You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Skates? Help!  (Read 5282 times)

Offline jojobobo

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
New Skates? Help!
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
Hello! I've been sort of poking around this and other skating forums trying to find some answers, so hoping I can get some feedback from more knowledgeable skaters. :) Having some issues with my feet/skates and looking to see if I should be upgrading my skates. So any advice is super appreciated! TL;DR at the end.

So, I've been skating for about a year and a half now, started from adult group lessons and am taking private now. I've gone through basic 1-8 and am working now on... freestyle 1-2ish, maybe 3? I'm currently skating in Jackson Glacier 520. Whenever I lace them up I never feel like i'm fully supported unless I lace them really tight and if I lace them looser, I can 'wobble' my foot in the skate. Time for new skates?

I've recently increased my skating from once a week to two-three times a week, ~two hours each session, and am experiencing some odd nerve issues with the front part of my right ankle. If i push down on a specific spot/area, i feel this electric shock tingly feeling that goes down to the front of my foot, resulting in numbness on the top of my foot between my big toe and second toe. No pain, just numbness. Does this sound like lace bite from my skate? Not sure. Haven't brought up this issue with my coach yet because I figured it might just go away on it's own w/icing and rest, but it's been a couple of weeks now and it's annoying. I have been using bunga pads and don't think it's really helping. Anyone else experience this before?

I've been looking around at different skate brands and I understand the importance of trying on different skates for different foot types, so I'll look into that, but is there any advice on looking for boots and what will last me the longest as I make progress?  Is it overkill to purchase separate boot and blade at this point? Should my coach be going with me to look at boots or is a qualified fitter enough? SO MANY QUESTIONS  88) haha.

TL;DR- skates never feel supportive enough even when i lace them tight and tightness of skates may be causing nerve issues on front of ankle? Had skates for 1.5 years, time for new skates? Boot recommendations? Too low a level to purchase separate boot and blades?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and really, any advice at all would be super super helpful.  :D Thanks!!!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: New Skates? Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:30 PM »
Yes you need new skates.  Yes the boot and blade should be separate.  Yes you should visit a reputable fitter who will look at your feet. 

Boot stiffness recommendations depend on your weight.

Do not ignore nerve problems or they may become permanent.

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
My first pair of skates were Glaciers and they lasted me about 1.5 years, though towards the last half year, they were really breaking down. I fell down in them once and suffered whiplash because they weren't supportive. I also suffered nerve damage in both feet (the tingliness you describe) as I continued to skate with them after that fall. One of my ankles towards the front center, another more towards the side. It is a scary feeling having tingly feet. As my boots were splitting in parts and because of these injuries, skating in my boots was scary for a while.

Beginner boots are great to get us into the sport, helping us to figure out if we like skating. But they need to be replaced with more supportive boots when we figure out we enjoy the sport and want to continue skating. Beginner boots probably last longer for someone who rarely skates. But are not built to last if you are a frequent skater.

I moved on to Jackson Premieres because I am a heavy skater and needed a wide width stock boot. They lasted me 4 years and I am in process of replacing them for a wider skate.

A good fitter will figure out what shaped feet you have and what boots will work for you based on your feet, weight, skating level, and other factors. Hopefully you can find a dealer who fits for many brands.

I very much recommend replacing your skates as soon as you can, as it sounds like your boots are not as supportive and cushy as you need them to be. You may encounter more problems as you skate with them.

I waited too long to replace mine. Thankfully the nerve tingliness went away with my new skates.

Be safe and take care of your feet.

Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline jojobobo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »
Okay, looks like I will be checking out some new boots. Thanks for the advice!

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
My 45 lb 6 year old was wearing strides (stiffness 50) and the like, and if her foot didn't grow she would have broken them down. She is Freeskate 4. I wouldn't go too stiff right off the bat from glaciers, but you may want to consider the elle/freestyle (jackson) or stride/edge (riedell) depending on your foot shape.

Offline jojobobo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »
Okay, thanks! I'll look into those.

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »
In my opinion, Glaciers do not have nearly enough ankle support for freestyle elements. Glaciers are recreational skates with a cheap sole and cheap blades. Definitely recommend new skates. I just got new skates and Im around your level.
sk8 obsessed

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:56:31 AM »
If the electric shock sensation in the one foot, like you are describing continues once you change skates and/or is occurring without the skates on, it could be a neuroma (thickening of the nerve tissue between the foot bones) . I had two neuromas in my left foot, one between metatarsals 2-3 and one between 3-4. I had the one between 2-3 removed and the other one does not bother me so much, at least not yet. The reason I bring them up is that the electric shock is the classic symptom, and I first noticed mine only when wearing more confining shoes or high heels, ice skates  could certainly trigger them to start bothering you.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »
My 45 lb 6 year old was wearing strides (stiffness 50) and the like, and if her foot didn't grow she would have broken them down. She is Freeskate 4. I wouldn't go too stiff right off the bat from glaciers, but you may want to consider the elle/freestyle (jackson) or stride/edge (riedell) depending on your foot shape.

Jackson: The Elle is actually a lower stiffness then the Classique, but cost wise it is more expensive because it has a leather sole. So it really depends on what you are looking for. The Freestyle is stiffer than the Classique and has a leather sole like the Elle.

Riddell: The Diamond is slightly less stiff and less expensive then the Stride, but the Stride is the first level with a leather sole. Again it depends on what you are looking for.

For a reference: I just went from recreational (i.e. 0 stiff skates) to Riedell Strides and I'm in Adult Basic 4. I'm an adult 5'3" and 220lbs. It took about 20 hours on the ice to feel like the skates were broken in enough to do everything I could do before getting my new skates. The stiffness feels maybe a little too stiff/ about right, any stiffer and I think it would have been (more) agonizing to break them in coming from my rec skates. I will say that my technique has improve a bit.

Please let me know if you have any more questions after getting my new skates and going back and forth between jackson and riedell about ten times, I feel like I have the catalogues memorized. Also briefly considered GAM. (Gam is made by the same company as Jackson).

Also Kinzie's Closet has useful sizing charts and descriptions of how the different brands fit.

Offline jlspink22

New Skates? Help!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »

Jackson: The Elle is actually a lower stiffness then the Classique, but cost wise it is more expensive because it has a leather sole. So it really depends on what you are looking for. The Freestyle is stiffer than the Classique and has a leather sole like the Elle.

Riddell: The Diamond is slightly less stiff and less expensive then the Stride, but the Stride is the first level with a leather sole. Again it depends on what you are looking for.

For a reference: I just went from recreational (i.e. 0 stiff skates) to Riedell Strides and I'm in Adult Basic 4. I'm an adult 5'3" and 220lbs. It took about 20 hours on the ice to feel like the skates were broken in enough to do everything I could do before getting my new skates. The stiffness feels maybe a little too stiff/ about right, any stiffer and I think it would have been (more) agonizing to break them in coming from my rec skates. I will say that my technique has improve a bit.

Please let me know if you have any more questions after getting my new skates and going back and forth between jackson and riedell about ten times, I feel like I have the catalogues memorized. Also briefly considered GAM. (Gam is made by the same company as Jackson).

Also Kinzie's Closet has useful sizing charts and descriptions of how the different brands fit.

The problem with the classique/ diamond styles that we would have had  are 2-fold. One is plastic soles (no blade remounting) and PVC coated uppers which prevents punching out from staying and of course no heat molding. Heat molding helps speed up the break in process by letting the boot conform to your foot shape.  Heavy stroking and lots of waltz jumps and lunges, sit spins is what she's been doing to break hers in (although she's in an older silver star model now F55).

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 10:39:56 PM »
The problem with the classique/ diamond styles that we would have had  are 2-fold. One is plastic soles (no blade remounting) and PVC coated uppers which prevents punching out from staying and of course no heat molding. Heat molding helps speed up the break in process by letting the boot conform to your foot shape.  Heavy stroking and lots of waltz jumps and lunges, sit spins is what she's been doing to break hers in (although she's in an older silver star model now F55).
like I said it depends on what she is looking for. But I agree that the leather sole has definite pros and the headmoldability it definitely worth it. I didn't think I wanted to deal with a leather sole, but I am happy knowing I can upgrade my blade if I want. I will say that I was a little annoyed that when I bought the Iredell boot/blade combo for the stride the blade came permanently mounted. I would have liked the option of adjusting it first rather.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »

like I said it depends on what she is looking for. But I agree that the leather sole has definite pros and the headmoldability it definitely worth it. I didn't think I wanted to deal with a leather sole, but I am happy knowing I can upgrade my blade if I want. I will say that I was a little annoyed that when I bought the Iredell boot/blade combo for the stride the blade came permanently mounted. I would have liked the option of adjusting it first rather.

Our strides came with a stock blade and we replaced right away (were not sure if it would fit at first). You can order boot only once you get to leather only.

Offline jojobobo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice!

I talked to my coach about getting new skates and he recommended either Jackson Freestyle or Jackson Competitor. Does anyone have experience w/both of these boots? Or can tell me what the difference is besides stiffness? I know the blades are different if you buy the mounted versions - aspire vs. aspire xp- but is there a noticeable difference between the blades and will it matter at my level? Which boot will last me longer through the levels?

Oh and I'm 5'7 and about 140lbs, if that helps.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »
I wore Competitors for about 10 years until I bumped up to Premiere for a split last. I am considerably heavier than you, and my first pair lasted about eight years of 2-3 hours a week. I thought they were stiff to begin with (moved up from Mystique), but I adjusted pretty quickly.

Some of what you get depends on your skating style. I have a friend doing axels in the Freestyle. She's probably about your size, so they would probably work for you.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 02:31:22 AM »
You'll have a better idea when you try them on.  Are you sure you're a Jackson foot even?  SarahSpins has a very good test for stiffness:

When you're in the shop with the boots on, keep your feet flat on ground and bend your knees.  If you can get your knees over your toes than the boots aren't too stiff.  The fitter should be able to help you out, too. 

Stiffness depends on height/weight, level, and technique.  There's also some personal preference in there too. I break down skates quickly, thus like a stiffer skate, some of the girls at my rink wear very soft skates.  I recommend to err on the side of a skate being too soft- worst case here is that you need new skates sooner.  If they're too stiff it can impede your progress (and in extreme cases, cause injuries).

Good luck choosing! 

Offline jojobobo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
Some of what you get depends on your skating style. I have a friend doing axels in the Freestyle. She's probably about your size, so they would probably work for you.

Do you know if she just kept the stock blade or if she purchased a different one?

Any advice on buying the skate w/blade mounted vs. purchasing a blade separate?
I think the competitor already has the blade mounted, but freestyle you can purchase boot only.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »

I think she has close to the skates I have! I have the silver star 355 probably from about 2004, found new on eBay for excellent price. Love them, and I am a plus sized adult. They are supportive, were featured above 90 stiffness on the reference page I found, but they are so comfy after a brief break in. I am enamored with mine (they are my avatar) hope she likes her older model too :)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »
Do you know if she just kept the stock blade or if she purchased a different one?

Any advice on buying the skate w/blade mounted vs. purchasing a blade separate?
I think the competitor already has the blade mounted, but freestyle you can purchase boot only.

She uses the MK Pro, so not the stock blade. She was going to buy mine when I got my Premieres, but I was able two transfer them to the shorter boots.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 03:56:12 PM »

Sorry guys, my original post made no sense because I put it under the wrong quote, my apologies. It was supposed to go under this quote...  "I think she has close to the skates I have! I have the silver star 355 probably from about 2004, found new on eBay for excellent price. Love them, and I am a plus sized adult. They are supportive, were featured above 90 stiffness on the reference page I found, but they are so comfy after a brief break in. I am enamored with mine (they are my avatar) hope she likes her older model too :) "

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »

Sorry guys, my original post made no sense because I put it under the wrong quote, my apologies. It was supposed to go under this quote...  "I think she has close to the skates I have! I have the silver star 355 probably from about 2004, found new on eBay for excellent price. Love them, and I am a plus sized adult. They are supportive, were featured above 90 stiffness on the reference page I found, but they are so comfy after a brief break in. I am enamored with mine (they are my avatar) hope she likes her older model too :) "

I think the 355/55 are closer to today's bronze star or motions in stiffness but after about 10 hours they are fitting her well. She is very hard on skates and her spins and jumps are already looking better compared to her prior pair which were starting to break down.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
I think the 355/55 are closer to today's bronze star or motions in stiffness but after about 10 hours they are fitting her well. She is very hard on skates and her spins and jumps are already looking better compared to her prior pair which were starting to break down.

Did some more research on it and you are correct, comparable to the current Bronze Star with about an 80 rated support. This may explain why, as a novice I do not feel over booted in these, I was very worried about that when I first ordered them. I think it's my size that is hard on my skates, not my activity, but these have been amazing so far. Glad your daughter is enjoying hers as well.