You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Insecurities  (Read 2333 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Skating Insecurities
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »
So I wanna skate on Package Ice sessions, in our rink its the time where the ice is limited to 24 skaters at any level. But I feel insecure about it, like I feel like other skaters will judge me based on my skating and because im still a low level skater. Any advice on how to overcome this?

Whats some of your skating insecurities? Have you overcame them?

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Skating Insecurities
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
Everyone is a little insecure skating at a new rink or unfamiliar session, no matter what the level. Not to make you more insecure, but yes, everyone will be looking to see who the new person is. Just skate anyway and don't pay any atttention to them. Just do your thing.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
Well, everyone had to start from scratch, no? Just skate with pride, and familiarize yourself with freestyle rules. Be friendly and aware, you will be just fine ;D

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
The best advice I can give is to just go and keep going.  You'll learn the lay of the land and get comfortable with the sessionn just through being there.  And other people will get used to you being there the same way :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
The best advice I can give is to just go and keep going.  You'll learn the lay of the land and get comfortable with the sessionn just through being there.  And other people will get used to you being there the same way :)

What Amy said.

Go in and skate and be serious about your skating. Don't go in looking to be included in all the 'reindeer games'. Learn the patterns for moves and pay attention to who is skating.  Don't hog a corner or a circle. Know where the lutz corners, harness alley and spin areas are. Keep your eyes up so you don't skate into people. Don't skate backwards without looking over your shoulder. Don't interrupt a lesson. Don't interrupt another skater's practice to ask them how they do 'x'.

I assume you're a teen or you wouldn't ask this question. But if you're an adult, same-o same-o.

I was on freestyle from the time I was in Beta after the skating director realized I had eyes in the back of my head (thanks to residual horse show reflexes).  Being able to stay out of other skaters' way seems to be a core skill for newbies to have. Also no hogging is valued (people HATE that--don't hang out in your 'safe' area). My skating is still clearly beginner level (stupid injuries) but I've never had any issues with other skaters (and I share ice with National level skaters--no one famous).

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
Like Jane said everyone started somewhere. 

Just go in and skate.  Don't feel like people are watching you, just skate.  Hope you have fun.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
If you are a low level skater, they may look displeased to see you on their session, but it isn't personal; it's only because they're afraid you might not have good enough skating skills to get out of their way when they are setting up their jumps or skating their programs.  The best thing you can do is to stay aware of everything 360 degrees around you at all times, and stay  close to the wall whenever you aren't practicing something specific.  If someone is skating her program, don't wait until she comes close to you to move; if you don't know where she's going next, stay at the wall until you know for sure she isn't coming your direction.  Once they see that you are conscientious and aren't making them abort their jumps or step sequences, you'll find that everyone is probably pretty friendly. :)