You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Canadian Airport Regs  (Read 1698 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Canadian Airport Regs
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
I'm going to be coming back from Ontario with skates.  If possible, I'd like to carry them on instead of checking them.  I've heard that this is now okay... I know for awhile, it wasn't allowed.  I'm wondering if anyone else in Canada has looked into this.  Is it actually allowed?  If so, is there any sort of listing that includes whether skates are allowed or not that I could print off and bring with me incase I have problems?

Thanks!

Offline amy1984

Re: Canadian Airport Regs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
Through a little more googling, I was able to find a listing that said it was fine to bring skates on a plane in Canada.  But I'd still be interested in other people's experiences with taking skates on a flight as carry on.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:00:53 AM »

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »
Is it an international flight? Or is it within Canada?

Offline learning_as_i_go

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
The regulations might state it is OK but you are at the mercy of whomever is working that day.  I would contact the airline directly and get them to email you saying that it is permitted for you to pack them in your carry on.  It might make your travel day go more smoothly!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
And now in the US, certain pocket knives and sports equipment (hockey sticks) are allowed.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/05/travel/tsa-carry-on-changes/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Whether I can carry my phillips screwdriver in my skate bag (to tighten blade screws) is still up in the air. I'm pretty sure a screwdriver on a pocket knife won't cut the mustard. I guess I'll have to buy a phillips stubby.

Mod note: two posts by ONskater were reported because of political comments and have been removed.  Skatingforums does not encourage political discussions or rants.  There are plenty of other message boards that welcome those posts and comments.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amy1984

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:29 PM »
jjane45, it's a domestic flight.

and learing_as_I_go, I think I might print off the rules and bring them.  I'm not worried about the airline - they don't check carry on - I'm worried about the airport security.... So maybe I will call the airport and see.