You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: City National Arena, Las Vegas, NV  (Read 15212 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
City National Arena, Las Vegas, NV
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »
City National Arena, Las Vegas, NV
https://www.citynationalarenavegas.com/

New rink in Las Vegas and boy, is it beautiful!  It's home to the Vegas Golden Knights and they set a stunning theme of gold-and-black throughout the facility.  Yes, hockey rules at this rink, but they do have a LTS program and some freestyle sessions.  Check their website for schedules.

No harness line, but one or more coaches use pole harnesses

LTS program was the most organized that I've seen in a long, long time.  They had classes spread out all over the ice, not just between the hockey lines and everyone got the job done without a hundred cones to divide the groups.  They use a cart to bring out beanbags, slalom cones and other teaching tools.  Made cleanup a five-minute job, which was amazing.

Two sheets of ice, with a restaurant and workout/meeting areas upstairs, accessible to both rinks' stadium seating.  Great view from the stands/upstairs area.

Snack bar food options were good - they had prepared salads and sandwiches in addition to yogurt and healthy snacks.

The Mackenzie River Pizza Pub & Grill (upstairs) was exactly what you would expect - pizza, burgers and a token salad.  Focus is on beer. (No surprise: let people drink and watch hockey games before they drive home.)  Their website's "employment" section was interesting - it must be a chain given the benefits they offered to prospective employees, including 10 days of paid leave for military/reservists.

The Arsenal pro shop was basically a Golden Knights merchandise store, with plain clothes security watching for shoplifters.  They did have a skate tech area in the back where they sold equipment and supplies (tape, wax, etc.)  There was nothing on the services sign related to figure skating and I did not see a single figure skating item in the entire shop.  Hockey rules!

Freestyle sessions are an hour long and many are available weekdays and early Saturday mornings.  They offer a lot of open freestyle ice in the mornings.  Two of the daily freestyles are High Performance sessions.  Skaters have to have passed Pre-Preliminary MIF and be able to do a full Lutz.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Re: City National Arena, Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »
I was there at the beginning of March. OMG that ice was perfectly groomed! Heaven!