You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Which of these do you find more motivating to you as adult skater:

Watching Elite Skaters
8 (25%)
Watching  Intermediate-Novice-Jr Skaters
1 (3.1%)
Watching Kids Pre-Prelim- Juvenile
0 (0%)
Watching Adult Skaters at the Gold or above on Standard Track
3 (9.4%)
Watching Adult Skaters at any level above mine
14 (43.8%)
Watching Adult Skaters at my level
2 (6.3%)
Watching yourself skate
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Adult Skaters: What Motivates You?  (Read 5320 times)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
Adult Skaters: What Motivates You?
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:58:15 PM »
I was just curious how you all spend your time.  When I am not skating or working on my blog and editing video from my practices, I find myself watching a lot of skating.  Of course I love to watch elite skaters throw their bodies into double and triple jumps and spin in positions that should be against the law, but I personally get a lot of motivation from watching other adults competing, testing and practicing.  I see others struggling with the same issues I have: Strength, balance, skill and stamina, grace and athleticism, all these things require a drive from within that is really difficult for adult skaters.  I commend all of us trying ... Whatever motivates you ... keep doing it!  To those of you who are inspiring me, please don't stop skating!

Happy Landings.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Adult Skaters: What Motivates You?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
I messed up.  I mistakenly chose multiple options and the last option I clicked on was elite skaters.  But if I could choose only one, it would be watching other adult skaters my level or the next level up.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
Mod note: I've changed the polling options - you can now remove your vote and recast it if you'd like.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
I voted for watching myself skate.  I've been doing this a long time and trying to get back to a level that I am happy with since I used to be an elite skater.  I think I am in a pretty good place right now.

But my motivation is party exercise, the reason I mentioned above and because I love skating. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
I voted adult skaters at any level above mine, but really what kept me motivated to skate until the last 18 months or so was skating with a great group of ladies who were MUCH older than me (many nearly twice my age) - because if they could do it, I had no real excuse not to get myself out on the ice and do it too :)

Most of them have moved away in the last 18 months, but they were a GREAT source of encouragement and inspiration, and we really had a great time skating together.  Currently what keeps me motivated is the goals I've set for myself, but if I didn't love skating  and enjoy working towards those goals, I probably wouldn't skate as much as I do.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
Adult skaters at any level above mine.  Especially dance, because I can watch some of that and envision myself actually being able to do it some day, with lots more practice.  I really don't see jumps in my future, and I don't have the flexibility for a lot of the spins, but I can watch a Dutch Waltz and think "hey, I could almost do that someday!" 

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
I also clicked adults above my level, but that doesn't take much!  One of these days I'll get a smart phone and start taking short vids of myself in the hopes that I'll be able to see and improve the mistakes as they happen.  Hope that doesn't become a total buzz-kill!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
I skate for me.  Other people on the ice are great, and I encourage all. But, why I come to the rink is purely selfish.  I love to skate.  I love to glide. I love to jump.  I love to sweat. I love to learn new things.  I love a challenge.  Monday, I had a tough day in my "real" life.  I went to the rink at lunch, no matter what.  I got totally lost in skating, and realized afterwards that I had not thought AT ALL of my other troubles for that entire session.  I am "in the moment" on ice.  i had a rough upbringing, and the ice skating rink was my playground.  Like that Madonna song from the baseball player movie.  This used to be my playground.  Well, it still is.  I'll have to do a routine to that song.   

A very long time ago, my old coach "Bob" from  Miami, Florida's Polar Palace skating rink told me something, that I carry with me today.  He told me to skate for me.  because, he said, it's very unlikely that you'll be the best skater in the United States or the worst skater.  He said to not worry if I think I look silly learning something, that we all look silly.  Bob said, "Even the best fall, just work hard and enjoy it."   Bob moved to Sunrise Skating, I think he opened the rink.  Wish I knew Bob now, or remembered his last name.  My other coach in Miami was Red.  He was an older man then, and skated with Sonia in movies.  Wish I knew him today too.  But, he's probably passed away. :-(

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
Too bad I can't choose more than one option.

What inspires me to skate is watching elite skaters: the beauty and grace that they show on the ice is what makes this sport so great. I wouldn't have started skating if I hadn't watched the Olympics.

However, what motivates me the most to keep skating is seeing how much I am learning, and how I am able to do things that months back were impossible for me. It is immensely fulfilling.

I also like seeing videos of elite skaters before they became elite -- it just shows that everyone in this sport started out doing basic stuff, and maybe even with poor technique. To see how these skaters progress is also inspiring.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
I am inspired when I watch Elite skaters.  We have some Juniors and Seniors at our rinks (and some who have lest recently) who are just amazing to watch.  I am not too enamored of sharing ice with them as they are less likely to share amicably....

I am motivated in the improvements I've made since ANs. :love: :love:

Offline WaltzJump413

• Total GOE: 181
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »

What inspires me to skate is watching elite skaters: the beauty and grace that they show on the ice is what makes this sport so great. I wouldn't have started skating if I hadn't watched the Olympics.

However, what motivates me the most to keep skating is seeing how much I am learning, and how I am able to do things that months back were impossible for me. It is immensely fulfilling.

What a great way to put it, sampaguita! I'm not an adult skater (just started later than most kids/teens). But it's so easy to feel discouraged not "getting" things, and it really does help to look back and see how much improvement's been made. :)
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline WaltzJump413

• Total GOE: 181
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
I accidentally posted twice and couldn't delete the second. :-[
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 04:41:14 PM »
Yes, better put.

Inspired me to skate?  Ice Capades in 1976, Boston, Mass.  Pure beauty.  Not just the solo skater, but the chorus/synchro teams they had, elaborate costumes, beautiful songs, lights, choreography .  . . . and, these people moved in ways I couldn't on land.  It was a dream.

Motivation?  Just me.  I admire other skaters at all ages and levels.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
No question about it for me - elite skaters.

After I watch a competition on TV, I'm all fired up to skate. I guess that I like seeing what is possible even though there's not a chance that I'll ever be able to do it.
Bill Schneider

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »

After I watch a competition on TV, I'm all fired up to skate. I guess that I like seeing what is possible even though there's not a chance that I'll ever be able to do it.
This!! I know I'm always going to look like someone who started skating as an adult, but watching elite skaters is still inspiring to me.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »

Me too- whenever I see high level skating, I feel so excited to get onto the ice and make my toe loop get half an inch off the ice instead of a quarter inch.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
It is motivating for me to watch the kids at the rink progress, regardless of their level. I've seen kids who do these out of control one foot spins develop really nice centered scratch spins. I've seen elite level skaters go from crashing down on half their triple lutzes to never missing. It makes me realize that every achievement takes work, none of it comes by magic, and that progress is incremental.

I also really like watching adults who are at a higher level than me. I think, if they can achieve that, maybe I can too!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »
Best motivator for me is seeing myself skate. And thinking, wow...I really don't look as awkward as I felt!
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »
When I skate with "B," who is close to 80, survived breast cancer, and still does couples program in competitions with her great grand daughter. I hope I am doing the same at her age.

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Until I started sakting 3 maybe 4 years ago I never watched it nor was it ever on my interest horizon.   After skating a few times on rental skates I found it interesting. Then I bought a pair of $20 cheapo skates, got hem sharpened. Got more interesting.

By this time I was only falling down mybe a dozen times per 2 hour sessions.  Then I bought a pair of used MKs amd a apair of used Italian boots. Found skating sarting to be fun. Comments by various instroctors watching me learn and progress was fun and amusing.  I am self taught, elswehere awhile back I wrote on this forum that I have no tolerance for being instructed.

I am now pretty well hooked, skate 2 to 3 times a week for nearly two hours each time.  I have not figured out what motivates me other than the sheer pleasure of getting on the ice an playing around with moves. Am now using Ridells with Gold Seal skates, both a great Ebay find at very low cost. Did hack off 1/2" from back end of each skate.  No more tripping on crossovers :)

It helps that the main rink I skate at is essentiallly mine during the 10AM-12Noon morning session, with occasionally a few others on the ice. Usually instructors with a wee one being herded.   And the ice is nearly perfect most times.

Nota Bene: At my age I don't care if anyone approves or disapproves on how I skate. Benefit of being senior citizen : ))
Though I do get lots of; "you skate nice" and elegant.   Having good posture is a gift.

There is no voting rubrik for "intrinsic motivation for the sheer fun of it"
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.