You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Strength Training aiding in huge progress for DD  (Read 1765 times)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Strength Training aiding in huge progress for DD
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
My daughter switched coaches in the fall and they ask their skaters to take at least one of their off-ice classes during the year. During the summer, they run an optional training camp two days a week which includes an hour long off-ice class each day that focuses on core strength in addition to on-ice classes. It has only been a few weeks, but already DD is having elements come together that she has struggled with for a long time, especially spins. I can't believe what a change we're seeing in her body and how much her strength has developed in such a short time - I can't wait to see where she is at the end of the summer. She strongly dislikes the classes, they are brutal, but she sure is happy about her results. Hopefully she will make the connection between the amount of effort you put into something most times drastically effects the end results. One of the many positive life lessons figure skating offers.

Offline ~Twinkies~

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Strength Training aiding in huge progress for DD
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:10:22 PM »
I have found, much the same as you, that my DD hates off-ice strengthening classes, but they do a WORLD of good. Skills she has struggled for a while just seem to magically appear on ice once she pumps up that core strength. She recognizes that the off-ice classes help, but she still complains about them  88).

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »
What kind of classes are they? My daughter does off ice with a personal trainer who uses methods that are similar to cross-fit but with a touch of ninja warrior. He makes it fun and uses all kinds of gadgetry, variation, and competition. The girls barely know they are working out and they love to go.

Maybe there is something in your area that would be more fun and less brutal? We have also seen a great improvement in core strength and speed after working off ice. But my daughter won't do anything she finds brutal, which is why she doesn't do ballet.  ;)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:14:45 PM »
Maybe brutal is the wrong word, but it is really, really hard. As much as she complains, she also loves to demonstrate at home how hard the exercises are and I think she is proud of what she is accomplishing. We talk lots about developing grit and determination, it is good for her to learn how to push past uncomfortable and dig deep to discover mental and physical strength she didn't know was in her. She goes grumbling in the morning, but she comes out happy and in a great mood, albeit sore, in the afternoon. I wonder if she would enjoy a crossfit class for teens, I'll have to check into that for when the summer is over.