velcro for the zipper isn't a good idea since the hook part snags tights and lycra.  Using a series of snaps is a better alternative.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »
I like Jerry's Lined Warm-up Pants, but they're definitely pricey... luckily, I don't grow out of them anymore!

Our club used to have warmups with snaps up the sides, instead of zippers, and they were a pain to snap up when putting the pants back on.

I might try the Jalie pattern when I need a new pair - thanks for the link, Isk8NYC!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
They're really expensive to buy unless you get a discount.  I picked up two pair for very little money from a pro shop in Virginia that was having a clearance sale.  (Mondor - $20/pair)  It was pure luck - I was visiting someone in the area and saw a sign that said "Ice Skating." I followd the sign and came in through their sale tent.  

My kids don't like them, I guess because no one else is wearing them at our rink.  

I had a friend who used to sew and sell these pants.  She also monogrammed them, so they were "custom."  They're made of fleece.  The tricky part is buying the extra-long, two-way zippers for the sides.  Very few stores carry them in stock, so she bought them mail-order.

Coats & Clark's 100" sleeping bag zipper might do: http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Sewing/Zippers/Special+Purpose/Sleeping+Bag+Zipper.htm

Jalie has a pattern that you could use: http://www.jalie.com/warm-up-pants-pattern.html
(It even shows a figure skater on the pattern envelope!)

Just a word to the wise: substituting velcro for the zipper isn't a good idea since the hook part snags tights and lycra.  Using a series of snaps is a better alternative.

Thanks! Dd borrowed another skater's pair when she was really cold one day. She liked being able to put them on w/o chancthing out of her dress. I don't want to pay a fortune, so i will check onut the Jalie pattern. I like their patterns alot too! In fact, I just finished making a dress. :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:49:42 AM »
Have a look at Rink Ratz. They do a cheaper version of them than Mondor. They're a UK brand but I'm sure somewhere will do mail order to the US.

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »
I used a pair of track pants, unpicked the seam and sewed in the long zips.  Not all the way up, just to the waistband, but it's easy to get them off over skates from that point.

You can buy continuous zipper with a new puller every metre, so you can cut them to the required length.  They do come in different weights, not just the really heavy upholstery ones, but limited colours here, like black, white, beige.  A quick look at ebay confirms the colours available + bottle green & yellow.  Of course, it depends on the height of the child, cos you can buy quite long zips.

And be careful to get the zip opening the right way - it is the opposite to the usual direction, so the zipper pull is facing down instead of up  :laugh:

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
My favorite ski pants, which I wore to teach at outdoor rinks, had a heavy-duty snap at the elastic waist, then they zipped all the way down the leg to the hem, with a flap that snapped over the bottom to cover the zipper pull.  I loved those pants - they fit so well and were straight-legged, so I often wore them just to skate, even indoors.

If you keep an eye open at the end of the season, you could get a pair on sale for next year.

Edit: Just looked at my DD's pants and they aren't Mondor brand - they're from GK Elite.  I think they stopped making figure skating apparel, iirc.

Another brand is Jerry's Sherpa Fleece pants ($70) http://www.figureskatingstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1483
(Also: http://www.northerniceanddance.com/store_/jerrys-sherpa-fleece-full-pants-p-4044.html)

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »
I have made some before, using a Kwik-Sew pattern (basic pull-on pants).  Long zipper down each side. Used stretch Polarfleece (www.rockywoods.com) and it was a lot cheaper! Stretch polartech doesn't come in very many colors, but at $16 for a 60" wide yard who cares? Just be sure to get a zipper long enough-measure the outseam carefully. It's better to go a bit short, as two-way zippers are hard to fix once they've been cut.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
I just went to the thrift store and bought some of the warm-up pants that snap up the side.  I'd rather have cute fleecey ones that seem warmer and fit a bit closer, but not for 80 or 90 bucks!

(My former club sells club pants though that zip up the side, and they were only 30 dollars.  I was going to get a pair before I left the club)
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
Camping and outdoor gear stores sometimes have them. Very convenient on the trail, or in ski boots, when the temperature changes, or it starts to rain. Most are just thin nylon rain pants, but there are others.

For example, search for

[indent]zip pants[/indent]

at http://www.sierratradingpost.com

But some camping and outdoor wear is more practical than stylish.

Most skate pro shops are small, so clothing selection is limited. You would be better off going to a big department store, or a big sports gear store (like Sports Authority, where I've seen them). If there is a big discount clothing store, they would be a good place to look cheap.

I keep them in my pack when I hike and ski, to handle potential weather issues. A ski instructor said she would be impressed if I could put them on without removing my skis. I had trouble figuring out what snaps and zips went together where. Best to practice in the house, when no one is around to laugh at your mistakes.

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
I'm still trying to find full-length legwarmers with buttons or snaps up the side too, for wearing with skirts until i get warm (right now I just wear my warm-up pants, and they don't work too badly since the skirts are so short, but it's still a little weird!).  i'd really rather not have to make them myself as I'm not really a knitter (plus I loom-knit rather than needle-knitting, so finding patterns for that is even more difficult and I just don't have the skills to convert yet) but I will if I gotta.  I can't figure out a method of legwarmer-management that DOESN'T involve taking them off (bunching them at the ankle seems kinda dangerous).
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."