You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Heels slipping and rubbing on calf?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline maddieonice

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Heels slipping and rubbing on calf?
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
Hi,

I am skating in Jackson freestyles in the size 5c, I've had them for a little under 7 months and I had no problem with them until about a month ago.
My heels seem to be slipping (it slips and rubs A LOT more on my right foot than my left) when I do certain jumps and the top of my right skate is rubbing my calf about 2 inches above my ankle causing it to break through the skin, leaving scabs.

Is there anything I can do to stop the slipping and rubbing until these boots break down or until I can afford new skates? (I have tried different lacing techniques and Ive put things in-between the tongue of the boot and my foot but neither of these have worked)

Should I look into getting split-width skates or is it possible that the padding has just worn down?
The pro-shop I go to is being renovated so it is being closed for a week or two but I will be making a trip down there to talk to the fitter once they re-open.

Thanks!  :D

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Heels slipping and rubbing on calf?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:17 PM »
Did you try a gel tube?  Cut it horizontally in half--one section around the heel and one around the ankle where the boot rubs.

I can say that I've heard of people sanding the rough part of the boot where it rubs against the leg and it helped.  I had the boot rubbing problem and eventually after using a lot of moleskin pieces over bandaids over the leg, my leg toughened up and it stopped.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Heels slipping and rubbing on calf?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »
We had the same size and I had the same problem. Turns out I fit better with a 4.5 B. For my next boots though, I'm going to get a combination boot, since the ball area is quite tight.

I taped cosmetic pads to the heel area of the inside of the boot to keep my heel in place. Eventually though, I couldn't do anything about the length, so I ended up buying a new pair smaller by a half-size and narrower as well.