You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea boots sole length n blade issue  (Read 9612 times)

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Edea boots sole length n blade issue
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »
according to Edea guidelines, boot size 25 has a sole length of 249mm, does sole length equal to footbed length?
From their guidelines, recommended blade size are 9 2/3 n 9 3/4. So can i mount a 9 1/2" MK blade to a 255 Edea boots?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Edea boots sole length n blade issue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:47:58 AM »
What does your skate technician say?

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:09 AM »
because there's only 1 retailer in singapore and i not confident with them since they are more profit minded. im used to a Risport 250 so now change yo Edea so i needed some professional guidance.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
I've got a 255 Ice Fly, with a 9 3/4"  blade mounted. The blade is completely heel to toe on the sole.  I don't think that most skate techs would recommend to put a 9 1/2" blade on a 255, it will definitively be short for a heel to toe mounting. Assuming you would mount a 9 1/2" blade on you'd have about 1/4" on the back... I know that some people do do that but I dont think it is recommend.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »
I had this conversation with our skate tech just a month ago because we bought 255s. He said we could mount either a 9.5 or a 9.75 but he recommended the 9.75 so that the blade could move up to the next two pairs of boots with her when she grows.

Her 9.75 blade reaches the absolute ends of the sole so the 9.5 is probably going to sit only about a 1/4" short. Her 9.25 MK Pros that had been on her 250s would not work well for her on the 255s and were too small.

Hope that helps.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »
Also, how much life is left in your current blades and does it really make sense to keep them for the next pair of skates or are you going to be ready for a new blade sometime soon anyway. That could help make the decision.

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 09:24:59 AM »
I'm grown adult now and i think the blade still can last for a long time. I seldom skate now but the boot really need to change.

Offline Loops

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
I've got a 255 Ice Fly, with a 9 3/4"  blade mounted. The blade is completely heel to toe on the sole.  I don't think that most skate techs would recommend to put a 9 1/2" blade on a 255, it will definitively be short for a heel to toe mounting. Assuming you would mount a 9 1/2" blade on you'd have about 1/4" on the back... I know that some people do do that but I don't think it is recommend.

My skate tech (who has a very good reputation) mounts with about a 1/4"of space left at the heel.  The toe plate is flush with the front of the boot.  He would put you in the 9 1/2's.  The only people I know who consistently recommend the heel to toe mounting are Klingbeil/Avanta, but it seems Physics' tech does it that way too.  Looks like you can do whatever, stick with the 9.5's or go up like Physics has done.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »
My tech has always insisted on doing the heel to toe mounting on my Edeas and Jacksons.
I have 245 Edeas with a 9" blade if that helps

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
I have Edea 255 (Chorus) and bought new blades (pattern 99) for them at 9.5".  That was what my skate tech recommended.  Then again, my feet aren't growing.

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »
I have Edea 255 (Chorus) and bought new blades (pattern 99) for them at 9.5".  That was what my skate tech recommended.  Then again, my feet aren't growing.

how your skates tech mount it? the blade position

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
As I recall, the sole plate is pretty close to the front of the boot and there is a small gap between the back of the heel plate and the back of the heel.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
One custom boot maker told me that, on full custom boots, they try to size and position the outsole so that type of mounting (the front of the outsole flush with the front of the blade front mounting plate) will be ideal.

Of course that is hard to do, if they don't see the skater, but have to use someone else's measurements. E.g., the position of the front will vary if the blade is offset - and they have to guess where the foot is most flexible (which should be placed a little behind the sweet spot) based on a foot tracing. In addition, if they don't provide the blades, and they don't know what type of blades will be used, they have to guess where the sweet spot on the blades will be - which varies by blade brand and model.

AFAIK, most of the skate techs try to size the blade so that, with the front flush mount, the back of the blade heel plate will be between flush with the back of the outsole, and up to 1/4" forwards of that (many say 1/8"). Presumably, as with the front mount point, a custom boot maker can try to make that work well with the skater's foot.

But the "normal" positions and lengths can't be expected to work optimal on a non-custom boot, or, even on a custom boot, when the boot maker has incomplete information.

The skate tech I've discussed this with most, who is very well respected, told me that he mounts the front mounting plate flush to the front of the outsole. He knows it doesn't always make the most sense - but if he didn't, most of the people in the business would view him as incompetent.

So, instead of adjusting the front/back mounting position and length, he often reshapes the blades to work with the skater's feet.

Of course he does custom work, so if a skater asked for a different position and length, he would provide it.

Regardless, AFAIK, Edea doesn't create full custom boots. Some of their dealers are trained to modify boot shapes with heat guns or hair driers (their version of "heat molding"), but they can't modify the sole area. So there is no reason whatsoever to presume that a "normal" mounting will be optimal for a given skater and blades.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
Why is fore-aft blade placement so critical anyway?  What are the considerations here?  i.e. what are the problems with going too far forward or back anyway?    Apart from the "unfamiliar factor" of a very different mounting?

Offline Loops

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 07:49:43 PM »
Why is fore-aft blade placement so critical anyway?  What are the considerations here?  i.e. what are the problems with going too far forward or back anyway?    Apart from the "unfamiliar factor" of a very different mounting?

Position of the spin rocker! It needs to be under the ball of the foot.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 10:50:33 PM »
Position of the spin rocker! It needs to be under the ball of the foot.

At the risk of sounding stupid, but this is a serious question:  why?  why not 10mm in front or behind the ball?  What's so biomechanically special about that exact spot?

I see talented inline freestyle skaters spin pretty impressively on the front wheel, and that's typically miles in front of the balls.  And artistic roller people often spin on their heel axle.  So what gives?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
I see talented inline freestyle skaters spin pretty impressively on the front wheel, and that's typically miles in front of the balls.  And artistic roller people often spin on their heel axle.  So what gives?

For one thing, wouldn't it be very hard to spin inlines anywhere between wheels? :)

For me, on ice, the sweet spot represents something I can FEEL - so I know where I am on the blade. I have a lot of trouble with rocking. Feeling the sweet spot gives me feedback to try to control that. I've tried just barely scraping the drag pick (the rear-most toe pick tooth), but I don't feel as fine control that way. I sharpen my blades in such a way as to slightly exaggerate the sweet spot, so I can feel it more easily.

But personally, at least for turns, I want to have the ball of my foot a little BEHIND the sweet spot. I feel I have a lot more control of my foot just in front of the ball, by 1 or 2 mm.

What about you folks? Where exactly on your foot do feel the most control, for turns and/or spins?

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 12:43:20 AM »
maybe i just sell the old blade n getting a correct blade fo Edea 255.  how is thr combination of EdeaOverture n  MK professional(parabolic) for mostly footwork, no jumps?

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »
my daughter is in 255 and has 9.5.
My son is in 300 and has an 11 !

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
i see. can you share a picture how skate trch position mount the 9.5 blade on 255?
much appreciated. ;D

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:03:24 AM »
i see. can you share a picture how skate trch position mount the 9.5 blade on 255?
much appreciated. ;D

But there is no best position. It all depends on your feet and body.

The Edea guidelines are just that - first guesses, for people who have never worn skates before. If your old blades worked well with your old boots, there is no reason to change them, unless they are worn out.

The only way in which boots should effect where the toepick, sweet spot and tail with respect to positions on your foot, is that if your heel is higher, you need a slightly shorter blade, because you would look to approximately retain the horizontal projection of the foot and blade on the ice. If the heel is lower, you need slightly longer blades, for the same reason. If the heel height is the same, the old blades should work fine, unless they are worn out - and if they are worn out, get the same blade length as before, unless you feel you needed a shorter or longer blade on the old skates.

(For kids with growing feet, blades must lengthen with the feet. But that's not you.)

I would claim you would be best off starting with your old blades. Mount them so the position of the front and back of each blade have the same relationship to the front, back and ball points on your corresponding foot (NOT the footbed or boot) as before. If that doesn't work well, play with mount position. If you really don't like the results, then and ONLY THEN get new blades.

Adopting Edea's length guidelines, or assuming you need new blades because the boots are longer or shorter is not only silly, but probably counter-productive.

Sure, a skate tech will tell you to get new blades, whether you need them or not. They are in business to make money.

Offline 4d10s

• Rink Rat
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
visited pro shop yesterday. the retailer told me i can choose 250(tight) or 255(comfort) after measurement. she said that is ok to mount 9.5"inch blade to 255. sp i ordered 255 n plan to mount my old 9.5" blade, exciting.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »
I would also think that a 9 1/2 blade on an Edea 255, would be too short. However, if you watch any videos of Julia Lipnitskaya, you can see the on her Ice Fly's that her blades do not go heel to toe. The appear to be mounted like a blade on a traditional boot, with having 1/4 inch space at the heal.
I would also think, with the higher heal profile with Edea's, that it would make things very touchy with such a short blade.

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »
Updating this thread.  I had a 255 Edea chorus with 9.5" pattern 99.  After a year of use and much thought I decided to replace the 9.5" with a 9.75".  Prior to the Edea I had a 7.5 Jackson with a 10" blade.  Since I was never truly comfortable with the shorter blade (hard of course without knowing to guess if it was the blade, the higher heeled boot, or both) I decided last weekend to take the plunge and move up a size (9.75" blade also fits on a 255 Edea).  Problems with the old blades included a problem checking my forward outside 3's on the exit (I'm working on silver moves and the 3-turn thing was a problem I had never had before).  Two days into the new 9.75" blades and I would say the forward outside 3's are much better and all in all I feel more solid on a ll my turns.  Again, I had come from a 10" blade so to some extent it makes more sense that I'm somewhat more comfortable on the slightly longer blade.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 08:54:04 PM »
I got a pair of used Ice fly's about a month ago and they are a 240, with a 8 3/4 blade. The blade is not heel to toe. There is space at the heel like a blade mounting on a "conventional" boot.
I was watching a video of Julia Lipnitskaya and her blades are mounted the same way as mine are and she seems to be fine with it.  Julia has Gold Seal blades on her Ice Fly's, as I do as well. I had not been able to try my Ice Fly's out yet, due to fitting problems. I hope to try them out this week. :0)