You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

What brand of figure skate boot do you wear?

Riedell
11 (16.7%)
Jackson
26 (39.4%)
Harlick
5 (7.6%)
SP-Teri
5 (7.6%)
Edea
5 (7.6%)
Risport
8 (12.1%)
Gam
1 (1.5%)
Graf
1 (1.5%)
Avanta
2 (3%)
Wifa
0 (0%)
Klingbeil
2 (3%)
Other (specify below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: What brand of figure skate boot do you wear?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
What brand of figure skate boot do you wear?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »
(a) Companion poll to my poll on blade manufacturers.  Number of boot manufacturers is also much larger than when I first started skating.

(b) If you have different pairs of skates with different brands of boots, click all applicable options.

(c) Note:  Klingbeil is now kaput.  But since they have a reputation for long service life and a loyal following, I've listed them.

(d) Choose "Other" only if the manufacturer makes at least one separate boot model not pre-mounted as part of a boot and blade kit.  That is, do not include brands such as "Lake Placid" (pre-mounted kits only) and brands for kits sold at department, sporting-goods, and discount stores.

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: What brand of figure skate boot do you wear?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »
Edea Flamencos.

Going to possibly talk to Harlick when I'm out in San Fran in a few weeks just to see if their skates are a good fit. Love my edeas but I've finally accepted I don't have stock boot feet, and Edeas were a good transition in that aspect.

Offline Mirabelka

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »
Risport RF3, my very first non-recreational skates. They are very comfortable and fit my feet well but I'll probably need something more stiff soon.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
My patch boots are old klingbeils, so it's good that you listed them as an option.  (I have 2-3 other pairs in the garage.)

My current freestyle boots are Harlicks.

In the past, I've tried Jackson's and SP-Teri's as well
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
Right now I'm in Jackson Debuts but starting next week I will be breaking in my Avantas.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »
Right now I'm in Jackson Debuts but starting next week I will be breaking in my Avantas.
From a different thread on the Debut, you got them only last Aug.  What happened?  Did they break down already?  Or other problems?

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
From a different thread on the Debut, you got them only last Aug.  What happened?  Did they break down already?  Or other problems?

Yup, that is true. A little of both. I've had a very difficult time with boots since I've started, getting misfit and then boots starting to break down. I've been through in this order Jackson Freestyle, Riedell Stride, Reidell 910 and now the Jackson Debuts all in about 2.5 years.

Issues that I'm currently having is I've developed a pump bump on my left heel which is making backward crossovers very difficult. I've also developed some bumps around the big toe on both feet. The tongue at first felt very stiff and difficult to break in until finally all the tongue padding compressed and it just feels like cardboard. It provides enough support but not comfort so I'm starting to add lace bite to my issues

Also, some glue has started to seep out into the lining.

My feet are somewhat difficult being 2 different length and two different heel widths

Having said that these have fit me better than any of the others and probably still have many months of life left in them. But given my feet issues and the fact that the opportunity arose to be able to get fitted at the factory I choose to get fitted for Avantas.

The quoted a lead time of 4-5 weeks and they were done in 4 weeks.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
Yup, that is true. A little of both. I've had a very difficult time with boots since I've started, getting misfit and then boots starting to break down. I've been through in this order Jackson Freestyle, Riedell Stride, Reidell 910 and now the Jackson Debuts all in about 2.5 years.

Issues that I'm currently having is I've developed a pump bump on my left heel which is making backward crossovers very difficult. I've also developed some bumps around the big toe on both feet. The tongue at first felt very stiff and difficult to break in until finally all the tongue padding compressed and it just feels like cardboard. It provides enough support but not comfort so I'm starting to add lace bite to my issues

My feet are somewhat difficult being 2 different length and two different heel widths

Having said that these have fit me better than any of the others and probably still have many months of life left in them. But given my feet issues and the fact that the opportunity arose to be able to get fitted at the factory I choose to get fitted for Avantas.

Hope they work out.  Fifth time's a charm?

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
Hope they work out.  Fifth time's a charm?

I hope so. Tired of having to change boots all the time and the first time I tried to learn in 2004 I gave up after going through 3 pairs so this is probably the most cost-effective route. Even though I have access to the same fitter that does many of the high-level athletes in my area they are too busy to really fine tune for low skilled skaters.

Offline tereskacz

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »

Uff, I was about to order Debut, but that sound terrible! I read  on forums that poeple have issies with this last and that they are not able to ger heel down properly... so is it different last/shape than Freestyle is? Did you had issues with Freestyles?

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 01:03:03 AM »
I was in freestyles that were a size too big so my heels and everything would slip.

I feel that the heel pocket in the Debut might be too short so many heels might not fit down into it. The debut fusion is a different last from the original debuts that I have so it might not be a problem. I would still say the Debuts are better than the Freestyles but now my feet have slipped into customs well I'm a snob.

I do think though for the price point that Riedell offers a better quality product even though it doesn't fit me well. So far as the comfort features go.

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »
Uff, I was about to order Debut, but that sound terrible! I read  on forums that poeple have issies with this last and that they are not able to ger heel down properly... so is it different last/shape than Freestyle is? Did you had issues with Freestyles?

The Debut Fusion is built on the Elite last as are the new Elle and Freestyles according to Jackson.  My 9 year old has been skating in the Debut Fusion Standard for 4 months.  She went from the old Elle to the Debut with absolutely no issues.  She tested and passed in them 3 days after she got them.  They have been a great boot for her, but her foot seems perfect for the Jackson fit, wider ball and narrower heel.

Offline Ageing Gracefully

• Back after 40 years
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • old age can kill you!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
Just getting back into it after nearly 40 years, I'd never heard of Jackson.  Now they're everywhere.
Pat McGill

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 07:59:17 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I'll let the poll run, but here's a snapshot of the results as of May 30, 2018.

ETA:  This is a limited sample, of course.  The results so far are surprising to me.  I was expecting Riedell and Jackson to be close at the top, with Edea coming in third.  But Jackson outruns the pack.

Offline Freeskatekate

• Rink Rat
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I'll let the poll run, but here's a snapshot of the results as of May 30, 2018.

ETA:  This is a limited sample, of course.  The results so far are surprising to me.  I was expecting Riedell and Jackson to be close at the top, with Edea coming in third.  But Jackson outruns the pack.

I think it’s an availability factor. The pro shops in my city only stock lower end  Jackson’s or Reidells. There’s no other options unless you go the custom route so you’re forced into those two.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 06:03:47 AM »
I think it’s an availability factor. The pro shops in my city only stock lower end  Jackson’s or Reidells. There’s no other options unless you go the custom route so you’re forced into those two.
What I've found surprising in the poll results so far is how far ahead Jackson is relative to Riedell.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
I'm not surprised.  The active skatingforums members are primarily adults.  Many adults have wide feet and the go-to brand for wide feet is Jackson.  Their "regular" width has traditionally been a little wider than Riedell.  Yes, you can custom-order wide-width Riedells, but that delays getting the skates, so many people go with Jacksons.  Some pro shops order their Riedell stock in C-width to balance, but then you lose the kids who really don't have wide feet.  (Or, the skaters are mis-sized with too-long skates or too-wide skates.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Jess_sk8s

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 09:06:05 PM »
I wear Jackson Finesse dance boot. This is my first time in dance boots and i love them.  Have previously worn lower level riedells, jackson mystiques and jackson freestyles. Switched to jacksons from riedells because the riedells were way too narrow for my wide feet.