You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Showcase Outfit Advice  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Showcase Outfit Advice
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
My daughter is going to compete in her first showcase soon.  She and her coach decided on her music.  She is skating to Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves (mid 80s song).  She and her coach have decided on props, but she is telling me she is going to wear a normal skating dress that she already has, which is pink.  Shouldn't she really have an outfit/costume that goes with the music, and if so, what would that be? 

I've watched the video of the band performing the song, and it was actually set in what appears to be London with a dreary mostly outdoors setting (other than shots of the bad playing the song in concert).  The lead singer has on over sized 80's printer shirt with collar popped, leggings, chucks and a vest on.  She looks happy the whole time.  The band members have gray coats with collars pulled up like it is cold and dark pants and look sad/down/depressed.  By the end they have shed the coats and look happy.

I'm going to text her coach to see what her thoughts are on what she should wear, but I thought coming here for ideas might be a good idea too.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Showcase Outfit Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »
I know of a coach who has had several skaters use that piece of music.  It's fun and bouncy. 

Yes, I agree that a bright, sunny-yellow dress is more appropriate for the song, especially in a showcase number.  If it's a hot-pink dress that you can decorate to look like she's enjoying the sunshine outdoors, that's fine, too.  Since it's showcase, props are appropriate.

Don't worry too much about the music videos - I doubt judges would expect to see this one replicated.  If it was an iconic video, like Michael Jackson's Thriller, then she'd need (at least) stylish-ghoul makeup because it's so well-known.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
This is the dress she has and is saying she is going to wear.

This is the dress I am thinking of buying.

Just don't know that I want to buy another dress right now as I just bought the pink one in January (haven't even had a chance to add stones to it).  If she was going to do some type of costume to match the song, I would do that, but I'm not thrilled about buying another dress right now (she is still growing and will most likely outgrow whatever I buy).

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Pink dress with umbrella  and a picnic basket prop screams 'sunshine' to me.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:56 PM »
The yellow dress is very sunshiney, but I agree with AgnesNitt.  The pink dress is very cheerful and with the right props and some sunny personality to the skating, will also go quite nicely with the song. 

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:32:39 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  After racking my not so creative brain, I started thinking about maybe her wearing something that is 80s related, since the song is from 1985.  I found these:

- Only comes with the shirt.  She would wear a tank under the shirt.

She would probably wear black leggings with the tutu.

The tutu/gloves/leg warmers combo comes in different colors, so I would let her chose between green, pink, neon yellow.  She wouldn't use the beads.

I have two concerns over this... is an 80s theme overdone in showcase?  I have no idea as this is our first.  The one thing I've read is Disney Princesses are overdone (we are past that anyway).  My other concern is does the shirt being black take away from the sunniness of the song?  What about black leggings with the tutu?

Her props are going to be a letter ("every time i go to the mailbox I gotta hold myself down"), a sparkly sun I'm going to make, flip flops, beach towel, sunglasses and I think there is something else I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

I think my daughter's personality is perfect for showcase.  She is quite the drama queen and has participated in theater.

I texted her coach these photos but haven't heard back from her.  My daughter's lesson is this evening, so I might get a chance to talk to her about it then. I really like getting others opinions too though.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
Love your new ideas!  I would not do black leggings - although I guess that's what girls wore in the 80's, so see what her coach and others say.  Put a bright yellow tank top underneath the shirt and a matching huge bow in her hair (side ponytail!!!).  And no, 80's theme is not overdone in Showcase.  I don't think I have heard anyone skating to her song in quite some time.  I hope your daughter has fun with this program!