You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Matrix Legacy Blades?  (Read 8263 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Matrix Legacy Blades?
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:49:07 AM »
Dd finally got new skates. We picked them up today. Skates were heat molded and blades were temporarily mounted. She ended up with Jackson Premeire boots with the Ultima Matrix Legacy blades. Originally, we were going for the Ultima Elite blade(the blade comparable to MK Vision blades). Dd is a preliminary skater landing axels and double jumps(the 2flip has been landed a few times now!! YAY!). Dd wanted the lighter blade and the stainless runner was very appealing too. It seems those of you who have this blade like it. Dd's coach was ok with the switch too. The fitter also said if dd decides she'd rather have the other blade, we can switch to the Elite. She'll have a week to decide. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Matrix Legacy Blades?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:33:28 AM »
I adore my matrix legacy blades.  They are very appropriate for the level you describe, we have many kids at the rink on them.  They hold a sharpening for a long time, and the edge rip on them is beautiful.  I find them very easy to spin in too. 

There are also higher level matrix blades if you are worried the Legacy won't be strong enough- you could get Matrix Freestyle or Matrix Elite.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
Thanks skittl. She's been using the MK Professional blade for the last few pair of skates. The pick on this blade looks close to the professional pick. I have never seen Coronation Aces in person but I have read this is comparable. The hard thing is dd is competing Friday so she can't wear these yet. Poor girl wants to!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:15:19 PM »
another thought I had on these blades were about the colored versions of it. Daughter would have preferred the icy pink color, but I thought I had read or heard from another skating parent that the colored blades could be ditracting for judges. I also did not want to draw any more attention to dd's blades during competition or tests. The fitter did not have the color dd wanted in the size she needed, so we went with the silver color. She can still get pink if she wants them but I think they will be more distracting. Should I let dd get the pink blades?

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
i found these same blades for a really great price but am concerned about the 2 pieces. What is the general opinion about this blade?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
She can still get pink if she wants them but I think they will be more distracting. Should I let dd get the pink blades?

If your daughter is a serious competitor, as silly as it seems, I'd say no.  There are just too many nay-sayers out there, and whether or not it actually effects scores, you'll always wonder if it did if she got less than desired results.

That said- I have the purple ones (they are pretty pink, IMO), had pink paramounts, and many competitive-ish kids (local competitions, ISI) wear colored blades at our rink.  I saw many kids at ISI synchro nationals in colored blades. 

If skating is just for fun, the colors are fun.  I don't worry about them matching my costume, and no one has ever said anything negative about them.

As for the two pieces- they don't come apart, unless you are looking at the old style matrix with interchangeable runners.  It isn't an issue now.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the pink.  I have seen lots of higher level skaters in them (esp gold colored).

We considered the ultima legacy but I read they are "noisy" so we went for the freestyle.  Her coaches are traditional and it is a step up from her professionals.  I considered the supreme briefly. 

I wish her success!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:27:29 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the pink.  I have seen lots of higher level skaters in them (esp gold colored).

We considered the ultima legacy but I read they are "noisy" so we went for the freestyle.  Her coaches are traditional and it is a step up from her professionals.  I considered the supreme briefly. 

I wish her success!

Thanks, she has been in the new skates for a few weeks now. She seems to like her blades a lot! I do wonder if we should have upgraded her to the Ultima Elite blade tho. If we find this blade is not enough for her, we will upgrade to the Elite. She is doing really well in her new boots and blades!

Offline xoxo_tw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 12:59:15 PM »
i found these same blades for a really great price but am concerned about the 2 pieces. What is the general opinion about this blade?

great blade , stable , sharp and easy to spin.    I have the black version,  but the soft aluminum get scratchy pretty easy if you happen to clinch the  blades while doing crossovers.....