You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: what is a reasonable age gap for pairs skaters (children)??  (Read 1410 times)

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 1
Sheer curiosity at this stage: what sort of age/size difference would be too big or too small for a "competitive" pair? (ambition of say qualifying to nationals one day).

And is it different for dance vs figure pairs?

My own skaters are just beginners but a couple of them are becoming vocal about planning to (figure) skate together one day. They're only 2.5 years apart so I'm not sure if that's too close in age/size??

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
Re: what is a reasonable age gap for pairs skaters (children)??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
My brother and I did dance and we were 3 years apart.  It was common for an age gap I think.  I think it really depends on the maturity of the skater.  I heard of a pairs team where the girl was like 16 and the guy was 21 or so.  It was just too big an age gap because they just were too different in an emotional/socially development way.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
dance / pair would be fun! No need to worry about 2.5 age gap at all.
What about their relative size at the moment? Best of luck!!!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
Most start skating with their coach and the age gap can only get smaller from there.

I do not remember details, but I there was a girl who asked her coach to take her through her senior pairs test.  Afterwards, she asked him to skate at sectionals with her.  Since this is pairs, they got a bye and skated Senior at Nationals, where they did pretty well.  The girl was 16 at nationals and the coach was more than twice that.  Another coach was hired to coach the team.  I'm not sure if I would call them "competitive" because as far as I know they were just doing it for fun, not to qualify for anything, but they skated at nationals.

Size difference is more important in pairs than dance because of the twists and throws.  In dance, looking similar can be helpful (see Gamelin and Gamelin, twins who compete senior dance).  However, I think good technique and having fun are more important than what your partner looks like.