You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Men in Synchro?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Men in Synchro?
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:23:27 PM »
Do guys typically do synchronized skating? I only ask because as I switch to another club I've been offered the potential chance at giving a synchro team a shot. I think it'd be fun as an adult and for the second time...being the only male. Seriously, all the emails start with 'Hello ladies'. Haha.

Thanks!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Men in Synchro?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:26:11 AM »
If you watch the world championships, you'll notice the top Scandinavian teams have a few men.  I've known a few men who did it.  One of them both coached and participated.

But no it's not typical.  Try it though.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
If you watch the world championships, you'll notice the top Scandinavian teams have a few men.  I've known a few men who did it.  One of them both coached and participated.

But no it's not typical.  Try it though.

Fair enough! So at least its not unheard of :D I will definitely give it a shot then! I sent my registration today ^_^

Thanks for the response!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
It's not at all unheard of, at both the "up and coming" levels, and at the adult levels. In fact, there have been at least two all-male adult synchro teams that I've heard of, and I know of several synchro teams, adult and etc., with at least one man on them.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
We had two men on our last adult synchro team!
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:06:09 AM »
I tried it for a while...

Some of them make you wear weird, skin-tight clothing, and maybe even pastel colors, to match the ladies. If you care, ask. In general, just ask whether a particular group admits men.

Last I heard, collegiate USFS[A] Synchro was being proposed as a title IX (all women) sport. Not sure if that happened. It wouldn't be that surprising if the current administration tried to kill title IX - though that would be unpopular within the affected group. But that would only affect competitive collegiate groups.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
We have a guy on our adult synchro team. Be sure, we tease him, and threaten sequins, ruffles and all sorts of wonderful things, but when it comes to it, he wears the normal black pants and a shirt that goes with our dresses.  But he's really good natured about it, teases us right back, and is always ready to throw on a wig when its appropriate (and yes, it is appropriate more often than you might think!!) and goes for it.  Especially for the end of season show, he often has special roles to play, and gets to take center stage, I think more often than he'd prefer, but he goes along with it.  Just like anyone else on the team, he's an integral and respected member.  If he's uncomfortable with something, either outfit, choreo, theme, whatever, he speaks up.  We don't ask him to do things outside his comfort zone.

I know when there was a Sr team, there were a handful of guys who skated on it.  From what I can see of past outfits, they also did the black pants, and a co-ordinating shirt, nothing too outrageous.  Johnny Weir would be disappointed.

Hopefully this is how it is everywhere, especially on the recreational level teams (if you're going to eventually skate for the Haydenettes....that'll be another story).  I would say go for it.  I love synchro, having the team comradarie takes skating to a whole new level.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:31:30 AM »

Well there is certainly no lack of support at giving it a shot here! It's actually rather exciting. @Query None of that would bother me in the slightest. Pastel colors are <3 I'm mostly just checking to see if there are generally any men on these teams. I've had a lot of support so far to give it a shot. I just hope my skating is up to snuff!

@Loops So basically, you're saying it's awesome ^_^ I'm glad to hear it. The outfits and stuff don't scare me. Luckily for me I already have hair almost to my butt :D So no need for a wig haha.

I like the way you've described it though <3 Camaraderie is always a great thing. I'll definitely be giving it a shot then! They gave me a short list of the necessary skating skills and I believe I'm at least the basics of it!

My Blog