You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Klingbeil Boots  (Read 12059 times)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Klingbeil Boots
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
My daughter's coach and I decided we have to do something different as regards her skates.  She has very wide hard to fit feet and her last boots have been a complete disaster.   She is only just 10, weighs about 90 lbs and is currently working on double axel.  She does tend to break down her boots even as small as she is, but her Jacksons are just TOO stiff and plain don't fit right.   So we are going to do Klingbeil, and they are also within driving distance for us so it will be easier if adjustments are needed.  How much more expensive is it going to be compared to her high end Jacksons?  I want to be prepared for it and not faint.  :sweat

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Klingbeil Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »
$500-$600 for Klingbeil boots.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
$500-600 for Klingbeil boots.

Thanks, I would have guessed that...not too shocking  :-X

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »
Klingbeil's site (great video from the Martha Stewart Show, btw.)
http://www.klingbeilskatingboots.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home
No prices listed, but look at the order form and information sheet to see the options.

Here's a pro shop that lists the prices for stock and custom Klingbeil's:

http://www.skatetexas.com/Klingbeil-Figure-Skate-Boots.html

Stock Boots
S-1 - $485
S-2 - $505
S-3 - $515

Custom Boots - $650

Sorry, I forgot about my PSA discount when I said $500-600.  $650 is probably the most current price.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »
I just bought my first pair of Klingbeils.  The prices are listed on the bottom of the sheet that you'll fill out during the fitting (or Lorraine will tell you over the phone). Adult boots are $649 plus NY tax which brought the total to $702.  I think I remember that the childrens' sizes were cheaper.

I reccommend going back to pick up the boots when they're ready (about 3 weeks) to have them adjusted and fitted in person, rather than having them shipped to you.

So far I like them a lot.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »
If you can go there, DO IT. The Klingbeils as people and the experience of going there are both amazing; we went there ourselves in the summer to have our kid's boots fitted. We had been wearing them, custom ordered from an approved fitter, before, but, this was the first time direct to the Klingbeils themselves.

Take her current boots so they can see how they are wearing/not wearing, by the way.

Anyways, the boots we got are the best fitting Klings we've ever had. They put some special features in that are not on the normal order form to accomodate some special needs on them. There is absolutely NO extra charge for any of the additional features; we have every imaginable bell and whistle you can have on these things. The family themselves are nice, helpful, and wonderful to deal with. You will enjoy the visit immensely, plus, you get to sign the famous chair :)

And, yes, it was $649 pre-tax for the boots, adult size.  There is no difference for the different S1, S2 etc, it's a simply one-price policy regardless of the options or strength you get. Trust me ... I don't think there are any options we DIDN'T get, other than funky coloured leather or rhinestones :)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
We are going there...it is about a 2 hour drive, and I agree on going back for the pick up.  After the struggle with the Jackson's this year, it is well worth the time (she spent so much time trying to fix her feet this year it was ridiculous-- and stressful)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Didn't need any additional adjustments on our skates (which is good, as we're WAY more than 2 hours away). My kid has freaky feet, and is picky on fit. Has worn custom Klings before (this is the 3rd pair) - and they've always worked well, however, this pair fit like, well, they were made for him.

By the way - they may be able to fit you in a stock boot.  You never know, and it would certainly save you time, money and effort.  Wide feet might not need a custom boot. We need them because of an odd overall "shape" of the foot that can't be accomodated ina stock boot, plus, a couple of other oddities.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 08:27:39 AM »
Didn't need any additional adjustments on our skates (which is good, as we're WAY more than 2 hours away). My kid has freaky feet, and is picky on fit. Has worn custom Klings before (this is the 3rd pair) - and they've always worked well, however, this pair fit like, well, they were made for him.

By the way - they may be able to fit you in a stock boot.  You never know, and it would certainly save you time, money and effort.  Wide feet might not need a custom boot. We need them because of an odd overall "shape" of the foot that can't be accomodated ina stock boot, plus, a couple of other oddities.

Maybe not!  The one reason we though Klingbeil might be good is there proximity in case of issues.  At this point, she'll probably love anything but her Jacksons.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »
I had Klingbeils for 13 years and LOVED them.  I switched to another brand  (won't mention which one) because they were giving 50% off to coaches, and also because I thought I wouldn't compete again.  I hate them!  Wish I had my Klingbeils back and am putting them on my Christmas list.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
Klingbeil's website now says they use "a high-technology foot foam system, that forms to the exact shape of your foot."

Does that mean they finally use heat molding? Or spray in foam?

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
Klingbeils are da bomb!! I'm going on my 4th pair - each pair has been even better than the previous pair.
So worth the drive for a personal fitting. Don is wonderful. Bill is terribly missed, but Don does a great job of filling his big shoes. Lorraine is a real sweetheart. Do go see them - it's a very special experience.

Re the foot foam system: that could be the foam mold they always have you step in to get your foot shape.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
Klingbeil's website now says they use "a high-technology foot foam system, that forms to the exact shape of your foot."

Does that mean they finally use heat molding? Or spray in foam?

Neither.  They use a pressure-sensitive foam mold during the measuring process to get an impression of your feet.  Most of the custom skate makers use them, especially when the skater can't come to the shop for an in-person measurement.

They're using a memory foam under the insoles that also helps the leather upper conform to your foot for comfort.

Skater's Edge has a video of the process here:
http://figureskating.about.com/od/bootsandblades/youtube/mold.htm

Speaking of the late Bill Klingbeil, I was reading a kid's skating book called "I Am a Skater" at the library the other day.  It was a photo essay book written about Emily Hughes when she was 12 years old.  On one page spread, they showed Emily at Klingbeil's, laughing with a bearded Don, then sitting in the big Klingbeil measuring chair with Bill marking her tracings and measurements in the big book.  It was so bittersweet - Bill looked just like I remember him, may he rest in peace.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Skater-Young-Dreamers/dp/0375802568
(Jane Feldman was the photographer/author)

Offline Petlover

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »
I'm an adult skater on my second pair of Klingbeil custom boots, my first pair lasted me 10 years.  I wouldn't skate in anything else!  The boots are fantastic, and the customer service from Klingbeil is just amazing.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
I'm an adult skater on my second pair of Klingbeil custom boots, my first pair lasted me 10 years.  I wouldn't skate in anything else!  The boots are fantastic, and the customer service from Klingbeil is just amazing.

We need this, when she had problems with her Jacksons, the customer service has been SO not amazing.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
As an adult with totally miserable, mutant feet, I had to go back for adjustments 4 times on my first pair of Klingbeils.  I was met with a smile each time, and never an additional charge.  I'm about to go back for an adjustment to my second pair after 2.5 years, and I'm looking forward to it.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »
I got stock Klings and they didn't put a tongue hook in them.

I think I should have asked my fitter for things like V cuts, Tongue hooks, and perhaps even black soles (mine are cork/brown colored... they really draw people's attention and I'm not really into having half the rink looking at me).

In any case, I had to get my blade moved like 5 times and a super feet (with moleskin over the front) before I could wear them for longer than 15 minutes before I'd prefer foot amputation.  They are hard as hell to break in, as well.  I have S-2s.

I've heard great things about their custom boots, but I'm planning to buy another pair of skates in the next 6 months or so, and they won't be Kling's because I'm not paying $500 to fly to New York for a fitting on top of $650 for some customs.

I think the boots are good and I think if they just fit then they're awesome.  Like I said, I've heard their custom skates were awesome.  Even Sasha Cohen had a pair on for 2010 Nationals.  But their stock boots...  I just don't trust them, anymore.  A $500 pair of skates have basically ended up costing me over $1500 for all the trips to the fitter, etc. that I had to make to get them to a passable/wearable state.

The boot was the right size, it's just the shape and feel of it on my feet was 250% wrong.  I even had to go to the E.R. and stop skating for 3 weeks because my right foot achilles got so agravated by them.

They look good and the weight is just right, though...  I'm not touching another pair, however.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »
Then you should definitely choose another brand, GoSveta. 
Try on several different brands and styles until you the right ones for your feet.

Sorry for you - I'm on my fourth pair of custom Klingbeils and I love them.  Just looked at a pair from 20+ years ago and they're still usable.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »
GoSveta, I agree with Isk8NYC...try on several different brands. While the size may have been right, there are intricacies for the way each brand is made that make them feel different. There are a lot of really good brands out there and there will be one that is right for your foot!

I go through boots rather quickly (about 18 months or so) and my coach was flabberghasted and suggested that I try Klingbeils because they do last a long time. However, I know that Harlick fits my foot and I have had zero problems with them except for the fact that I am hard on boots (plus I skate 7+ hours a week not including coaching time). I am going to stick with my Harlick Finalists until I find that they don't work any more :)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »
She was fitted 1.5 weeks ago and I just got the call they are done-- so Friday we go back to get them-- she cannot wait

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 10:52:43 AM »
How exciting - hope all goes perfectly!

Offline cherriee

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
She was fitted 1.5 weeks ago and I just got the call they are done-- so Friday we go back to get them-- she cannot wait

Jumpingbeansmom: I was fitted around the same time! I flew there though from down south. They shipped mine out last Friday.
Their speed is incredible: 1 week to make the boots, 1 week to order a pair of new blades for me + mounting.

I so look forward to receiving them.