You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ordered New Blades today  (Read 1499 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Ordered New Blades today
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »
I've been skating on Jackson Mirage blades for a few years. Recently, my skating took a pronounced 'jump' upwards. I decided I wanted to try some more advanced blades. I agree with my dance coach that I'm not ready for dance blades. But I'm ready for something other than Mirages.

My idea was eventually to put Coronation Dance on my dance boots. CD has a 7' rocker, so after consulting with my very knowledgeable skate tech, I decided to try MK Pros as a long tailed analog to the CD. These blades will go on my old Jackson Competitors.

Looking at the website, the MK Pro has a lot of similarity on paper to the Coronation Dance-minus the shorter tail. Since I haven't seen them side by side, I can't tell about the toe pick. In the drawings, the toe rake on the Pros actually looks smaller than on the CD--but looks can be deceptive. Of interest is that CAN-skate says they're okay for dance up to senior bronze dance (I don't know if that means competitive track, or senior as in adults track. I've decided to interpret it as 'adult senior').

Anyway, I don't know how I'll handle the transition. I may just use my freestyle boots with the MKs as a kind of learning experiment, or I may try it a few times and then just jump in with the new boots like I did with the dance boots.

(Why not Cornation Ace? Geeze, even in the line drawings that toepick looked scary!  :o
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Ordered New Blades today
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
I made exactly the same switch a couple of years back (Ultima Mirage to MK Pros) and have never looked back, once I got past the rather seasick feel of skating on a 7' blade with an actual rocker.  The old 8' Mirages had been sharpened until there was no sharpening steel left and their rocker was just about gone.

Enjoy your new blades!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
My skater loves her MK Pro's! 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
I made exactly the same switch a couple of years back (Ultima Mirage to MK Pros) and have never looked back, once I got past the rather seasick feel of skating on a 7' blade with an actual rocker.  The old 8' Mirages had been sharpened until there was no sharpening steel left and their rocker was just about gone.

Enjoy your new blades!

That makes me feel better.

My skater loves her MK Pro's! 

That too!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/