You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Guys with Zucas  (Read 9906 times)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Guys with Zucas
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
Adults don't use zucas in our area ;) ... They seem to vanish at about age 12 when they switch to almost as expensive lululemon or TNA gym bags (can you tell I'm Canadian!). Honestly I think guys can use whatever they want. My guy uses a transpack bag because sometimes there is a bit of time until skates can be aired and the mesh side pockets help. He's never come out of the guys change room with comments about other guys skatebags...

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
Most of the kids at our rink have Zucas. 

And in fact I saw my first adult with one at the rink yesterday.  Kind of caught me off guard but I figure the pro shop must be carrying them so that is why she had one.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »
I know an adult that has a zuca, most tend to use those skate shaped bags around here, more kids use suitcases at my current rink, and I use a Lululemon gym bag because it's sturdy and it was a moving present from my closest friend and her mom. Well, I told them it was, they gave me a good luck gift card and I spent it on my gym bag. New rink, new bag. And it's perfect. I couldn't do a zuca because I carry too much stuff in my bag, and I have to carry it up 3 flights of stairs because I don't like keeping my skates in my car. So a gym bag was more practical. I had a transpack for 2 years, but I could never find anything in it, and the outside pockets were starting to break.

My old rink was LITTERED with Zucas. My mom's first exposure to zucas was a competition she came with me to a few years back, around when those kiss n cry bags were becoming popular. She asked why I didn't have either one, and I told her the Zucas wouldn't fit my stuff but that I'd just not thought about getting a kiss n cry bag, and two weeks later one showed up at my doorstep. She thought it was practical. It was. :) I just haven't used it much since I moved since I only take a water bottle and my guards out onto the ice currently. They're not as much of a thing down here.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
Lots of the adult skaters I know have Zucas, including at least one guy. They're probably the most popular skate bag among adults at my rink, whereas with kids it's more evenly split between Zucas, transpacks and other rolling suitcases.

After our group class, all the adults sit together to take off our skates, and those with Zucas sit on them to form a circle with the benches. I joke that we look like a Rainbo Sports ad.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
After our group class, all the adults sit together to take off our skates, and those with Zucas sit on them to form a circle with the benches. I joke that we look like a Rainbo Sports ad.

You should take a picture and send it to them!  I bet they'd put it on the web site, or use it in one of their email blasts!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
Maybe someone on here knows - what in the blue blazes is a kiss and cry bag?!?!?!?!!? And why on earth does one need one?

May have told this story before, but the first competition my Dad came to watch, he saw a few girls dragging Zucas and was fascinated by the light-up wheels. He promptly asked where mine was. I asked if he was going to give me the $150 for it. The look on his face was  :o
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
A "Kiss & Cry"  bag is something that holds water, tissues, music, etc. for a figure skater.  I've never seen anyone actually use one (see link) in the Kiss & Cry; it's more common at practices since you can bring it on the ice with you and set it on the barrier.

http://www.sportswithstyle.com/kiss-and-cry-rink-totes/

I've seen a lot of Caboodles train box/totes and shower caddy totes from Bed, Bath & Beyond more often during practices.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
Maybe someone on here knows - what in the blue blazes is a kiss and cry bag?!?!?!?!!? And why on earth does one need one?

May have told this story before, but the first competition my Dad came to watch, he saw a few girls dragging Zucas and was fascinated by the light-up wheels. He promptly asked where mine was. I asked if he was going to give me the $150 for it. The look on his face was  :o

a fancy looking tote for what you may or may not need
http://www.kissandcryangels.com/
came up when googled (a bit rich for my taste, but then again I was introduced to bags that are even pricier and look like plain gym bags....)
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
A "Kiss & Cry"  bag is something that holds water, tissues, music, etc. for a figure skater.  I've never seen anyone actually use one (see link) in the Kiss & Cry; it's more common at practices since you can bring it on the ice with you and set it on the barrier.

http://www.sportswithstyle.com/kiss-and-cry-rink-totes/

I've seen a lot of Caboodles train box/totes and shower caddy totes from Bed, Bath & Beyond more often during practices.

.......oh.

Hanky in my pocket, water on the barrier, music on the table next to the CD player with everyone else's...

I've only seen ONE of these at my rink. The skater in question brought it back from America. I don't think they've caught on here.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
I have a kiss and cry bag. Mom bought it for me. Went to my first adult comp and I had mom with me and she saw the little girls from my rink toting them on their Zucas and she looks at me and says "Why don't you have one???" and I said I wasn't sure and that it had just become a fad at the rink recently, and that all the little girls carry their rink stuff in them on the ice. She then runs up to one of the bags to figure out the brand and where to get it and says "When we get back I'm buying you one".

I was like, OK!  :love:

They're not as popular at my current rink, but I use mine because I can keep my guards, water bottle, scarf and phone in it. It's convenient.

(girl btw, never seen guys with them, but I'm sure if you wanted one you could find something like it in a manly color, unless you like pink, purple, bright green or orange lol) :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
.......oh.

Hanky in my pocket, water on the barrier, music on the table next to the CD player with everyone else's...

I've only seen ONE of these at my rink. The skater in question brought it back from America. I don't think they've caught on here.

There wouldn't be space at my rink. There's only a small stretch of open barrier by the hockey boxes and there's only enough space for water and CD on it. If you bring anything else it needs to sit on the benches outside the rink.
Although, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone brings one back from America...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
FWIW, the skaters who started using totes at our rink brought back the idea from a Canadian summer skating camp several years ago.  It was encouraged because they had so many skaters who didn't know each other, so keeping things organized was a good thing and prevented mixups and misunderstandings.  Plus, that particular camp uses the rink walls for drills and demonstrations, so it needed to be accessible.

The website of the company who trademarked the "K&C" name shows several Australian retailers and they just signed up two European vendors.  Maybe you will see the trend reach your rinks. 

It does make sense to use a tote if you have to bring a rulebook/notebook, pen/pencil, multiple CDs, MP3/iPod, headphones, tissues, guards and a drink out on the ice for practices.  This way, everything is in one place - the clutter of multiple iPhones, water bottles, tissue packs/boxes and books is a PITA to have scattered across the barrier.  Not to mention all the things that get dropped on the trip across the ice, and the return trips to collect forgotten items.

I bring a shoulder tote out and hang it off the box side of the door, which works fine to keep my stuff together and handy without being in the way.  The price of the linked item is a turnoff, though when there are perfectly good alternatives that cost much less.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 12:49:53 PM »

Certainly haven't caught on here, and I'm in America!  There would be no room for skaters to have these. Barely enough room for a pack of tissues and the occasional notebook or discarded jacket that skaters put on the boards.

The totes would keep it organized, but make sharing the space more difficult.  I can put my water bottle behind someone's pack of tissues for instance. The tote takes up an amount of space that would be only for one skater.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
The totes would keep it organized, but make sharing the space more difficult.  I can put my water bottle behind someone's pack of tissues for instance. The tote takes up an amount of space that would be only for one skater.

We have tons of them at one of the rinks I skate at. Mostly the younger "tween" type girls. We all put our things on the boards in front of the hockey box, and all carry some sort of bag with us to keep our stuff organized. Otherwise you have guards, jackets, notebooks, water, tissue boxes and all sorts of other things spread all over the boards. These keep everyone down to a smaller space.

Many of us, though, use small totes and simply put the tote on the hockey bench while pulling out the couple of things necessary and placing those on the boards.

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
A few guys with Zuca's at our rink. One is a coach and has the bright orange insert. Really suits him. Another is a superb dancer,  black frame with the black and white hot rod flames insert. Just too cool, also really suits him. His daughter has a purply one with lots of sparkles.

I have a black frame with a denim insert. I bought a black frame off ebay and a new blue insert for my 13 year old daughter. We have a family of 5 who wear mostly natural fabrics and like ironed clothes. Miss 13 did all the ironing for almost a month to earn it. The comments from the other rink parents were hilarious. They all thought it was genius to make her earn it and were deeply impressed that I extracted so much ironing.  :blush:

Miss 8 has coveted an Ice Halo for some time. She has volunteered to do all the folding (undies, socks, towels) for a few weeks too.
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/