You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell 435 TS w/Coronation Ace, or Jackson Premiere w/Ultimate Elite?  (Read 7410 times)

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
Hi All!

I'm trying to decide on new boots and blades, but am getting conflicting info from two local dealers.  I'm not working with a coach yet, so I'm not sure I can get help there (looking in to it).  In the meantime, I'm hopeful someone here might be able to help.  I skated all through my teens and early 20's, then sporadically until we started our family 5 years ago, but am not at all familiar with the current crop of boots and blades on the market.

I was skating in Riedell 925 Comps with Coronation Ace blades (7ft rocker) - a combo I used and loved for a really long time (rebuilt once because I didn't want to part with them, lol), but after having my daughter my boots don't fit anymore and Riedell can't stretch them enough. If they could, I'd be totally happy keeping them.

Here's where my questions come in - one fitter thinks I should be back in a Riedell boot (435 or 875 TS) with the Coronation Ace, requiring a trip to Riedell (semi-local) to get fitted because the dealer doesn't carry my new width. This fitter didn't seem to think the Jacksons or SP Terri's were even worth trying for me.  The other fitter says Riedell skates aren't what they used to be, and suggested a Jackson boot (Premiere) with an Ultimate Elite Blade (8ft rocker).

My last boot/blade purchase was about 20 years ago, and at 18, my coach was still calling the shots so I didn't do much more than show up to try them on and hand over the cash.  I'm not sure which is the better boot - I love my Riedells, but the new ones aren't at all the same (understandable, it's been 20 yrs  :P ).  As for Jacksons . . . I know nothing.  I'm also curious about switching from a 7 to an 8 ft rocker - will it make much of a difference?  I haven't skated for 5 years, so maybe after all that time I wouldn't even notice?

I *think* I should at least have all my singles up to and including my lutz (not willing to try with my boots this tight, but my jumps always seem to come back quickly), and can't imagine pushing for anything more than an axel any time soon, if ever.  I jump big, and I'm at a pretty high weight right now so I need a boot that can handle that and hopefully not need to be replaced too quickly.

Any help, suggestions or been there/done that stories would be appreciated.

Thank you!  :)

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Riedell 435 TS w/Coronation Ace, or Jackson Premiere w/Ultimate Elite?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:17:55 AM »
Fitters have preferences, just like everyone else.  Generally they will try to sell you the brand they like most to work with  or the one they're representing. 

I'd stick with the Riedells if that's what fit your feet.  Even though Ridell redesigns their shells every few years, they still stick with pretty much the same basic footbed.  I wore Riedells for decades and generally had no problem with the fit.  I just had to keep changing models as they upped their stiffness so that the Golds I started with 20-odd years ago became Silvers eventually.  Same stiffness, different name. 

The only people I know that have Jacksons are either non-jumping adults or low-level kids.  While everyone I know loves them, they do seem to replace them often.  Ideally you should try different brands to see which ones suit, then you can consider the model that's best for your skill level.

The blade is a separate issue.  If you like the coronation aces, then stick with them. You can always change the blade later on if you want to.  But the boot needs to FIT.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
The only people I know that have Jacksons are either non-jumping adults or low-level kids.  While everyone I know loves them, they do seem to replace them often.  Ideally you should try different brands to see which ones suit, then you can consider the model that's best for your skill level.

The blade is a separate issue.  If you like the coronation aces, then stick with them. You can always change the blade later on if you want to.  But the boot needs to FIT.
I am a jumping adult (working on the lutz & axel) with Jackson Elites and love them, have had the same pair for almost three years (skate about 10 hrs/week). YMMV. I also have Coronation Aces and love them as well. "Often" might be a subjective term. Many of the younger skaters at my rink replace their skates yearly because of growth issues rather than breakdown issues (boots are re-sold to younger skaters).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:40:27 PM »
Since Riedells have been around longer in the US, I've found that a lot of parents and coaches stick with what they know, which are Riedells.  I have skaters doing sit spins, camels and beginning axels in Jacksons.  I really like their skates and haven't had the complaints about blisters and pain that I've heard from my Riedell-wearing students.  (Who had moms who *loved* their Riedells and insisted on them for their daughters.  Just sayin')

Since you were happy with the Riedell skates' fit, stick with that brand and get the 435 TS.  Hopefully, you'll be able to try them on at the factory - you might want to send your measurements in advance and ask if they can have sample pair for try on and possibly purchase on the spot.

Riedell skates are more narrow than Jacksons when you compare the widths of same-length insoles.  If you find that the Riedell's stock widths don't work for you, you can save money on your skates (vs. custom Riedells) by trying Jackson skates.  They're less expensive and they are just as well-made as Riedells.

IIRC, SP-Teri skates seem to run along the sizing of Riedells.  Unless you're working on doubles, I wouldn't buy the more expensive SP-Teri's if you were happy with Riedell.

Since you're an adult, you won't outgrow these soon, but the skates may become too big if you undergo a weight loss.  In that event, the less-expensive alternative is the one to pursue since you would have to buy new skates again.

I would stick with the Coronation Aces as well, regardless of which boot you choose.  Good luck!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »

Pretty much agreed - fit is the most important thing ... However, about Jacksons being worn only by non-jumping adults: I know a male elite pairs skater who was doing triples in Jacksons stock boot (top of the Elite line, iirc) when he competed.  Can't imagine him being very easy on the boots ;)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »
Jeff Buttle competed in Jacksons :). And I watched Don Jackson himself landing some amazing doubles and axels the other day in them.

That said.  Jacksons do not fit all feet; Riedells do not fit all feet.  Go with what fits you.  No, Riedells are not what they used to be; in the opinion of most of those that have used them thru the years, they have improved significantly.  As a result, they are currently the best selling skate in North America. We love our Riedells for our daughters. However, that's because they fit their feet. Other skaters are equally happy in Jacksons, Risport, because that's what fits your feet.

Riedells certainly can be got in wider widths. You can also easily order them in split widths, which is partly why we like them. We had an awful time with the Jacksons as they had a too-wide heel that worsened over time, leading to Achilles tendon issues - however, that's because of the shape of the foot in question, and others would likely NOT have that issue.

Note that the Jackson heel height and the Riedell heel height and "cant" of the boot are different. You will experience some transition issues if you change manufacturers.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
Hi All!

Here's where my questions come in - one fitter thinks I should be back in a Riedell boot (435 or 875 TS) with the Coronation Ace, requiring a trip to Riedell (semi-local) to get fitted because the dealer doesn't carry my new width. This fitter didn't seem to think the Jacksons or SP Terri's were even worth trying for me.  The other fitter says Riedell skates aren't what they used to be, and suggested a Jackson boot (Premiere) with an Ultimate Elite Blade (8ft rocker).

Thank you!  :)

The Jackson Elite is the same profile as a Pattern 99 blade. That's a toe pick change - bigger and straight cut - vs the Coro Ace. If you want a CoroAce equivalent in the Ultima line, you need the Legacy (or the Ultima Lites). If you are bigger, then you should be in the 875. 435 will break down too fast. My DD is 5'9 and 135, she broken in the 875 (and predecessor Gold Star) in a month - at that point 5'6" tall - and she just does singles in terms of jumps, although she does have quite the powerful stroking and knee bend. They lasted her nicely for 2 years, we changed them just for aesthetics and because the 875 weighed less than the Gold Star.

Offline Elsa

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
Wow!  Thanks everybody!  It's nice to know that people are happy with both boots. :)  I got worried when the one fitter mentioned he'd had a lot of skaters that were unhappy with the new Riedell line-up. I think I'm going to head down to Riedell next week and see what they have to say about which boot (of theirs) I ought to be in.  As much as I loved my old ones, I was in Riedells because at that time it was all our shop carried (smaller MN city).  Whether they were the best for me - who knows?

The price point on the Jacksons is really tempting though, especially if loosing weight could change the fit over the next few months.  They were also really comfy, which growing up in the "if your skates aren't uncomfortable, they're too big" era, was a bit concerning. 

As for the blade change, I think I can work with the picks, but how would the 8ft rocker change things?  I heard they're easier to spin on.  Is that true, and are there other things they'd make more difficult that aren't worth having an easier sweet spot? 

Again, I've been off the ice long enough that I figure I'll just convince myself that any issues I'm having are from being away, not from an equipment change, lol.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »
I just wanted to clarify my statement about the Jacksons.  I said that the only people I know who have Jacksons are low-level skaters and non-jumping adults.  Therefore, I don't opersonally know anyone who has done a lot of heavy straong training in them and so would not comment on how well they'd work at higher levels.  It was not intended as a disparaging comment on all Jackson boots or those who have and love them.

By replacing "often" I meant "more often that the other popular brands I know."  Not all the skaters I know who wore the Jacksons outgrew them.  I also don't know whether the ones whose Jacksons broke down and had to be replaced after barely six months had bought the correct boot for their level. 

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
If Reidell is semi-local and if the 2 fitters you saw are in the Twin Cities, I can probably guess which ones they are by what they are recommending.  I have the Reidell 435 with the MK professional blade.  I had to get the wide width.  My teen DD has the same set up, but with a B width.  I am working on single jumps through lutz and she is working on some doubles. 

When we were in Boston this summer for ISI Worlds, there was a vendor that knew several of the brands: Reidell, Jackson, S-Teri, Klingbeill.  DH & I spent about a half hour talking about skate fit with him.  He thought my DD was a perfect fit for Reidells and recommended the Jacksons for me (wider foot). 

That said I know several people who have gone down to the Reidell home office to have skates looked at or "fixed."  I have heard nothing but good things about their service.

Offline Elsa

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
PinkLaces, I'm curious what you think of the two - I PM'd you. :) I know where my club used to send skaters, but that was 20 years ago, and things sometimes change.  For now, I don't have any real connections down here to ask.

The Jackson recommendation for your wider foot is nice to hear.  The fitter that suggested the Riedells here admitted I was pushing the limit of the highest stock width, but still wants me to go down to Red Wing and try them there.  I'm really curious why they wouldn't try me in the Jacksons - they did have them.     The other fitter had me in stock Jacksons that fit beautifully on the first try (though we tried a few different combos just to be sure).  I guess everyone has their favorites.  *shrugs* 

I've been to Riedell, and they are wonderful. I dealt with them directly - email, calls, and two visits. The service was great, and my rebuild was beautiful - I had my boots with me when I went skate shopping and both places were impressed that 20 yr old boots could be in such great shape.  I wish they still fit.

Offline Elsa

Re: Riedell 435 TS w/Coronation Ace, or Jackson Premiere w/Ultima Elite?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »
Well I bit the bullet today and went with the Jackson Premieres, and the Ultima Elite blade.  The blade has a 30 day guarantee, so if I hate it they'll take it back and put the CoroAces on instead.  This was a less expensive option than the Riedell/Ace combo and the boot fit really well.  It also gives me a chance to get back to the rink consistently and get a better idea of where I'm headed, and what I want to do.  If a year from now they break down or are no longer the right product for me, I won't feel as bad as I would flushing a more expensive set up. 

I get on the ice with them for the first time tomorrow, and then am picking my daughter up and taking her in for her first skates.  If I have any trouble with mine, I'll be able to get them punched out or whatever right away.   

Thanks for all the suggestions (here and in PM), I'm really glad I found this board.  :)