You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What would be in a very competitive prepre program?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
What would be in a very competitive prepre program?
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »
I know there are specific requirements, but what makes a good program into one that is a great program?  I am guessing that all of the girls in the same level have the same set of skills but have strengths and weaknesses in the quality.  But let's say that they are all exactly equal in ability.  What in a program will set them apart?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: What would be in a very competitive prepre program?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
What makes a good program into a great program isn't just the elements: it's the quality of the elements (i.e. an axel vs. an AXEL, or an axel vs an axel out of a spreadeagle); the in-between skating; the footwork and skating skills (skating on two feet or on edges? A variety of turns? forwards and backwards skating and deep well-done crosscuts? brackets that are brackets?). Add in good choreography, good music, and great presentation ... and it all works into a final package.  And, frankly, some kids just have star power:  it's the kid who even on practice ice you see people watching, or you find yourself looking at even when they're doing something simple, while glancing past the kid who is doing something very spectacular.

What makes a weak program is easier for me to define: a random collection of elements, regardless of how well executed, laid out with little consideration for choreography; simple skating from element to element; music that has no relation to what is going on on the ice; the skater who is looking down instead of presenting to the audience etc etc etc; at the entry level, very fancy "stuff" like Y-spirals being used with iffy execution but no real solid spiral; or a pancake to cover up the lack of the ability to attain a real sit spin; or tons of arm waving instead of good carriage and posture ... all of these latter speak to me of a skater who is bypassing learning the basics and jumping to the flashy.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: What would be in a very competitive prepre program?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »
The two little girls at my rink who win Pre-pre all the time both have axel-loops in their program, and their axels are clean and landed strongly. Their spins stand out as well, I think one has a super-fast camel-sit-haircutter and the other had a very nice flying camel. Spins seem to be one of the factors that set skaters apart in the lower levels.

Their programs are absolutely perfect as well.. every step/spiral precise with no wobbles, everything melding together smoothly. Their chins are high, they're presenting, you can just tell they love to perform.

These girls skate 5 days/week, though, so they have the practice and lesson time to get these programs a step above everybody else's.