You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea & Jackson skating shoes and blade question  (Read 9250 times)

Offline cuemommy

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Edea & Jackson skating shoes and blade question
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »

I own a pair of Women's Jackson Elite Boots size 5d (which I'm selling) that comes with Ultima Freestyle blade 9 1/4. 

Unfortunately the Jacksons are too small for me so I ordered Edea size 260.  I'm wondering if I can use my excellent condition Ultima 9 1/4 blades from the Jacksons  and transfer it to the Edea size 260.

The Edea chart suggests blade size 9 3/4 for 260.

I do a combination of figure, dance, and pair.   

Would it make any difference? It being 9 1/4  and the suggestion chart stating 9 3/4.   It seem so little of a difference.

I'm hoping I can transfer the blades to the Edea so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Julie Ann

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Edea & Jackson skating shoes and blade question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
I don't know anything about the difference in configurations of the soles of those two different boots, BUT in your post you mention that the Jacksons were too small. You have a 9 1/4 inch blade on them.

How much bigger are the new Edeas?  it would seem to me if the boots were not too small for you (ie., like the the Jackson's) then the blade from the Jacksons might be too short.

I am guessing the Edea people know what size blades go with their boots and 1/2 inch difference is a LOT. You might be able to get away with a 1/4 inch but a half inch will probably affect where the rocker lies in relation to the boot.  As a dancer you can get away with a shorter blade (and it might be great for your dances) - but 1/2 inch is a lot in skating blade/boot land.

Offline cuemommy

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
I appreciate your response  Icedancer.

I didn't realize between "9 1/4" and "9 3/4"  that it is 1/2 inch.  I'm not very good with math and I assumed it was only "1/4" difference between those two sizes.

It sounds like I should just sell the skates with the blades attached or sell them both separately. :-(   I really was hoping to use these awesome freestyle blades for the Edea.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
Are you sure the Edeas are fit correctly?  A 260 is about 2 full sizes larger than a Jackson 5 would be.  I would think it unlikely that you could even get a 5 on your foot if you truly fit the 260.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
You MIGHT be ok. I heard somewhere that if you get Edeas, your blade needs to be a bit smaller. But I could be wrong.

Offline cuemommy

• Rink Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »

This is the odd thing.   I have two pairs of skates... one Riedell size 5 w (which was for my daughter). I'm selling those as well.  Those blades are  9 1/3.  We all know that Riedells are normally longer than Jacksons. But the blades are 9 1/3 and seem to have some clearance around the soles. I think 1/4 clearance?

The jackson Elite 5 D  (which I also have that do NOT fit me)  have blade size 9 1/4  and it fits exactly from the front to the back with no clearance. 

The blades for the Riedells are much smaller (but the boot itself is a bit longer than the jackson). 

The Edeas are for me.  So I was hoping to use the better blades from the Jacksons on the Edeas.    I have not gotten the Edeas YET.  They are being shipped.

It sounds like I should just sell the Jacksons with the blades.  Whoever gets them is getting a terrific deal for sure. The blades itself is around $300 and even used, it is around $175.   The Jacksons itself, are Elite and over $400 was spent on them.

Julie Ann

PS. I do not want the blades from the Riedells. They are made for beginners. 

Offline cuemommy

• Rink Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »

I talked with the pro shop over the phone concerning the Edeas.  The 9 1/4 blade size won't work.  I have decided to sell my Jackson Elites with the freestyle blades. I posted it over for sale in the "for sale" section here on the forum.    I appreciate your help!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
I personally think that the blade length should fit your anatomy, not the length of the boots.

Why not move the old blades to the new boots, and see how that works out, by personal feel and/or by your coach's advise? You can buy new blades if you decide it would feel better to roll farther forward to touch your toe pick, and you aren't in danger of stepping down on the tail of the other boot, or if your coach thinks your skating would improve.

Edea can't see you skate, so they can't reliably guess over the phone. They simply gave you the most common industry-standard answer.

Good luck on your new skates!

You are very fortunate if you have found Dance and Pairs partners. I bet that you are a great skater and know better than Edea what you need.  :WS:

Offline cuemommy

• Rink Rat
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
Query

I will definitely do that. I think part of me is afraid to experiment because I don't want to get hurt! :-)  However I get my used Edea skates tmw and I'll be at the rink testing them out and will bring my other skates and talk to the pro shop and figure it all out.  Who knows??? Maybe it will work.

I agree finding a pair is so difficult.  Have to hit many places online plus coaches sometimes have connections.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »
Unless the heel plate is actually OFF the heel with the toe lined up at the front, you could probably use them just fine.  Some fitters don't like mounting blades that are "too short" but as long as they can be secured it really won't hurt anything, the tails will effectively just be shorter (which isn't really a bad thing, either).

I do still question the sizing of the Edeas.. based on your other post I think we have close to the same size feet (I typically wear an 8W, usually a 7.5W is just too tight around the ball of my foot even though the length is fine), and I'm comfortably fit in a 6.5 E/B jackson and I know for a fact that a 260 Edea would be too long on my feet... I've tried on a 250 that someone I know had ordered, and length wise that seemed good, but there was enough else about the boot that concerned me enough to basically eliminate it as ever being an option for me - I think they can be great boots if they happen to work for your feet and fit well, but you can't rely on only the size chart to get sized correctly.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
I do still question the sizing of the Edeas.. based on your other post I think we have close to the same size feet (I typically wear an 8W, usually a 7.5W is just too tight around the ball of my foot even though the length is fine), and I'm comfortably fit in a 6.5 E/B jackson and I know for a fact that a 260 Edea would be too long on my feet... I've tried on a 250 that someone I know had ordered, and length wise that seemed good, but there was enough else about the boot that concerned me enough to basically eliminate it as ever being an option for me - I think they can be great boots if they happen to work for your feet and fit well, but you can't rely on only the size chart to get sized correctly.

This. I tried on Edeas at Adult Nationals (Skates US was there) and they initially put me in a 270 and then said I could probably go to the 265 as the 270 was loose on my smaller foot. I wear a 9.5 street shoe and an 7.5/8 in Riedells. I just took a look at the Edea size chart/comparison and they suggest that someone wearing a 7.5/8 Riedells should be in a 275/280 Edea - I would have been swimming in that size. Were you fitted for the Edeas?

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »
I just got Edeas in size 245 and they take a 9-1/4" blade.  9-1/4" blade should also be OK for Edea size 250 but not a 255 or 260.  I wear a size 7-1/2 street shoe and my feet are a little wide in the front so I had the Edeas stretched a little in the front.  The length was perfect, though.  I knew 245 would be the right size in Edeas because I wear size 24.5 in Japanese shoes and their sizing is based on the length of the foot in centimeters.  Edea uses millimeters so you just remove the decimal. 

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 12:39:09 AM »
I just got Edeas in size 245 and they take a 9-1/4" blade.  9-1/4" blade should also be OK for Edea size 250 but not a 255 or 260.  I wear a size 7-1/2 street shoe...

I just bought the Edea Ice Fly in 255 and my 9 3/4" blades (which I have on my Harlick's), though recommended on Edea's site for 255's was not recommended by my coach as a wee tiny bit would hang over the edge of the heel so I had to buy my blades in a 9 1/2".  Therefore, I'll be on a 255 with a 9 1/2" blade.  FWIW, I'm an 8 street shoe. 
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
I just bought the Edea Ice Fly in 255 and my 9 3/4" blades (which I have on my Harlick's), though recommended on Edea's site for 255's was not recommended by my coach as a wee tiny bit would hang over the edge of the heel so I had to buy my blades in a 9 1/2".  Therefore, I'll be on a 255 with a 9 1/2" blade.  FWIW, I'm an 8 street shoe. 

I thought you just recently got  custom Harlicks- are you not liking them, slcbelle?

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
I thought you just recently got  custom Harlicks- are you not liking them, slcbelle?

Er...umm...well...after 7 months I was still having difficulty flexing the Harlick's and it was most apparent in my sit spins because the lower I'd go, the more I'd immediately rock onto the toe pick.  The ankles wouldn't bend enough to let me stay on the sweet spot.  I sent them back to Harlick and, after looking at them, Phil said they had come out stiffer than what I had ordered and removed some of the stiffness.  I noticed an immediate improvement in both the quality of my skating and my comfort.  However, I made the fateful mistake of trying on a pair of Ice Flys.  Woah.  SO different.  They are much lower on the ankle/shin and seemed ridiculously comfortable.  Another adult skater who wears the same size as me let me take her Ice Flys for a test drive on the ice and the amount of ankle flexion I had in them vs my Harlick's was night and day.  They are also really light and my Harlick's are heavy like bricks.  So, I bought a pair.   :blush:
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline cuemommy

• Rink Rat
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »

I got the EDEA Overture (stiffness level 48).  I posted in another thread (thick calves thread) that I liked the Edea Overture but it takes some getting used to.  I think the Ice Flys are much nicer but its too much for me at the moment. So I think the Overtures work for now.   

Pertaining to the sizing issue--- I mentioned I got them in size 260.  When they arrived and I put them on, I was relieved to see they fit me.  I am more of street size 8 to 8 1/2.  I mostly wear size 8 shoes.  I notice an inch or so of space in the Edeas. Do I think they are a "perfect" size for me, no.  Do they work for me "for now".  Yes.   

I think the Edeas are in regular width and my feet are extra wide, so it's a bit on the narrow side (and Edeas are known to fit wide feet).  Due to the fact that I got a good deal on the Overtures, I'll settle for them at the moment. If I skated every single day, obviously it would bother me, but I skate once or twice a week so it's not a real killer.

I hope one of these days I get nice Jackson skates or Edea Ice Flys. :-)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
I got the EDEA Overture (stiffness level 48).  I posted in another thread (thick calves thread) that I liked the Edea Overture but it takes some getting used to.  I think the Ice Flys are much nicer but its too much for me at the moment. So I think the Overtures work for now.   

Pertaining to the sizing issue--- I mentioned I got them in size 260.  When they arrived and I put them on, I was relieved to see they fit me.  I am more of street size 8 to 8 1/2.  I mostly wear size 8 shoes.  I notice an inch or so of space in the Edeas. Do I think they are a "perfect" size for me, no.  Do they work for me "for now".  Yes.   

I think the Edeas are in regular width and my feet are extra wide, so it's a bit on the narrow side (and Edeas are known to fit wide feet).  Due to the fact that I got a good deal on the Overtures, I'll settle for them at the moment. If I skated every single day, obviously it would bother me, but I skate once or twice a week so it's not a real killer.

I hope one of these days I get nice Jackson skates or Edea Ice Flys. :-)

You can get them stretched to fit your wide feet, but if they are long for you, you won't want to stretch them too much or your feet will start sliding forward in them.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
You can get them stretched to fit your wide feet, but if they are long for you, you won't want to stretch them too much or your feet will start sliding forward in them.

If they are long, go down a size. You will be frustrated to no end if your skates are too long. And I am the voice of experience. Mine were too long for ~12 years. I'm in semi customs a half size smaller and I can tell a huge difference already.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)