You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Your Rink's Holiday Show  (Read 1795 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Your Rink's Holiday Show
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
See something cute or interesting at your rink's show? or did you participate? Here's a place to share.

We had a cute team of skaters who were dressed in red and white long sleeve Ts, red berets and black slacks. It's based on the Apache look. It's a costume that could be worn by boys and girls and was very inexpensive.

The music in this movie is the traditional song, which they didn't use.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Your Rink's Holiday Show
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
This could be cute or not-so-cute, depending on your perspective.  I placed a shopping bag full of gift sacks for my skating students in the locker room yesterday before the skating show.  I had already given my private-lesson skaters their bags, but two of my students who weren't at the show, so I left their baggies with my things.  After my first group skated, I took out a bag full of small candy canes for the group in that locker room.  I gave one to each of the kids in the room, then went to give them out to the skaters watching the rest of the show.

When I came back into the locker room, one of the skaters proudly showed me a tiny wooden figurine.  I was confused because my gift bags had included figurines exactly like that one.  I thought that maybe another coach had the same trinkets, but then the girl admitted that she "found" it in the unattended gift bags! 

I will have to check and see if she "found" anything else!  I have time, but it made me shake my head in disbelief. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
Make sure she didn't find any money in your purse!

Anyone over 4 should know that's stealing.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
I think even a 4 year old would know that's stealing.  She felt "entitled" to the things inside the bag.  It's a generational thing.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
I think even a 4 year old would know that's stealing.  She felt "entitled" to the things inside the bag.  It's a generational thing.

I let it slide, other than saying it was someone else's gift.  I saw a twinge of guilt, so she may have put it back.  I didn't want to ruin the very-positive skating show experience.  I figured it could have been an honest mistake.  I was using the same type of gift bag for the candies I was giving.  She might have thought I was going to give them out to all the kids in her group. 

I know I'm making excuses for her, but she is young - only 4 or 5.  This was her first time doing the show and thinking about it, her big sister was one of the main skaters.  Maybe the sister was getting gifts and the kid felt left out so she wanted something special. 

I had nothing to gain by putting up a fuss; the intended recipient wasn't there so I have time to replenish the gift before I go visiting.  It was just an interesting scenario that I've never experienced before, lol.  It fit the thread theme.

Maybe I can corner the market on the trinkets at the after-Christmas sales so I can give them out next year.  They were around a dollar apiece before the holiday and it was impulsive of me to buy a dozen for the private-lesson students.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com