You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why test?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
Why test?
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
My coach mentioned testing today-I don't think that doing the moves is an unreasonable goal and initially kind of thought sure why not test?  But as I've thought about it tonight I'm less certain-Skating is definitely my favorite form of exercise and recreational activity but taking tests or competing is not my favorite thing.  On the other hand, I like the idea of having a goal to reach because I think that helps me work harder. 

Do you test?  Why or why not? 

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Why test?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:12:36 PM »
I test because I feel like it makes me a better skater.  Deadlines force me to work harder on things I normally would ignore.  Moves tests can be tedious but I do feel like preparing for one helps me physically and mentally in my skating journey.  I have better edges now and it makes a difference in my freeskating.

Testing is also a formal acknowledgement that I _accomplished_ something as a skater.  Once you pass, you don't have to go back and prove yourself again.

Plus, I'd love to be able someday to say "I never have to take another MITF test again, ever!"

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
Plus, I'd love to be able someday to say "I never have to take another MITF test again, ever!"

Love hate situation huh? :)

I asked a very similar question here, then went ahead to take quite a few tests during the past USFS membership year in freestyle, moves, and dance. Sense of accomplishment for sure in the times of plateau. I am still not competing at all.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:43:10 AM »
I test because it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I pass a test and also something to work towards - a tangible goal that gives me something to focus on in lessons and in my practice sessions.

I feel like I have accomplished more while I've been actively working towards tests than I did while I wasn't.  I think about it this way - just one year ago I couldn't complete all of the moves on silver (the stamina/endurance for the spirals was only 'almost' there and the 3's in the field were sometimes there, sometimes not even close, and I would often just work on the turns on a hockey line, not even in pattern because the pattern stressed me out), yet I was able to successfully take and pass that test with only 6 months of serious "work".  If I hadn't set testing them as a goal, I'd probably still not be able to do those moves now.  It's been the same with gold moves.  After I passed silver I went from sometimes being able to do the brackets in the field without bailing and two footing the turns, or at the very least touching a toe down on the back turns, to being able to complete the pattern with all clean turns almost every time I do it in just a couple of months.  A few months later (now) and I'm almost ready to test gold - it's actually one of the double 3's that trips me up, but I can do it fine, it's more of a mental thing (aka fear of falling) that is stopping me at this point, and I just need to get over that and go for it.

My thoughts are, there is NO REASON that you can't work towards a test, even if you don't ever actually test, but you can also view testing (and passing a test) as the "reward" you get for all of your hard work.  As someone who has zero interest in competing, it's all the validation my skating will get :)

My coach and I have actually had discussions about "what's next" if/when I pass my adult golds (I've already told her we'll focus on my bronze and silver freeskate tests once I pass gold moves), and if/when that happens I'll probably continue working on MITF, but I can't see myself pushing for any freeskate levels beyond gold - if I am even able to get an axel or double back to pass that one.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:48:46 AM »
I totally agree with the previous posters. Tests serve as a validation of what you're able to achieve. Sure, you can tell people that I can do this and that, but they can always doubt what you say. If you have an official test result, though, that makes it, well, official.

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »
All valid arguments for testing. I still have no interest in being judged by anybody but myself. I have a bucket list goal of "passing" senior moves. But I doubt I'll ever officially test. I still work on all those moves, work on perfecting every little detail. I film myself a lot and have my coach (she's always saying things like, if you were to test that, it would pass...or you would need to work on xyz before that will pass). It's all individual choice. But I don't do well under pressure. And at thirty-mumble years old, I'm not interested in putting myself through that.
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »
Improving how you perform under pressure can also be a goal of testing  ;D
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »
It's all individual choice. But I don't do well under pressure. And at thirty-mumble years old, I'm not interested in putting myself through that.

I am also thirty-something, and not getting any younger.. I can feel the opportunity ticking away, so I feel a little bit like if I don't work on my tests and take them now, I'll miss my chance.  I don't do particularly well under pressure either but so far I've passed all of my tests (including those dreaded silver moves!) on the first try and that is enormously encouraging, and it's gotten easier (in terms of nerves) each time.  I think getting a retry on a test would be extremely disappointing, but it may also inspire me to work harder.

I can also say that expense aside, I've actually really enjoyed being a member of our club - volunteering with tests sessions and such ends up being a ton of fun, and I love encouraging the younger skaters, and I think for some of them, seeing an adult working on tests helps them feel like it's something they can do too - after all, I'm old, so if I can do it, so can they :)

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
I am 40 and passed my last dance test a month ago.  You are never too old.

I woud agree with the sense of accomplishment and validation.  But then again I just love the performance aspect of skating and rise to that so it is something I really enjoy.  I also have done it my entire life.

Lots of people though have no interest at all in being judged so it really is a personal preference.  A few retries can really discourage a skater, especially an adult since we have a shorter timeline for testing than kids do.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »
I feel like I have accomplished more while I've been actively working towards tests than I did while I wasn't. 

This. I would not be the same skater I'm today without all the time working towards tests.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
And at thirty-mumble years old, I'm not interested in putting myself through that.
I was 49 when I passed PB MITF and FS this year.  I was crazy nervous, but it proved to myself that I *can* skate.  There's something to be said about validation and those patches and certificates.

I'm working toward the Bronze tests now to prove to myself that I can do it and to prove that I am overcoming the lung and breathing issues that slowed me back down to a crawl.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
I have always hated testing and competing, but I do it because it makes me a much better skater.  I hate pressure, but I need goals and deadlines (and pressure, unfortunately) in order to really devote my energy to something.  I passed my Intermediate moves-in-the-field two years ago (at age 46) and have been "working" on the Novice MIF but I have been making practically no progress because I don't have any plans to take that test (and I don't need it in order to compete at the level I want to).  Based on this evidence, it's clear to me that I never would have made the progress I've made up to now if I hadn't been committed to taking all those MIF and freestyle tests!  I would highly recommend that you commit to testing because that's the only way you will find out how good a skater you're capable of becoming! :)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
I'm 44, turning 45 this week.  I passed pre-preliminary bronze MIF and freestyle last month.  Makes you a better skater, and the tests are designed for skating development.  It can take a year or so to pass a test. I believe I will pass my bronze tests pretty easily, but silver and, deifinately gold tests are going to be a challenge.

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
It's not that I feel I'm too old to test. It's about how I don't enjoy being judged by others or putting myself through those nerves. Never have. And as I get older, I don't see a need to overcome my nerves. I have my coach. I take a lot of video of my skating. I know what it feels like. I really enjoy skating. That's good enough for me. I'm certainly not knocking testing. I think it's great. But it would make me puke with nerves. No thanks...  ;)
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »
Testing goals keep me afloat when I am low. The first several years of skating was an upward trajectory and I did not need such goals to keep myself motivated. Skating gets harder and harder, I could see the importance of a quantifiable, "one thing at a time" testing goal.

Now that further freestyle testing is out (not working on axel jump), I am spending more time on dance and moves. Fingers crossed not to hit an "99% impossible" obstacle too soon!! (major hurdles discussion here)