You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Caring for Riedell Boots  (Read 2424 times)

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 9
Caring for Riedell Boots
« on: June 10, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
Hi.  I bought some Riedell Flair skates about 5 months ago and I've never waterproofed them myself.  They did if for me at the skate shop when I bought them but I know it's probably past time that they be done again.  I bought some Sno Seal but I wasn't sure if I should just use this on the soles of the skates or if I can use it for the boots as well?  I'm most concerned about the soles b/c I don't want them to start cracking but I'd also like to keep the leather on the boots in good shape.  If I can't use Sno Seal for the entire skate (other than the blade), what other product do your recommend?    In the Riedell brouchure, they suggest Heel and Sno Enamel, Silicone Protection, Lexal Leather Conditioner, Riedell Shoe Finish, and Sno Seal.  This just seems like way too many products for me to buy but at the same time, I don't want to do anything to damage the skates or fail to do something that would protect them.  My last skates were Risport and I never did anything to them and they lasted a long time.  However, I've heard that Riedells are different for some reason and need waterproofing. 

Another question is how often should I waterproof them?  I think Riedell recommends once a month but this seems like overkill to me, especially since I don't usually skate more than 6 hours a week!
Thank You

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Caring for Riedell Boots
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
My Riedell boots lasted over 8 years and I never did anything special to the leather or the sole.  I was meticulous about drying them off and letting them air dry (outside of the skate bag) after each skate, though.  My sharpener originally put Sno Seal on the sole but I never needed to have it done beyond that first time.  I agree with you that the list of products seems excessive.  Maybe ask your sharpener periodically if he/she thinks you need to reapply the Sno Seal.  You do not use Sno Seal on the boot upper.  Enjoy your skates!

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »
Wow, your Riedells lasted a long time.  I hope mine will hold up that long.  I, too, am good about drying off my skates and taking them out of the bag when I get home.  That's a good idea about asking the skate sharpener what they recommend.  Thanks for your reply!

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »
I agree that keeping water from penetrating the soles is the most important thing. Sno-Seal repels water, and is simple to use on the soles when you need a refresh. If you are careful about air drying, you can go MUCH longer than a month between applications.

Treat the uppers like any shoe, and apply shoe polish when needed.

You don't need each item listed by Riedell.

BTW, I'm on year 8 for my current Riedells also.
Bill Schneider

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Wow, another skater with 8-year old Riedell skates.  That's awesome!  I thought I'd be lucky if I could get 3 years use out of mine so it's very encouraging to hear that they can last much longer with proper care of them.  Thanks for your reply.  Riedell's list of products seemed way too much but I just wanted to make sure.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
Actually, my math was bad. I have had them since 2007, so that makes them 10-years old.
Bill Schneider

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »
Hey, that's even better!   :D

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »
Hi.  I bought some Riedell Flair skates about 5 months ago and I've never waterproofed them myself.  They did if for me at the skate shop when I bought them but I know it's probably past time that they be done again.  I bought some Sno Seal but I wasn't sure if I should just use this on the soles of the skates or if I can use it for the boots as well?  I'm most concerned about the soles b/c I don't want them to start cracking but I'd also like to keep the leather on the boots in good shape.  If I can't use Sno Seal for the entire skate (other than the blade), what other product do your recommend?    In the Riedell brouchure, they suggest Heel and Sno Enamel, Silicone Protection, Lexal Leather Conditioner, Riedell Shoe Finish, and Sno Seal.  This just seems like way too many products for me to buy but at the same time, I don't want to do anything to damage the skates or fail to do something that would protect them.  My last skates were Risport and I never did anything to them and they lasted a long time.  However, I've heard that Riedells are different for some reason and need waterproofing. 

Another question is how often should I waterproof them?  I think Riedell recommends once a month but this seems like overkill to me, especially since I don't usually skate more than 6 hours a week!
Thank You
Ask your skate tech what he used for waterproofing the bottoms of the soles and heels.  If he used varnish or polyurethane, I wouldn't use Sno-Seal.  If he used Sno-Seal, OK to reapply as needed. Sno-Seal is applied only on the bottoms of the heel and sole; nowhere else, especially since (a) it requires heat and (b) it tends to fill up pores.  It is used primarily for water repellency.  If you dry your boots and blades thoroughly after each session, you shouldn't need a reapplication more than once a year.   

Heel-and-Sole enamel is applied only to the edges (sides) of the sole and heel.  It is primarily for cosmetic repair of scuff marks.  It was very popular back in the days when the edges of both women's white boots and men's black boots were painted black.  After a while, the black paint would get scuffed up.  Not all edges are painted black anymore (Riedell has the enamel in brown, neutral, and black).  Use only as needed for touch ups.  If you don't care about minor scuff marks, you don't need it.  You can just use silicone protectant instead (see below); especially, if the edges on your boots are natural.

Shoe polish is applied only to the uppers.  It is primarily for cosmetic repair of scuff marks.  Use only as needed for touch ups.  If you don't care about minor scuff marks, you don't need it.  You can just use silicone protectant instead (see below).

Lexol is applied only to the uppers.  It is used primarily to soften leather.  If you keep your boots dry (and especially if you use silicone protectant <see below>), this isn't needed.  Since it does soften leather, you should not use it too frequently (maybe every 6 months at most).

Silicone protectant can be applied to the uppers; it can also be applied to the edges (sides) of the soles and heels if you want to skip the heel-and-sole enamel.  It is used primarily to provide water repellency.  I apply it every 3 months (I skate 7.5 hrs/wk). 

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
Thank you so much for your explanation of all these items, tstop4me.  I had no idea what each product was for.  Now I know what I have to have and what I can skip!