You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Would you enter?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Would you enter?
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »
We have a fairly small local competition coming up shortly and I was thinking about entering. There is another lady who is incredibly good who was trying to decide if she should enter when a third person who is also very good came up and said she assumed I wouldn't be entering and implied I'd be wasting the entry fee. I really don't think it was meant in a nasty way - I've not had a chance to practice my program recently as I've been recovering from my foot injury, getting used to my new skates, and preparing for my dance test. Also I won't be able to skate for a few weeks in the month before the competition, but I was thinking of the competition as a good goal to aim for, and was planning to discuss it with my coach but now I'm thinking it's maybe too much.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Would you enter?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Ignore who might be competing and focus on whether you want to do the competition (and whether you feel you have enough time to feel prepared for it).
Once you make that decision you can then worry about who your competitors are.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Neither of these ladies would be my competitors - they are both at much higher levels. I would just be looking to see if I could improve my scores from last year.

Online littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »

Neither of these ladies would be my competitors - they are both at much higher levels. I would just be looking to see if I could improve my scores from last year.

In that case, why not go for it? :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
So was the one skater implying that you would be wasting the entry fee because you wouldn't have anyone competing in your event?

It is always a good thing to get yourself out there whether there is anyone else in your group or not!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
I agree, you should enter.  Especially if you don't have local competitions very often - it will give you a great goal to work towards and an opportunity to perform your program with no one else on the ice in your way.  If you decide to do it, I hope you have fun and enjoy the journey of preparing for the competition!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Enter if only for the opportunity to get more experience skating before a crowd and judges. Not to mention the whole costume panic thing.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »
So was the one skater implying that you would be wasting the entry fee because you wouldn't have anyone competing in your event?

It is always a good thing to get yourself out there whether there is anyone else in your group or not!

That wasn't discussed. It was just a case of saying she assumed I wouldn't be competing, and when I said I was thinking about it but unsure she said it was a lot of money to waste.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
That wasn't discussed. It was just a case of saying she assumed I wouldn't be competing, and when I said I was thinking about it but unsure she said it was a lot of money to waste.

Sometimes it's not about you.

She may be thinking 'lessons, costume, ice time and it's only a dinky little comp' and and said something in the 'editorial voice': "it's a lot of money to waste" (with the unsaid part being 'for a dinky little local comp').

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

That is just a silly notion, honestly - it's ultimately your choice, and it's not money wasted, no matter what your competition is or how you expect to place.  Most adults I know compete just for the added experience getting in front of judges, it's not about the competition or the placement - those are just extras.  Your personal goal to skate better than you did before should be all you need to justify entering :)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
As long as you're not stressing yourself out over it, go for it!  Smaller and local sounds like fun!

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:33:18 AM »
Are you doing it because you love skating and that's that? Then enter. Nothing else matters!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »
Well, I discussed the competition with my coach who told me I'd be ready and he didn't see any reason why I shouldn't enter, so I'm going ahead. I'll definitely see what reaction I get from the lady....

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
I'm glad you're entering.  At our age/stage competitions are really (imo) something very personal.  It's not about the podium or final results, but really about our own goals and motivations.  The only reason I can think of for you not to do it, would be because of the potential stress closer in resulting from the time you'd need to be off ice.  It should be fun and not stressful.....well, not more than a reasonable amount of stress, anyway.  It being for you to define "reasonable".  So other than for curiousity and/or a chuckle, what that other lady has to say is really irrelevant.

Good luck!!!!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Agreed!  If you want to enter - enter.  For yourself!  Have fun with it.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle