You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Your New Years Resolutions a Skater (2010)  (Read 9535 times)

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Your New Years Resolutions a a Skater.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »
1) Testing

a) Pre-juvenile moves (ideally in the April or June Test)
b) Juvenile moves (December Test)
c) Preliminary Freestyle (??December Test??)

2) Maybe competition this summer again?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
WISH LIST 2011

1. I hope to land lutz and start working toward axel (which means loop needs to get more spring).

2. Spins-wise I'd love to have camel and maybe layback. (So difficult to put harder things on a schedule)

3. Core strength improvement. Stretching regularly to get a split, but be careful not to pull the muscle again (was really close but neglected to warm up first).

4. Private lessons and work on a program.

lutz, back scratch, and camel will take a long while!

Hmmmm early evaluation is interesting.

4. Been working with Coach for about 9 months now. I am very happy with him and look forward to every lesson. Squeezed in a show program too!

3. Total failure. No improvement on flexibility because, um, I was not stretching much. Lately wasn't even warming up properly before practice. (Com'on!)

2. Camel is within reach if I don't lose it all over again (I blame program preparation to save face hehe). Back scratch on true outside edge pretty much all the time, yeah!

1. Loop much improved! Coach gives OK to 2-foot off-ice jump attempts aiming at 1.5 rev. Lutz has been given much more attention lately, quite a reach for 2011, Coach positive though.

Overall, I am happy with how things were paced this year. FS4 elements solidified through show program preparation, and I am definitely in no hurry to get out of FS5!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
1) pass bronze moves and freestyle  (moves passed, hopefully testing freestyle next month!)
2) learn and land an axel by December 31, 2011 (close to working on it, have to land lutz first)
3) perform my first solo program (done and done)
4) participate in my first competetition that isn't a basic skills competition  (done and done)
5) more than 4 revs in my backspin (Still working on it)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »
1. (early in year) Compete in Pre-preliminary with axel.
2. (later on in the year) Compete Preliminary or Pre-juv.
3. (for whole year) Land & make consistent four doubles and one double combination.
4. Have a flying camel spin
1. Nope. It's no-test for me.
2. Probably not.
3. What was I thinking? :laugh: I think I'll settle for landing two or three doubles. Forget the consistency and the combo.
4. Haven't learnt it yet but I'll probably learn it after competitions are all done.
5. Now that I've begun testing, I want to pass through Pre-juv moves by the end of the year. Not really sure how long it realistically takes to acquire Pre-juv elements so this resolution isn't solidified yet.

I tend to set the bar way high when making short term goals. Pre-juv competition? Did I hit my head or something before I typed that three months ago? :angel
Okay, so my revised goals are (1) Land three doubles & axel, and (2) Pass Pre-juv moves.
Three doubles and axel, done. If I'm lucky I'll land a fourth double. Testing Pre-juv moves soon.

Way back in December doubles were very new and I did not realize they would take longer than I thought. :angel

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »
I'm still working on 2008 resolutions + a choctaw.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
1. Land the lutz
2. Pass Silver Moves

1. Well, I did it - tonight.   ;D  Landed several on one foot.  They were not great, but they were landed.
2.  Not happening this year.  I've made progress though.

I'll think up something more obtainable than Silver Moves.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
I didn't post any new year's resolutions here, but the targets I've been reaching for are in sight.  I am close to having all the skills I need (consistent) to pass the next FS test and my moves in the field are coming along to the point that my one coach told me this morning that my back inner twizzles were better than any other back inner twizzles she's seen out on a test session so far.   :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Way back in December doubles were very new and I did not realize they would take longer than I thought. :angel

I think if doubles were as (relatively) easy as singles, everyone would do them  ;D

You've come a long way since last December though - you've really accomplished a lot this year!

Offline Sierra

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
I think if doubles were as (relatively) easy as singles, everyone would do them  ;D

You've come a long way since last December though - you've really accomplished a lot this year!
A few months ago I was beginning to think I wouldn't land anything this year. Then I landed everything at once.  :laugh:

1. Well, I did it - tonight.   ;D  Landed several on one foot.  They were not great, but they were landed.
CONGRATS ;D

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 12:57:28 AM »
Im working to get to the rink more often. I'm possibly testing bronze free in 5 weeks. I've got to get a solid back spin by then. I can get it but I fall onto the inside edge

I think my coach is finally pulling out the harness this week. I think I might splurge and do an hour lesson this week so we can have some extra time in it.

I won't be testing silver moves til next year. Almost everything is close to passing standard but we want it way above so I don't have to worry. :)

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 06:31:42 AM »
1) Pass Senior Moves
2) Fully rotated axel (with proper air position)
3) Fully rotated double sal (with proper air position)
4) Double toe
5) Attempt Intermediate Free Test
6) Start Dance (yay! Dutch Waltz)

Let's see here:

1) Senior moves - still in progress. Took a bit of a break in testing them after two attempted that got me retries. The retries were so close (.3 and .2 respectively) and it wasn't that I screwed up. In many ways that would have been easier if I had put a foot down or fell or something.
2) Axel: This is getting closer. I am back to doing them from a side hop and we are working on positions. I have much less of a skid now and it is very close to being fully rotated. And...my legs are crossed!
3) Double Sal: Still not fully rotated, but position is getting better.
4) Double Toe: Nope.
5) Intermediate test: Need to accomplish #2 and #3 first.
6) Start dance: I could do this one, but the agreement with coach was accomplishing #1 first. That way I am not splitting time.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
Bumpety-bump - how'd you make out?  The 2012 Skating Resolutions thread is a'coming...
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sierra

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »
Okay, so my revised goals are (1) Land three doubles & axel, and (2) Pass Pre-juv moves.
Three doubles and axel, done. If I'm lucky I'll land a fourth double. Testing Pre-juv moves soon.
Passed my Moves. So (after two revisions) I've done both goals.

Even though I didn't achieve my original insane competition goals, I still think I've done well. I'll compete Preliminary in the spring, and going from No-test to Prelim in less than a year is still fairly good.

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
So, after stopping pairs and taking 4 months off the ice due to illness and injury...

1. Test level 1-5 field moves

Nope. Working on all the patterns but 2 or 3, but testing has taken a backburner

2. Get biellmann position on other leg

No. Body does not want to twist that way!

3. Split, charlotte and fan spirals

Sort-of. I actually got to about 170 (so passable split) pre-time off, but limited stretching since.

4. Passable camel and maybe doughnut spin

Yes!Doughnut is actually more consistent than camel and looks much better though.

5. Passable sit and one variation

No. Hit the sit and broken occasionally before time off again, but not got either back yet (still have injury on that skating leg)

6: Passable layback. Depending on #2, maybe start on biellmann spin...
7: Land axel. Maybe 2sal or 2toe

Ha! No.

8. At least one death spiral - probably BoDs
9. Star or platter lift

Well, given I stopped pairs...

I'm not too upset though I am disappointed that I've not really been able to make progress for the last 7 months of the year. Still, many of these goals will likely re-emerge next year, and I'll have a much closer rink too.