You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Paramount blades?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline so_jesslovescats

• Pinkie Pie on skates
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 8
Paramount blades?
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
Anyone here have Paramount blades? I have beautiful MK 21s but saw that paramount blades come in colors (mainly pink) the lowest starting point is 200 dollars which isnt that awful. Any users here who knows anything about them?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Special Olympics figure skater
Lover of skating,the color pink and cats

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Re: Paramount blades?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
Sarahspins is knowledgable on them. She has really pretty blue ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
I do :)  The lower models are pretty much equivalent to any other mid-range freestyle blade in the same price range, the blade runner itself is made from the same material (carbon steel) so you lose the main benefit of Paramounts which is having stainless blades (holding an edge longer, which means much more time between sharpening).  So if you were already looking at the Coronation Ace or Professional, there's no reason you couldn't consider the paramount equivalents, but there's nothing completely fundamental about the blades themselves that will make them any different on the ice.

Paramounts are supposedly lighter weight, but honestly it's not so significantly lighter weight that it really makes a huge difference.  I never honestly noticed any difference that had me going "wow, my blades are lighter" - what I did notice had everything to do with the difference of stainless vs carbon steel on the ice.  Some people like the difference, but I've talked to quite a few others who don't like it and never could quite get used to it.  I even have a coach who doesn't recommend them to any of her students because she can't stand the way they sound on the ice (although she mentions mine are quieter than my previous Phantom Specials, but that by no means makes them quiet at all).

Being available in fun colors is somewhat of a fringe benefit - I have brightly colored blades, but I'd be just as happy with them if they were plain - color is not the main reason I went with Paramounts, for me it was all about increasing the time between each sharpening.  I routinely go 4-6 months now, I used to be lucky to make it 4-6 weeks.

Offline so_jesslovescats

• Pinkie Pie on skates
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
Extended sharpening life wpuld be a huge benefit considering I have a two hour drive to get a decent edge. To be honest the pink was the biggest attraction but def. Not a good reason to buy a pair of blades.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Special Olympics figure skater
Lover of skating,the color pink and cats