You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone use strap on roller skates?; Also, replacement vehicle needed  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Do to an accident, I currently don't have a vehicle, and am finding it difficult to get around, even for car shopping.

BTW - anyone in the DC area have a good condition car or light truck they want to sell? I also kayak and do other outdoor stuff, so want reasonable road clearance, sufficient cargo space with seats folded for an 8'4" kayak, and for the seats to fold flat enough for me to build a platform for car camping (I could remove rear seats to make space), and light colors are better because they  are cooler in the sun. (If you have roof racks, that would be great too.)

Anyway, I am lloking for a short-term alternative, for ordinary shopping and replacement car shopping.

In addition, longer term, parking is inconvenient, and one often has to walk long distances. I need something that fits compactly into a backpack, including all safety equipment. Folding bicycles, real helmets and electric scooters don't really fit. In addition, it looks suspicious to walk with bikes, helmets or scooters into stores like Walmart that sell them. So I was thinking of using strap on roller (or inline) skates. And keep a receipt in my backpack in case that looks suspicious too.

It might even be good cross training.

Does anyone know anything about the strap ons? I think I want ones with good brakes, for safety. Any help? Does the idea seem practical?

I do practice falls, but if I do this a lot, it might make sense to get a padded headband (Ice Halo, Crache...) too, or improvise a practical folding helmet by adding padding to a knit hat, and some home-made elbow and knee pads, because one is sharing sidewalks and crosswalks (and road shoulders, where there are no sidewalks) with people who don't skate, and it is very uncommon to skate on sidewalks here.

At about age 60, would I just look crazy?

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Anyone use strap on roller skates?; Also, replacement vehicle needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
Have you considered getting a pony? Walmart doesn't sell those and you could make some extra money giving pony rides in the parking lot.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Anyone use strap on roller skates?; Also, replacement vehicle needed
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »
I will give the suggestion all the careful consideration it is due. :)