You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate size confusion - fsf  (Read 5645 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Skate size confusion - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
jmb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Skate size confusion
Posted: 01-20-2008, 09:36 PM

Hello, I'm a new skater looking for first boots in order to avoid rentals. Like other posters from Australia, I may have to buy over the internet, rather than go to a special fitting. I know that I am a size 38 European, and a size 5 1/2 UK (shoes) and that my feet are 245mm. People on this forum often say one size down for skates, but I've seen Risport boots at 255 advertised as 7 1/2 UK, but size 38 European. Any clarifications?  

FlyAndCrash
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 01-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Maybe try http://www.pro-skate.com/pro-skate.asp. It appears they have a form that allows you to measure your own feet and send in so that they can fit you with the correct size skate over the internet. I don't know how well it works, but it could be worth a shot.  

renatele

Posted: 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM

For Risports, go by the length of your feet in mm - assuming you have reliable measurements. That's what I did when I had Risports.  

tidesong

Posted: 01-21-2008, 12:16 AM

Do you know anyone at your rink that skates and have their own boots? If you can try on a similar sized pair of skates, even if its someone else's old used one on for size, it would give you a better idea of what to order for the same brand.  

jmb

Posted: 01-21-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatele  
For Risports, go by the length of your feet in mm - assuming you have reliable measurements. That's what I did when I had Risports.

Thanks (and for all the good replies I've got so far). Does this mean the length of my foot is the length they quote as the boot size, or do I allow a few mms?  

jmb

Posted: 01-21-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote from: FlyAndCrash;351641
Maybe try http://www.pro-skate.com/pro-skate.asp.

Thanks for the tip; lots of good info on this site. Not sure I'm ready to commit to the process yet, however.  

jmb

Posted: 01-21-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidesong  
Do you know anyone at your rink that skates and have their own boots? If you can try on a similar sized pair of skates, even if its someone else's old used one on for size, it would give you a better idea of what to order for the same brand.

Thanks,
I don't really know anyone that well yet, perhaps I'd better wait.  

AW1

Posted: 01-21-2008, 06:18 AM

jmb, if you are going to order online I'd use Cyclone Taylor in canada - I've used them for my daughter and have had no problems with them. There is also a Riedell distributor in Sydney who guarantees fit (I'm in Brisbane and I looked them up on the net at one point).  

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb  
Hello, I'm a new skater looking for first boots in order to avoid rentals. Like other posters from Australia, I may have to buy over the internet, rather than go to a special fitting. I know that I am a size 38 European, and a size 5 1/2 UK (shoes) and that my feet are 245mm. People on this forum often say one size down for skates, but I've seen Risport boots at 255 advertised as 7 1/2 UK, but size 38 European. Any clarifications?

This advice is, I think, because American shoe sizes are very different from European ones, so a Risport which was a 38 European might well be a 7.5 US rather than UK. I have a feeling that my feet - 39 European, size 6 UK - are a size 8 US, so that would work.....

Go by the size of your feet and the size of the boots, rather than any arbitrary sizing issue - and find out where the people at your rink, even if you have to say to someone who's putting their boots on or taking them off, "Excuse me, I do hope you don't mind me asking...." where they got theirs from. Especially the teachers, who will probably be able to give you the best advice, and may well be able to help you measure for the right size.  

SkatingOnClouds

Posted: 01-22-2008, 02:36 AM

Well, first of all, it depends where in Australia you are. I have bought skates from Ebay. First time I used international comparison charts to work out US versus Australian sizing, ended up with skates at least one full size too big.
2nd time I used foot measurements, which gave me the right length at least (I have huge bunions, so width was always gonna be an issue).

Secondly, it does depend what brand of boots you are after. There are shops in Australia which can work out your size from your measurements. They usually get you to send them tracings of your foot so they can work out what size you are.

Consider;
Ice Art, who sell SP Teri boots - though my link to their site isn't working, so I am not sure if they are still operating - anyone know?
Bladeworx, who seem to sell a few different types including SP Teri, Jackson, Risport and Graf, and
Isk8 at Canterbury rink in Sydney, who are Jackson agents.

And I am sure there must be others in Australia who can help you through this process.  

jmb

Posted: 01-22-2008, 05:27 AM

Lots of helpful replies here, thanks everyone. I am still intrigued to know whether, when I'm given the size in mms, that indicated the actual length of the inside of the skate, or the length of foot for which it is intended, or is it the same thing?

Karen, thanks for the tip. I don't know what brand yet, but will take a look at Isk8 when I'm over there.  

SkatingOnClouds

Posted: 01-23-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb  
I am still intrigued to know whether, when I'm given the size in mms, that indicated the actual length of the inside of the skate, or the length of foot for which it is intended, or is it the same thing?

When giving a size, always give the exact measurement of you foot.
When working out whether a size will fit you, ask for the measurement of the inner sole rather than the outside sole measurement, because skates can be quite thick. Then add a couple of mm for length but not more than 5mm or 1/2 a cm, because they need to fit quite snugly.

Any comments on this advice, anyone?  

debrag

Posted: 01-24-2008, 04:09 AM

the guy in the shop yesterday thought I was a size 4 uk. I could never fit into a size 4 lol My size 6 are just lovely  

RoaringSkates

Posted: 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Skate sizes, like sizes for dance shoes, vary by maker. So for example, I take a size 3.5 or 4 in Reidell, but a size 6 in Harlick. My street shoe is a 6 US, 4 UK, 37 European.

If you're ordering off the internet, go to the website of the boot maker and they'll have a section on how to measure your foot.

If you can order through a real skate pro at a reputable skate shop, they'll measure your foot and advise you on which sizes for which brands.

Some brands, even stock, come in narrow and wide widths. This is a wonderful thing. As you advance, and eventually buy fancier skates, you can even get combo widths (narrow at heel, wide at forefoot), or other semi-custom things done to your skates.  

jmb

Posted: 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all this info. I've been thinking a lot about what I need since I posted this, so will start a new thread about that...  

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Re: Skate size confusion - fsf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
Bunny Hop

Posted: 01-27-2008, 11:26 AM

I don't know if this helps you at all with your shoe size comparison, but Australian shoe sizes are the same as US shoes sizes, as I discovered when I bought a pair of shoes in the US last year. So I'm a 7 US/Australian and a 4 or 4 and a half UK.

My Riedell boots are the same as my US/Aus shoe size - which surprised me, but as others have commented, the different brands use different sizing. My previous boots were size 6 (i.e. one size down, as is more common with skating boots). 

jmb

Posted: 01-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Thanks, this is helpful, although I'm pretty sure that in fact my US shoe size is half-a size down from my Australian size. But then I'm in the cracks between two sizes in Europe, so it's probably the same with these.

I wanted to buy skates locally, and support local business, but at more than twice the price, I suspect I will be buying on-line...