You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Question for judges/coaches/competition referees  (Read 2283 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Question for judges/coaches/competition referees
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
We all know that coaches are not allowed to "coach" while his or her skater is performing in a competition. For example, a coach may not shout instructions from rinkside. Okay, that's an obvious no-no. However, how would you interpret this situation: a skater is doing a camel while her coach yells out the number of rotations. Put another way, the competitor is spinning and the coach is clearly communicating to her by yelling, "one, two, three...!!"

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Question for judges/coaches/competition referees
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
If there is a rule that a coach cannot instruct the skater while performing, then I'd say this is a no.  That's not okay.

But is this really a rule?  I've seen coaches at major international coaches yell "push" or "speed" to their skaters.  I've also seen them smack the boards after 8 revolutions is reached- clearly signaling the skaters.

At local competitions- you hear coaches yell "shouders" or "power" or whatever.  It's not as helpful to a skater as counting revolutions, but it is in the same vein.  I've never thought anything of it.  The judges may think less of the skater if they hear it though.

ETA: Well, how about that.  There is a rule, USFSA Rulebook 1312 (not sure about the ISU)  -Clarice found it while I was editing!-
However, coaching or instruction is not permitted during the actual performance of the skater or team before the judges ... For the purpose of this rule, coaching shall be considered any communication between the skater or team and an instructor, parent or
any other person.

So yeah- I'd say that is clear violation.   As is a coach yelling- "faster", "smile" or anything else.  What's interesting is a parent can't do it either.  I've heard lots of parents count revolutions at local competitions, but not coaches (guess the coaches know the rule!)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
See Rule 1312.  The chief referee would have to decide whether or not a violation has occurred, and, if so, what to do about it.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
Ah yes! I remember our synchro coach at the boards while we competed always kept her hands jammed deep into her pockets and her mouth clamped shut in effort to respect that rule.
Isn't it Brian Orser that the tv camera likes to show at the boards "skating" the program with his students? Wonder if the referee has issues with that?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
I've seen many coaches who "skate" the program with their skater, so it's not unallowed.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
I will often make comments to myself through a student's program. I will often times mutter, "stand up" or "point" or "hold that landing" never loud enough that my student can hear, but more to myself as a way to make the corrections that are on my mind :)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
I've seen many coaches who "skate" the program with their skater, so it's not unallowed.

this just brings the image of the mom in "Mean Girls"  dancing with the girls in the aisle

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
Of course, coaches mentally skate with their competitors!! Sure, they mutter to themselves, sotto voce. The incident I'm describing (from several years ago) clearly was communicating with the skater. However, it really is the referee's call. I just wonder how blatant the communication needs to get before the referee steps in.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
What's interesting is a parent can't do it either.  I've heard lots of parents count revolutions at local competitions, but not coaches (guess the coaches know the rule!)

I've counted dd's revolutions before but only in the stands and not to the point of her hearing me do so. In fact, if anyone else heard me, it would have been my hudband or someone sitting right next to me. I say it really to myself... not anyone else. Definitely not my daughter. We hoot and hollar, but we do not loudly count revolutions. I hope I am not in violation by counting her revs to myself.  Clearly she cannot hear me say them from the stands. Nor is she paying attention to me while she is skating. Interesting.

I would absolutely think it was a no-no for a coach to loudly count revs for the skater. I don't think dd's coach does that during practice, let alone a comp. She has yelled at her to skate faster, smile and have better posture during practice but never in a competition(that I know of!).