You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Beginner taking lessons from high-level coach?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Beginner taking lessons from high-level coach?
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:32:48 AM »
I'm a beginner ice dancer still working on my preliminary dances (Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Rhythm Blues). I currently take lessons under a local coach, who is the only one qualified to teach ice dance in my rink.

There is a visiting high-level ice dance coach in my rink. He's from the UK, NCCP Level 4 (the masters level is Level 5). I'd love to take lessons from him, since it'd be nice to know techniques from a high-level ice dancer.

Now here's the problem. His hourly rate is 3x as much as that of my current coach. He also does only 1-hour sessions, and won't do half-hour ones. At this point, I can only afford 1 hour from him every month, since I still plan to keep my current coach (I figured it would be better to have someone watch me on a more regular basis.)

Does it make sense for a beginner like me to take lessons from a high-level coach? If so, is it better to start the lessons while I'm still doing preliminary dance, or should I wait until I do pre-bronze or higher?

Thanks a lot!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Beginner taking lessons from high-level coach?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
I think it depends on how well do you work with your current coach, and how good is s/he in teaching the fundamentals.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »
I think this is a difficult answer.

I hesitated for a long time to take a lesson from a high level skater, thinking I needed to get my basic skills up to snuff. Then I took 4 lessons from a former US junior ice dance champion. He really improved my basic stroking, and taught me progressives in about 15 minutes (I'd been working on it for weeks). What made this successful was that I went in knowing I had some basic skills problems (I handed him a list). 

But you also need to consider
a. the coach may turn you down and want do focus on more advanced skaters or doesn't want to bother
b. he doesn't have experience teaching skaters at your level (yes it happens) and you find it's a waste of money.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
I have to agree with Agnes, this is somewhat difficult as there are many variables that go into a successful student/coach relationship.

In addition to the two issues that Agnes brought up (and yes, a high level coach may not want or be able to teach a low level skater) there is also the issue of your own coach. Is he/she willing to work with the high level coach? Would it be a team coaching proposition, or would you simply expect to take separate lessons on separate things from both? Have you spoken with your coach to see if he/she would even be all right with the arrangement?

The other issue is different teaching styles. While it is fantastic to get different points of view and see what works for you, it can also be difficult to reconcile the two styles long term.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
While I totally agree with the others, why not just take one lesson (if the pro will take you) and just give it a whirl.  You might totally love it or find that it is just not your cup of tea.

If I had the opportunity I would probably take it!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:06:21 PM »
I second what icedancer said. 

Lots of low level adult skaters have lessons with high level coaches at the club where I skate.  Even if it ends up just once and you only learn one thing it will be worth it just for the experience.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »
My daughter took beginning ice dance lessons from a former British ice dance champion. He took her through Bronze dances before leaving the rink. So I wouldn't rule it out completely. Do a trial lesson or two and see how you like it.

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
Can't hurt to try once, right? I'm a beginner ice dancer taking lessons from a former UK National Champion.
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice. The coach is willing to take me in -- my main concerns were (a) if a high-level coach would be overkill for preliminary dances, and (b) if my budget of 1 hour per month would be okay. Based on the replies, it seems I could learn something even if the lessons aren't too frequent. I'll be booking a trial lesson soon -- thanks again, everyone!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:35 PM »
Keep us posted, wish you all the best :)  Hope the coach's high skating level perfectly transferred to his teaching ability!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
I think it is a great idea to try out several coaches. But don't let their contradictions confuse you too much.

BTW, from the test whose video you recently posted here, I think your current coach has done a good job with you. Perhaps that coach is worth keeping as your primary and sole coach.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 12:58:59 AM »
There's only one way to find out!  Take one lesson from the high level coach and see how much you get out of it vs. your regular coach.  If what you get is worth the extra $$, then it would probably be worth it to have a lesson per month from the high level coach.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »
Finally had my trial lesson with the high-level coach. It was worth it! He was able to give me loads of content that my regular coach did not. I think I'll keep both coaches, with the regular coach teaching me new dances and the high-level coach polishing technique. That should deal with the contradiction issue. Now it's just an issue of budgeting.

Thanks for all the advice!