You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is anyone from Jacksonville?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
Is anyone from Jacksonville?
« on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »
I was on the SkatesUS website searching for Edea dealing/knowledgeable proshops within a reasonable driving distance to my current location. Jacksonville Ice Sportsplex popped up and I'm curious to know if anyone on this forum has personally used the services before and can recommend or not? I'm getting a used pair of Edeas and I need a reputable place to get my blades properly mounted and sharpened and just generally get the boots checked for correct sizing. I know that having someone who is specifically aware of Edea is very important.

There are also two rinks in the Atlanta area that supposedly deal Edea as well that would be good, but Jacksonville is about an hours drive closer. Any suggestions??

[Mod Note: Topic moved to the Pro Shop forum]

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Is anyone from Jacksonville?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 09:27:17 PM »
I am. Don't.

Go to Brian Kader at RDV in Orlando.

Offline davincisop

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 09:29:27 PM »
Also, it is a bit of a drive but Randy Davis in Melboune, Florida is amazing. Jax used to bring him up to sharpen and when they trained someone in house to do it (the guy did a terrible job) I would make the drive down.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
Ah, ok thanks for the info. Orlando is about 6 hours drive for me, which is comparable to Atlanta and I have places to stay in Atlanta so I'd likely choose that over Orlando. But I do very much appreciate the info and the rec to NOT go to Jacksonville. That's exactly what I needed! Thanks!!

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
Did you ever get to Atlanta _wonderland?  If so, where in Atlanta did you go?  I need to find some stores that have a large selection of skates that I can try on and I can get to Atlanta pretty easily.  But the couple of pro shops that I've been to there didn't have a large selection.  Do you know if any stores in this area have a good selection? 

Also I had a question for davincisop.  I know you recommended RDV in Orlando and a place in Melbourne.  Do they have a good selection in stock?  My feet are narrow in the heel but wider in the toes.  And I have low arches on top of that.  So buying skates on the Internet is not a good option for me because I have to pay to ship them back when they don't fit.  And some sites charge a restock fee on top of that!   

If anyone else can recommend a store with a good selection of widths and sizes, please let me know.  I'm willing to travel anywhere in the southeast.  I could probably travel up North as well, where I know my odds of finding something is better, but this time of year, I'd prefer not to travel to snowy places :)  Thanks!

Offline davincisop

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
If you're looking for skates in stock, go to Panthers Ice Den in coral springs. RDV and Space Coast have a limited selection of skates and styles, pretty much only lower level stuff, no boot/blade separates.

I'm currently waiting for my skates I ordered through PID to arrive (needed D width Edeas so they had to custom order). If you know your size, I'd recommend calling to make sure they carry and have in stock since that's a LONG drive.

There may be other shops, but as far as what I am aware of, that is a good bet. I was shocked that I was able to try on an Edea in my size at the shop. But again, needed D width, so those should be arriving any day now (it's been 5 weeks).

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »
It is a long drive but I may give them call.  It's probably worth the drive.  Is there a knowledgeable fitter that you would recommend that I ask for at that shop?  Thank you!

Offline davincisop

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Gaby was who fitted me down there. They are knowledgable. :)

The shop is mainly hockey, but they do look like they stock a decent spread of skates. If you do go, bring a sweater. All the rinks are open air so the whole lobby area is freezing.

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:19:01 PM »
Great, thank you so much!