You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SkaterslandingTV  (Read 5345 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
SkaterslandingTV
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
I stumbled across this http://www.youtube.com/user/SkatersLandingTV#p/u which is a skate tech discussing figure skates. There appear to be a couple of dozen videos.
I don't know how accurate or informative these are, but it might be worth some more experienced people checking out to see if there's stuff we could use.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: SkaterslandingTV
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
I liked the equipment episodes about blade mounting and toe tuneups!

Great find - thanks for posting it!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »
The more people you talk to and get info from, the more you learn.

That doesn't mean you have to agree with everything any given source says.

I've only looked at the first few videos.

His videos taught me quite a few things about toe pick shapes and different types of beginner level boots. I never understood much about picks before. It never occurred to me I should be able to roll up to my top tooth.

I think he could do a better job of getting a full 3D fit on the skates. He is particularly worried about skates that are too large. Given the types of modifications I know how to do, I'd rather start with a skate that was slightly large than somewhat small. I think starting a little small can create no end of potential problems in comfort and the tendency of leather to return to its original shape.

I like the way he pulls out and down while pulling the laces through, so they slide smoothly, so the laces don't cut into his fingers.

He doesn't lace very tight. He even lets go of the laces as he changes sides.

He leaves the laces very loose at the top. Is that something that some high level free style skaters like?

I wouldn't let this guy anywhere near my blades, nor buy them from him, given that he always redoes the factory grind. (All the Ultima blade runners I've bought came with a very good quality factory grind.) He gives the wrong definition of hollow, and he doesn't seem to know about sweet spots. He carelessly plops the newly sharpened blades down on a sheet of metal. I'd rather he left the factory grind!

He is a pro, and is probably a pretty good skater too.

So its all a matter of learning selectively, like anything else. I'm sure people think the same about me.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
He leaves the laces very loose at the top. Is that something that some high level free style skaters like?

I haven't watched the video yet, but I've always laced fairly loosely over the hooks, especially the top one, to allow for deeper ankle bend and more control on footwork. It was how I was taught by my first coach and was *strongly* encouraged by my dance coach. Loose at the toe, snug over the instep, half-hitch, loose over hooks.

Yuka Sato's an example of an elite skater who ties her skates very loosely over the hooks. I haven't paid close enough attention to notice if any of the current eligible skaters do.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »
I've always laced fairly loosely over the hooks, especially the top one, to allow for deeper ankle bend and more control on footwork.

Since I don't jump this is the route I take too. Since I'm overbooted too, with NO ankle notches it's the only way. (I'm trying to kill the boots by leaving them in the car so I can get new ones or(!) win a pair at manleywoman's skatecast website http://www.manleywoman.com/ (unsolicited plug).)

Mitch may groan at this, but I actually tried elastic shoelaces in my boots too. I liked them but previous coach was horrified.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:27:12 AM »
Absolute no-no on the loose laces for our coach. If you cannot bend your skates, they are too stiff.  Skaters should not be showing a "gap" between their ankle and the back of the skates on knee bend. Skates are laced tightly up and should fit closely around the ankle to the top of the boot. Bend is in the skate, not in the ankle shifting around in the boot, as that will cause a lack of stability on landing. Notches are fairly common.

Then again, said coach is an uber-underbooter. Doubles and triples are being landed in an S1 Kling on adult sized skaters. But, none of said skaters have any knee, ankle back or hip problems, no blade stress fractures, and are noted for the ability to land with a soft deep knee bend.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
Elastic laces? You mean bungee level elastic?

I am always willing to learn, and know there are many different ways to achieve ones goals.

Help me understand what you expect out of a boot.  Limiting range of motion, controlling the initial placement of edges or of the toe pick, maintaining edge depth without compensating for boot sag, or what? Do your current boots achieve your goals well with bungee style laces?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
There are actually commercial elastic laces for runners shoes. They're not long enough for skates, so I tied one pair together to create a single lace for a boot.  http://triathlon-gear.trisports.com/sport/Elastic%20Shoe%20Laces  http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/elastic-shoe-laces/#clear 

I'm seriously overbooted (don't know the reason why, as they're custom boots and I asked for boots suitable for figures), boots were new and super stiff,  so I came up with the idea of elastic laces.

It did work, but the experiment was months ago, when my boots still hurt and I was just getting back on the ice. I could stoke around in them, but I was not up to doing threes, or crossovers or anything so I can't say if they would have stood up to that. Now that I'm more confident, it might be fun to try the laces again. I've thought of doing the lacing up to the ankle in regular laces, then lace from the ankle up in the elastic laces.  Then reversing that and seeing if it was better/worse than standard lacings I have now.

(I'd like to add that I lace up to the 2nd from the top hook, then the with the top hooks I just put a pony tail holder on. I got this idea from an ice show pro who used a similar technique for lacing.)

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »
I am definitely not over-booted, but mostly did ice dance when I still skated regularly (although did land up to double loop and, very occasionally, double flip in my loosely tied boots...) I have also never had ankle, knee, hip or back problems.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »
It's a great resource - especially for those of us looking to buy your first pair of boots  - he has lots to say that helps you understand what to look for (or what your experienced person is looking for on your behalf). It would be nice if he covered a few more brands though...he really seems to like Jackson & Riedell - we can't get Jackson in the shops here!

I did really loved his blade guard segment though - I have a set waiting to be put together as soon as I'm ready to skate again - they came with a set of instructions as to where you should cut based on your blade size, but his description was really helpful on how you go about trimming them & why. Since I hadn't actually opened them I hadn't realised you need to screw them in like that - I figured you just slotted them through - brilliant I now know how to put my guards together without looking at the instructions with a seriously confused look on my face :D

Though it looks like he's stopped posting in the last few months - there is heaps more he could cover, wonder if he's given up?

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:23:24 AM »
Here's his direct link.  After watching all of them at least once, I feel like I know him.

http://skaterslandingtv.com/

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
I like the way he pulls out and down while pulling the laces through, so they slide smoothly, so the laces don't cut into his fingers.

He doesn't lace very tight. He even lets go of the laces as he changes sides.

I tried his method of lacing on my new skates but it didn't work, I got much better tension from the traditional pull upwards - only thing though is now I have nasty lace bite on my fingers. Maybe its best used for older skates as opposed to near or brand new?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
I think the point is to pull out (straight through the lace holes), THEN pull upwards to lock the position.

I don't like that he lets go of the laces before switching sides.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
I go over the tops of my hooks, and when I'm doing my hooks, my ankle is flexed so I get some room to bend. I'm secure and have support, my boots are just really stiff.  I don't think I've seen anyone at my rink lace so snug they don't have a bit of room at the ankle.  I'll have to try the downward pull through the loops-that looks interesting.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I found Chris Bartlett's video of his punching out boots very informative. 

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Every approach isn't perfect for every single skater but the Skaters' Landing people are good. They are all former skaters and/or coaches themselves - figure skating is their only business (no hockey, no other sports). I am fortunate enough to be able to go to their shop in Greenwich, CT for all my equipment and sharpenings (love Bob in the Greenwich shop for sharpening - he really knows blades and he's so careful) - they're good.