You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Pretentious jacket? Is this weird?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
Pretentious jacket? Is this weird?
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »
I got a $10 off coupon from the USFSA shop for my birthday. Looking at the shop I saw this very nice warm up jacket http://www.shopusfigureskating.com/EBFullZipFleeceLadies that has the US Figure Skating emblem on it. I'm no pro skater - I'm early 50's Adult skater just getting my single jumps and spins back after 20 years off the ice, with hopes of skating in Adult Nationals in April. Would you think it's weird for a barely competent adult skater to wear this "official" logo jacket? Is this stuff just for competitive track skaters? I did win Adult Bronze NE Regionals 20 years ago, so I have a eensy-weensy tiny minuscule connection to competitive USFSA skaters. I know I can get this Eddie Bauer jacket elsewhere without the emblem, but I kind of like the skating logo and am proud of being a figure skater again.

Honest opinions?

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Pretentious jacket? Is this weird?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:06:41 AM »
Go for it.  The logo shows your support for and membership in the organization not some level of expertise. Wear and enjoy.  Some of the jackets offered are limited to, for example, Gold test level skaters, but in those cases USFS wants to see proof that you've passed that level before you get the jacket.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »
Ditto lukefish. I see tons of skaters wearing jackets or carrying bags with logos and they certainly aren't pros. If you are strangling your feet in skates and attempting to move across the ice, you are a figure skater no matter which part of the journey of skating you are in.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
I would wear it.  I'm a competent pre-silver dance skater, faaaaaaaaar from being a pro.  It's cute and a nice color.  Go for it!

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
I see nothing wrong with it.  Newbie hockey jocks often wear the jerseys of their favorite NHL players.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
I see nothing wrong with it.  Newbie hockey jocks often wear the jerseys of their favorite NHL players.

Good point.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 04:42:45 PM »
I would wear it and I'm not even a member yet. It's a cute sweatshirt and as someone said, just by purchasing it you are showing your support for the organization.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
USFSA *wants* you to buy the jacket and wear it.

Competitors get jackets that are completely different. Although they have to pay.
http://www.usfschampionships.com/2016-Upper-Great-Lakes-Mens-Official-Competitor-Jacket_p_312.html  Olympians are given their jackets, and I think they're custom made.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
I wouldn't wear it.   I don't advertise for free.   If they want me to promote their brand, I'm sure we can come up with a sponsorship deal.  ::>)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »
I love polyester fleece. Light, not itchy (I assume you aren't allergic), rugged, easy to wash and dry, doesn't tend to stink.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »
I wouldn't wear it.   I don't advertise for free.   If they want me to promote their brand, I'm sure we can come up with a sponsorship deal.  ::>)

That's just how I feel when the dealership puts their license plate frame on my car.  I'll leave it there, but it'll cost you... otherwise, I'm not a billboard.   ;)

That said, if you want to show your support for USFS this is one way to do it.  (Though I've had the same thoughts about seeming pretentious.)  It's not the same as wearing a club jacket that only members would have.  Nice jacket!

Offline Backtotheice

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »
Thanks everyone! That makes me feel better!

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
My comment has nothing to do with the logo but more of a what do you currently wear?  I normally wear a long sleeved t-shirt to skate in.  I bought a club jacket thinking it would be easier to pull on over short sleeved t-shirts, etc.  I don't like having something up on my neck.  And I didn't realize that until I bought the expensive (by my standards) jacket.  Now, it's not a complete loss-my DD lost her club jacket (she had it 2 years so did get plenty of wear) and  now she wears mine.  Despite having my name on it LOL

All to say that if you don't wear a similar style currently, you might see if you can try a cheaper version before committing. 

Offline Backtotheice

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
Thanks for the idea! I do wear a somewhat similar style now, although my current one is looser, and I don't really like that bulky feeling.

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »
It's really cute. I think beyond the skating community, people don't know much about US Figure Skating, so it is a way to show support off-ice. And on-ice, this is not pretentious.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)