You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Music for Freeskate test  (Read 2500 times)

Offline cameocooper

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Music for Freeskate test
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:47:30 AM »
I will be starting to learn my first routine for a freeskate test, my coach has given me music that was used for a previous person who had done the test. But I totally hate the music that was given to me, so I will have to come up with a alternative by my next lesson. I don't have clue about music. I am liking the sound of an instrumental version of Garth Brooks The Thunder rolls, obviously without the thunder sound effects, but am worried how country music would go down but it seems to have the same tempo has the coach's music. The only other music I listen to on a regular basic that would be figure skating appropriate would be Irish/Celtic, which I would not be keen to skate to. what are people's opinion on this song, I am also worried it might be more appropriate for a male skater.

Or does anyone have any suggestions for a routine that must be 2 Min's long, with a waltz jump, two foot spin and spirals. I would be able to keep up with slightly faster music, has I have mastered spins & camels spins and have good solid footwork and am a more advanced skater than the routine allows (I never considered testing or competing until now, so are playing catch up with testing), so technical the routine should be a walk in the park, but the performance part of the routine that will be the sticking point.

I don't want to use overused music like Carmen, nutcracker etc, but also don't want to use film scores or anything too cheesy.

I have consider music from the ballet piece red shoes but would rather save this piece of music for a more advanced routine, with moves that would do the music justice.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Music for Freeskate test
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:49:36 AM »
I would suggest your choice to the coach but I also recommend having a look around youtube for inspiration.
I've skated to a wide range of music most of which I wouldn't normally listen to but which I like for skating to.
As suggestions of where to start, the piano guys are quite popular at the moment, vitamin string quartet and go watch videos of skating routines and hear what other people skate to. That might start giving you ideas of what sort of things you could see yourself moving to.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 08:32:01 AM »
Definitely skate to something you like.  And, take a few music selections with you to the rink, and discuss them with your coach.  Sometimes music you like not feel right on the ice.   I wouldn't worry about country music, especially if it's without words.  The judges are looking at your elements, mainly, and a little if you can make expression to the music.     (I am skating to a Gretchen Wilson song for dramatic...so you can't get any more Redneck than that.)  Try to get the music cut with a few changes of tempo.  I am not so good with music cutting, but hired a guy in Massachusetts (found on Internet) to do it.  He did an excellent job for $35ish a song.   PM me if you want his name.  And, talk with your coach about music length.   You can't go over the time limit, and it's when you start & stop moving.   My coach likes my music cut a few seconds shorter than the time limit in case I end late or fall.

Definitely, look at Vitamin String Quartet and Piano Guys for some ideas.   Also, some of the current pop stars have redone old classics, and that puts a nice, new twist on songs the judge's know & love.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »
Not quite two minutes because my bronze freeskate could only be 1:50 max, but Shine on You Crazy Diamond might be interesting. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yenaffet0ej4phg/1-27%20Shine%20On%20You%20Crazy%20Diamond.mp3?dl=0

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
I skated to the instrumental version of The River by Garth Brooks back in 2000 and plan on skating to The Dance some day, if I can ever get through the piece without bursting into tears. So, skating to country music can happen. You don't see it often, but it if music speaks to you, your program will speak the audience, but remember that the Judges will not really care what music you skate. They are much more worried about your technique and elements.  I honestly feel that you have to love the music you are skating to otherwise the program will never fall into place. 

I will say my honest opinion, I find that The Thunder rolls might be a hard piece to skate a simple program. You say you have to do a waltz-jump and two-foot spin and a spiral, why not choose something that will show off your edges and lines. If you are a more advanced skater than what your program will show off, show off that the elements in the program come "naturally" to you and that you have solid skating skills. When I hear the thunder rolls I really see a program full of chotawks, mohawks and lots of footwork at a very fast speed but with really good control, but that is my personal choreographic idea. Are you allowed a footwork sequence?

I find that choosing music is a very personal experience and also depends heavily on the type of skater. Are you a long fluid lines ballet-like skater (think Sasha Cohen) or are you a hard core power through everything skater (think Elvis Stojko) or a more entertainer kinda skater (Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA )?
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
What freeskate test are you doing? Two foot spin is on the pre-bronze and doesn't require a program or music. You just do the required elements in what ever order you desire.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)