You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dance skates question  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Dance skates question
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
Thinking about switching to dance boots and blades since that is primarily what I do and compete in. However, if I switch to dance boots and blades, does that mean I will no longer be le to work on my single jumps through lutz loop? I just like doing the jumps but probably wont ever.compete in freestyle skating.
Thanks

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Dance skates question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »
You could get synchro blades... which would be the best of both worlds, because they're basically shortened freestyle blades unlike traditional dance blades which usually have a different pick configuration.  The coronation dance is an exception to that and another possibility - the picks are exactly the same as the regular coro ace, the blade just has a shorter tail.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
You could get synchro blades... which would be the best of both worlds, because they're basically shortened freestyle blades unlike traditional dance blades which usually have a different pick configuration.  The coronation dance is an exception to that and another possibility - the picks are exactly the same as the regular coro ace, the blade just has a shorter tail.

I totally agree with Sarahspins - try a Synchro blade.  They are usually cheaper as well  ;D

You can do a little freestyle in the Wilson Superdance 99 because the picks are fine for freestyle.  MK Dance has very small blunted picks and I can't do any freestyle in them whatsoever, not even a scratch spin (which I can in the SuperDance 99.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
I used to do single jumps and spins in MK Dance blades.  In fact once I started coaching I was determined to do a double loop and got it eventually.  (the kids I taught seemed to like my working on something as well and I do love the local jump).  Layback skins not as easy in dance blades.

You will find though the rocker is sooooooo different in dance blades that it will take quite a while to get used to them and be comfortable enough to jump. 

I just got dance boots and they are very low cut.  Try them on carefully before buying.  I was kind of surprised how low they are once I started breaking them in.  Now I can't imagine anything else.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:59 PM »
I used to do single jumps and spins in MK Dance blades.  In fact once I started coaching I was determined to do a double loop and got it eventually.  (the kids I taught seemed to like my working on something as well and I do love the local jump).  Layback skins not as easy in dance blades.

You will find though the rocker is sooooooo different in dance blades that it will take quite a while to get used to them and be comfortable enough to jump. 

I just got dance boots and they are very low cut.  Try them on carefully before buying.  I was kind of surprised how low they are once I started breaking them in.  Now I can't imagine anything else.

I was thinking the same thing about dance boots - it really depends on the dance boot I guess - my SP Teri supposed dance boot is really not that low cut - and it depends on how comfortable a person feels with that back-stay thing that some of the dance boots have.

I have noticed that other skaters can still freestyle in their MK Dance whereas for me it was like night and day.  With the MK Dance I COULD NOT DO ANYTHING freestyle related whereas on the other dance blades I could... so it must have something to do with how that rocker works (or doesn't work) for me).

I should take my own advice and get some Synchro blades!! :blush:

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »
OMG the rocker on MK dance blades is nuts.  I had Wilson dance blades first then MK, holy adjustment and when I had to buy my own skates I went back to the cheaper Wilson (or whatever they are now) dance and they brought back memories as I readjusted.  Now when someone is trying to get used to MK dance blades injustice smile and say "ya feels like you are falling forward".

I got Wifa dance boots and while they look gorgeous :) they are a good inch or two shorter than my other boots. Like barely come up higher than my ankle bones.  I can get incredible lean in them, I have even since July managed to wear a bit of the sole down on the side at the ball of my foot.

But not to scare the OP but dance blades will be a big adjustment but they are worth it.  You will get lots more flow because of their thinness and none of that will I step on my blades when doing a mohawk.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
I had dance boots but went back to freestyle even though I don't jump. I just never felt secure in them (which is of course totally my individual issue) and it was so nice to go back to a freestlye boot.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
I can understand that Agnes.  Dance boots are quite low cut.  The first time I steppe on bthe ice in them I felt like I had no ankle support but now I love them.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »
If you think dance boots are low cut, check out speed skate boots - below the ankle AND speed skating blades don't have a hollow - YIKES!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 04:05:15 AM »
The Riedell boots with the fabric back give a best of both worlds as they're tough enough for jumping and have enough give at the back for toe pointing in dance.
Also consider synchro boots as they're designed to be able to do jumps in. I use synchro boots and blades for dance and have jumped in them, but because I normally wear different boots for free, I'm sometimes caught out by the low cut back.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
Can someone explain what a synchro boot is?

E.g., does it have most of the point/flex flexibility of a Dance boot, but most of the lateral ankle support of a freestyle boot?

The Jackson Synchro Boot has a "bark" color, while someone on this board said the current style in Synchro is white. What gives?

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
I would think that is the case for synchro boot differences. I kind of think there might be something good different with the tongue.
And I said beige is "out". I guess there are still some beige diehard.  We were discussing this the other day at synchro.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
The Jackson synchro boot comes in either beige (style 3400) or white (style 3410) as standard.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
I am also thinking about changing to dance boots and blades. My coach really hates my not pointed toes, so I feel I don't have much choice now. I am not sure about which boots and which blades. I quite like Jackson dance boots, does anyone here have them?

With the blades, I am thinking between MK dance and Wilson super dance 99.  (I don't think I want Coronation dance, because I am used to slimmer blades, the Phantom special is slimmer at the bottom of the blade, so I don't want to go back to wider blade). MK dance and Wilson super dance 99 are both slimline. Now, should I go for MK dance or Wilson dance 99? I am used to  rocker 7, so MK dance may have more sense (Wilson dance 99 has rocker 8 ). But then again the blade will be shorter and I may be rocking too much forward/backwards (especially with lower boots that I am not used to),  so maybe Wilson dance 99 would give me the stability? But I am not sure if I manage to spin with rocker 8. 

Any opinions on that? Your experience of changing from freeskate boots/blades to dance boots/blades? (please can you write what boots/blades you had, what you changed into and what were your difficulties with the change). Thank you very much for your advice.  :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
I have skated in both the MK Dance and the Super Dance 99 - both are very short and the MK Dance has very minimal blunted picks.  I cannot imagine doing much freestyle on them.

I could do some freestyle in the Super Dance 99 and the picks are okay for jumping - I can do NO freestyle in the MKs - some people can but most do not.

Why not get the dance boot and stay with the Phantom Special?  Or maybe I am not reading this right and you are not a freestyle skater?

The Super Dance 99 are shorter than the MK Dance by about a half inch (yes, even in the same size) -

I am also wondering about the boots themselves - I know that a few years ago it seemed that one of the boot-brands that was popular (was it Jackson?) made it looked like your toes were pointing up no matter how hard you pointed your toes... maybe switch to a different boot, keep the Phantom Specials if you like that blade?

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »

Why not get the dance boot and stay with the Phantom Special?  Or maybe I am not reading this right and you are not a freestyle skater?

I am (or have always been)  a freeskater, but my hip injury and hip surgery means that I can't jump at the moment. The injury has been going on for 16 months now, the operation about 5-6 months ago. I started with ice dance about 2 years ago. It was originally meant to be just to improve my basics but when I got injured I couldn't jump so I started doing only dance (and field moves). I really hope that I will come back to freeskating one day, but I don't think it will be in the near future (within 3-6 months). The hip is not getting much better at the moment.

I would like to keep my freeskating boots (with their blades) ready for me as they are. If I take off the blades and start using it on the dance boots, it seems to me like if I am giving up on my freeskating. It feels like admitting that I won't come back to it, and I am not ready to make that decision yet. I miss freeskating really badly. So if I buy dance boots, I will have to buy blades too, so I thought I may as well buy dance blades, if I am changing the boots.   

Just curious, is it easier to do twizzles on dance blades or on freeskating blades? I am useless at twizzles, and I am wondering if they actually get better or worse on dance blades.  :)

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Husband went from MK Pros to Super Dance 99. It took him quite some time to adjust. He got dance boots at the same time (custom Harlicks), so there was a double adjustment, but even so, from my observations, the blades seemed to take a bit longer to get used to due to the different rockers, different blade length and smaller toe pick.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
Husband went from MK Pros to Super Dance 99. It took him quite some time to adjust. He got dance boots at the same time (custom Harlicks), so there was a double adjustment, but even so, from my observations, the blades seemed to take a bit longer to get used to due to the different rockers, different blade length and smaller toe pick.

This is the eternal "new boots and new blades at the same time?" question. What's it better to do. Change everything all at once, or change first one thing then then other.
I have a friend who's more advanced than me, who does one at a time. I do everything all at once. I'm of the philosophy that if I'm going to be miserable for 5 weeks while I adjust to a change, I might as well get it over with all at once. My skating's pretty rough for the first few weeks. My friend is of the philosophy that he wants to minimize the change so his skating is consistent through the change so he does as little  as possible at any one time. At the end of my change I'm over it. He's still adjusting, although his skating never gets to the rough edges mine initially has after a change.
Probably this is only important to rec skaters, coaches and skaters of a high enough level probably aren't affected much.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/